Start by marking “The Minstrel in the Tower” as Want to Read:
The Minstrel in the Tower

The Minstrel in the Tower

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  372 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
An adventurous rescue set in the time of medieval knights, castles, bandits, and music.

Before their father returns to France from the Crusades, daring Alice and musical Roger set off on their own journey: to find their long-lost uncle. But on the way, the siblings are kidnapped and locked in an ancient hidden tower. To finish their quest, they need to escape—and fast! Can
Published April 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1988)

Vertrees
Jan 05, 2016 Vertrees rated it it was amazing
Read with my 7 yo. Good story, great to talk about towers, castles, moats.
Lisa
Nov 11, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A reader for young children set in the year 1195 during the time of King Richard the Lionheart. Their mother deathly ill and their father on crusade, a penniless brother and sister set out for Bordeaux to locate their uncle Raimond, a rich baron, who they hope will be able to rescue their mother from her illness. The only thing they bring with them is a prized lute decorated with a soaring eagle so they can sing for their food. On the way they make some shifty acquaintances.
Miss Amanda
Mar 20, 2015 Miss Amanda rated it really liked it
gr 3-4 62pgs

1195, France. The Crusades have been over for a year and still Roger and Alice's father has not returned. When their mother becomes deathly ill, she tells them to take her lute to Lord Raimond, their mother's brother. Alice and Roger are shocked to learn they have an uncle and that he is a lord, will they be able to find him in time?

Interesting story.
Apr 01, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
This book was simple and quick to read. It wasn't the worst way to introduce the middle ages to children through story. It wasn't the most exciting and well written book we've read so far, but my kids enjoyed it and were able to follow the story. I personally would have liked to see more character development and smoother transitions from scene to scene.
Heather
I read this over a year ago and finally read it to the kids. I think it's a decent book, but not great. You don't learn a whole lot about the historical era (year 1195) which is one of my main reasons for seeking out historical fiction so in that aspect it fell short. The boy is portrayed as rather weak, but he does 'come into his own' later while the girl is very tom-boyish and strong. Being the mother of all boys I typically try to stay away from 'boys are weak' type books.

The boys thought th
Alison Treat
Jan 12, 2015 Alison Treat rated it liked it
I read this with the kids for their homeschool curriculum. It was a very simple story, pretty predictable, and definitely not as good as most of the read-alouds we enjoy. But the kids enjoyed it.
Kristine Hansen
Two children must travel across France in the Middle Ages to find their uncle. Full of adventure, you can't help but admire both plucky Alice and her brother Roger as they find their courage and learn from each other. My daughter really loved this one.
Lydia Smith
Oct 08, 2015 Lydia Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-kids
Good historical fiction for Savannah
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: sonlight-core-c
A good short early reader to go along with a study of medieval times. My daughter enjoyed it.
Susan
Apr 16, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I wonder whether my opinion of this was affected by knowing it was written intentionally to be an easy read for middle-school students. I would've pegged it for a much younger audience. To me, the story line seemed to be oversimplified along with the language. It's a fine little story, but there's just not much to it. In the time of the crusades, sister and brother have an urgent errand to do because their mother is desparately ill, they run afoul of some bad guys, and the reader can pretty well ...more
Mishael
Jun 14, 2014 Mishael rated it it was amazing
cool book it says its history i wonder if it really happened in the past
Mckinley
Jul 11, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Quick read.
Joanne Styger
Oct 31, 2013 Joanne Styger rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
I read this to my girls as part of our history curriculum. Though not a great story or great history, it is a good, simple story about two children living in medieval times. I think it fits best to a 9-11 yr old reader studying the time period.
Melissa
Sep 14, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-read-alouds
A very short read, we read this as a read aloud together, but my kiddos truly could have read it themselves. It was an ok story, I think it makes a better reader than read aloud, in my opinion.
Jun 13, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable short chapter book suitable for kids 6 to 10 or so. I read it outloud to my kids to go along with our theme unit on Medieval times. Both my older and younger kids enjoyed it.
Tiph
Nov 25, 2015 Tiph rated it it was amazing
A fun quick read (we read it in about an hour!) it's a little adventure following a pair of siblings in the middle ages. We enjoyed this story very much.
Kitty Tomlinson
In the year 1195, Alice & her brother, Roger, go to look for their sick mother's brother, a powerful baron.
Christina
Oct 13, 2011 Christina rated it liked it
This is the current read aloud for Clara and Max. It's short so we will finish it this week.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
The children in this book demonstrate love for their mother and each other. It's great.
Carol
Sep 19, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
Quick read. It's the first book we read for my six year olds book club.
Julia Reffner
Jan 16, 2013 Julia Reffner rated it really liked it
Sonlight Core C -- Quick read we enjoyed.
Jennifer Dunne
"It is a great book" says my daughter.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Takes place during the Crusades.
Kendra Fletcher
Jul 04, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it liked it
History Year Two
Nina
Jul 30, 2013 Nina rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-read-alouds
Awful.
Jalisa Schrock
Jalisa Schrock rated it liked it
Cndy
Cndy rated it it was amazing
Katrina L. Hoeft
Katrina L. Hoeft marked it as to-read
Julie Rhoades
Julie Rhoades marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
  • The Little Riders
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • Famous Men of the Middle Ages
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • Maps and Globes
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Mountain Born
"May you live in interesting times."

That ambiguous wish was not meant to be kind, because interesting times can be difficult. You and I certainly live in interesting times - dangerous, challenging, and fascinating.

My parents were born just before the start of the twentieth century; my youngest grandchild arrived in this century's final decade. The years in between have been the most dynamic in the
More about Gloria Skurzynski...