Start by marking “First Flight (Generation Icarus, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Flight (Generation Icarus, #1)

Read Excerpt

First Flight (Generation Icarus #1)

I was just an ordinary teenager with ordinary problems. Then my body started changing. Growing. I realized I wasn’t normal. I’m not even human.

Rejected, terrified, confused, all I could do was run away, find somewhere safe to hide and figure things out. Then I discovered I wasn’t alone.

We have only one way to survive.

Fly.

When teenager Tyler Owen develops a bit of back pain
Paperback, 2, 472 pages
Published December 7th 2013 by Nineteenth House Publishing (first published November 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Flight

Sweetp-1
This is a strong debut novel from New Zealand author J L Pawley.

I read a lot of YA books but have been getting a bit tired of the "sameness" of the genre - the ever present love triangle, the lack of originality (especially within the dystopia novels) and the angst upon angst that can feel overdone in books where the plot ends up being little more than the romance.

First Flight feels like something new. There's a freshness to the idea that I really enjoyed and while there is a hint of a love tria
Kathleen Dixon
Humanity has dreamed of flying ever since first recognising the beauty of birds in the sky. We picture angels with wings, when flight is not in itself a necessary part of their various roles. And while the engineering of spaceships is about exploration, the first impetus for developing mechanical flight was the dream.

When I said I'd like to review this book, the flying was the major drawcard. I also enjoy a lot of teen fantasy, so there was no hesitation. The only thing that might have gone wron
Phillip Simpson
Aug 29, 2013 Phillip Simpson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this debut novel from fellow New Zealand author, J.L. Pawley.

Like some other reviewers, I’ve grown a bit tired of love triangles in YA so it was refreshing to see a book with only a hint of it. Some romance was present but it wasn’t in my face.

Pawley has a strong writing style. Pacing is good, there’s excellent character development and the dialogue between characters is also good. I particularly enjoyed the religious vs the scientific elements as they are personal interest area
Kristin
May 26, 2015 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This was INCREDIBLE. Great to see someone stepping out from my own country, and someone as talented as Pawley! Totally blown away by the quality and the realistic properties of the book.
Evynlin Diae
Jun 18, 2015 Evynlin Diae rated it it was amazing
From the moment I saw the cover on Wattpad I was hooked.
Hi, I'm Evynlin, also known as Wings, and I am OBSESSED with human/bird hybrids.
Guess what this book is about?
Right.
I didn't know this book was published when I first read it, but it soon became apparent. Not only is Pawley's writing style upbeat and in-the-moment, the grammar impeccable (it has to be for a published book, of course, but on Wattpad that's rather rare), but it's very clear that Pawley did her research.
Going back to that
Chard Copping
Jun 26, 2014 Chard Copping rated it it was amazing
I read First Flight over a year ago now, when it was first published. I was immediately drawn in by the premise of the book and the engaging writing style. I loved it so much I had to add a review on Amazon. I have since read the sequel 'Second Chance', as well as the companion novel 'Kestrel', and all I can say is that the writing gets better with each addition. I found myself getting really hooked on the characters. It's a cliche comment, but I really felt like I was getting to know them. This ...more
Hannah
May 28, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
First Flight has blown me away (haha see what I did there? Blown me away with the Flight's wings? ....No? Okay then) Tyler slowly finds out about his new abilities and instead of immediately knowing how to use them (like some books), he doesn't and has to learn bit by bit by studying the mechanics of flying (good research there Jessica!). When Kestrel shows up, the tension indeed builds up between Tyler and Miguel as they vie for her attention. This book does not shove the love triangle in your ...more
爱心❤
Apr 14, 2013 爱心❤ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a welcome break from all the typical YA books that seem to all have in-your-face love triangles that I get so sick of (UGH!). Although there was romance, it wasn't what the story was entirely focused on, as many novels are now.
It had strong narration and I enjoyed the style of writing. I also liked the fact that they were from all around the world, and I liked the link to New Zealand.
The plot was interesting, especially the flying. Most people have been through a phase when they want to
Ali Lane
Jun 13, 2015 Ali Lane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults to adults seeking adventure
Recommended to Ali by: Wattpad
I read this book because I didn't have anything else to read at the time, and I thought it would be a badly written book as I found it on Wattpad. I thought, "what the heck?" and read it. I didn't expect to fall in love with it and suddenly crave more, but that's exactly what happened. I got sucked into the world of the Icari. I have yet to find anything similar and I doubt I ever will. There is a magic to this story that is hard to find: a real fear for the wellbeing of these characters. You ...more
Teresa Henderson
Aug 08, 2015 Teresa Henderson rated it it was amazing
I read this on Wattpad and immediately wondered why on Earth James' Patterson's series wasn't like this. The plot and characters are what I expected Maximum Ride to be. That being said, this is an awesome YA series. It deals with issues that face today's teenagers in practical, realistic ways. I could see myself reacting in much the same manner as many of the characters in the same situation. Of special note is the character Condor - quietly religious without being offensive about it. Thank ...more
Ella Halstead
Apr 04, 2013 Ella Halstead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really good, because it's different to other Young Adult books I have read.
I think it was well written, although some of the bird names/human names were a bit confusing.
I liked the Evolutionaries and Angelists part of the book, and also how there was a New Zealand element to it with Tui.
I also thought it was clever that they had to build up their muscles to fly, instead of growing wings and being able to fly instantly.
Over all I gave First Flight four stars, because I thou
Emma Pullar
Nov 30, 2013 Emma Pullar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love JL Pawley's writing style. The characters are easy to follow on their amazing journey and I totally believed the description of flight. If I didn't know better I would say the author had wings! I would recommend this book to anyone aged twelve-years-old to adults. I read a lot of YA and First Flight is up there with the best of them. I'm looking forward to book two and I really hope someone makes this into a film.
Gagaga149
May 26, 2015 Gagaga149 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on the site wattpad.com because I found JLPawley on there, and thought to myself, "Wow. This person seems like a really great author!" JLPawley IS, in fact, an amazing author, and I loved following the plot of the book. JLPawley really makes her characters come to life, and I love her books so much!
Ricky
Chalk up another excellent Wattpad find for the list with this one. It's a high-intensity hybrid of Max Ride and Orphan Black, told in three different voices. The action doesn't seem to ever want to stop once the story gets going - which is great because there are three more books, all fully available on Wattpad for those of you who, like me, don't spend money on ebooks.
BrownHairedWeasley
Jun 08, 2015 BrownHairedWeasley rated it it was amazing
Unlike other books of winged kids, First Flight covers all possibilities of flight and opens a whole nother door to the thought of taking flight. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and reccommend it for everyone, of all ages!
Laurence Mifsud
Apr 10, 2015 Laurence Mifsud rated it it was amazing
This was my first book from J L Pawling....and it won't be my last!!!

Throughly enjoyed the characters and their uniqueness, which turned this into a great page turner.
BrokenMoment
May 26, 2015 BrokenMoment rated it it was amazing
Amazingly written and very well paced. As soon as I started reading it I was completely hooked. The characters are very interesting. By far my favorite book, that I have ever read,
Amy Ryde
Jun 15, 2015 Amy Ryde rated it it was amazing
This is a really amazing book. I couldn't put it down! The feelings this book created had my head spinning and wanting more.
Tiffany Howard
May 27, 2015 Tiffany Howard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book to no end. It's so creative and full of twists and turns that I didn't expect. This is definitely on of my most favorite books I've ever read.
Lenny
Jun 29, 2015 Lenny rated it it was amazing
Holy Hera, I could NOT put this book down. I have a feeling this series is definitely going to pull me out off my reading slump.
Nel
Jun 07, 2015 Nel rated it it was amazing
Best series ever completely thrilling and impossible to stop reading
Alyx Barter
May 25, 2015 Alyx Barter rated it really liked it
This book is honestly one of the most refreshing YA stories out there. The characters are well fleshed out, the plot is engaging and follows in a sequence that makes sense, and let's face it, their life is /hard/. Do they have wings? Yes. Can they fly with the grace of a bird? AHAHA No. They need to /work/ for it- never look a gift horse in the mouth.
There are several incredibly nice things about this book that go beyond the plot and the WINGS, that separates it from most other books.
First is t
Janee Polino
Sep 19, 2015 Janee Polino rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Janee by: Wattpad
I have read all 4 books in this series, INCLUDING every Origin book regarding each of the main characters, Hawk, Condor, Kestrel, Falcon, Tui, Owl & Raven. Each will touch your heart as a whole. I HIGHLY recommend this Series which include Second Chance, Third Time Lucky, and Final Stand in that order.

Their journey and the experiences they endure throughout will make your own spirit soar higher, and you will find your emotions running on high on many levels as you're taken on this unforgetta
Shelley Iñón
Oct 05, 2013 Shelley Iñón rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I would like this novel as it was outside of my usual genre but JL Pawley is a magician with her world building. Instead of throwing together a magical book where nothing is properly thought out this author encourages the reader to participate in all of the characters' dilemmas. It is so well researched that I really felt like I was flying with them.

Like all first novels of a trilogy it starts slowly but by the second half of the novel I found it impossible to put down. To the
Chelsea
Apr 10, 2014 Chelsea rated it liked it
Overall, I loved the plot. I enjoyed the characters and liked the fact that they all had a unique background. However, I had a hard time with some of the language used. The narration became overly colloquial randomly and it felt like an interruption in the flow of the text. I also wish that we had had a chance to see more actual interaction between Condor and Hawk before we hear Hawk say that Condor is his "best friend" after it seemed like they were both just trying to survive for a 100 or so ...more
Taylah-ann
Jan 03, 2016 Taylah-ann rated it really liked it
Great for any fan of maximum ride!
Story differs from maximum ride in many ways which is GREAT, the only similarities including kids with wings and government-like baddies after em. Otherwise, completely different story that is so good it should not/does not need to be compared to another.
Tfelg
Aug 03, 2016 Tfelg rated it it was amazing
Great story. Very imaginative and fast paced. It is hard to put down at times. Will read the next one soon
Rachna Gupta
Rachna Gupta rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Annabelle
Annabelle rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Angie
Mar 12, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come...
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Book Loving Kiwis: Exclusive book giveaway 17 42 Apr 06, 2013 01:15PM
J L Pawley is a young author of multiple books across many genres. She has a Diploma in Creative Writing and a Bachelor of Arts in English and Media Studies. She signed her first publishing contract at age 22 and is now independently published. She is currently studying English at postgraduate level at Massey University in Auckland, New Zealand, but can be found hanging out at www.wattpad.com most ...more
More about J L Pawley...

Generation Icarus (4 books)
  • Second Chance (Generation Icarus, #2)
  • Third Time Lucky (Generation Icarus, #3)
  • Final Stand (Generation Icarus, #4)