Start by marking “All Judgment Fled” as Want to Read:
All Judgment Fled

All Judgment Fled

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In such books as Hospital Station and Star Surgeon, James White has built an enviable reputation as a writer of science fiction about the future of medical science and what it may be like to treat and care for a staggering variety of alien life-forms. He has an extraordinary talent for creating believable but utterly alien extra-terrestrials.
In ALL JUDGEMENT FLED, he consi
Published August 1996 by Old Earth Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about All Judgment Fled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Judgment Fled

Dirk Grobbelaar
An unidentified object enters the solar system and an exploration team is sent to investigate. No this isn’t Rendezvous with Rama… In fact, All Judgement Fled predates Rama with some three years or so. Where Arthur C. Clarke’s novel is pretty much the genre-defining big-dumb-object, or artifact, story, this is a novel about first contact. Or is it? All Judgement Fled raises a number of pretty interesting moral issues, even though it seems hesitant to deal with them directly, leaving some conclus ...more
V.W. Singer
James White was never one to avoid difficult situations. In one of his early short stories in the Sector General universe, a human "babysitter" put in charge of an alien "baby" discovers that he has to use a baseball bat in order to "pat" the baby to sleep. Unfortunately, he is seen doing this by another member of staff, and you can imagine the circus that happens after that.

image host

"All Judgement Fled" is one of my all time favourite books. A first contact novel (one of the first, if you'll forgive th
Alan
If memory serves me correctly the Science Fiction Encyclopedia compared this book to Rendezvous with Rama and said it was better, or in some ways more realistic. While looking for a short book to read for the end of the year, and completing my Christmas baking, I chose this.

I've read White before, and I do like his work. Yet, his prose can be a little thick to tread through. In reality that should be a minor issue, but I do have moments when I wish his writing was a quicker/easier read. I do bel
Valerie
Just to prove I'm not an uncritical fan of James White's, I hated this book. White was generally a kindly, nonviolent writer--but he had several flaws, and one of the most obvious is fully developed in this book. White didn't believe that 'nonintelligent' creatures had any rights whatever, and had no compuction about abusing and killing them. Always reminds me of the stories in which explorers land on heavily vegetated planets and say 'There's no life'. The planet is COVERED with life, because p ...more
Sean Randall
James White's aliens are indeed very alien. As heavy on the psychology as lifeboat but with a little more on the ball a la Hospital Station
Mike
This book was written in 1969, but it could have been written in the 40s or 50s, it has that feel to it. There is nothing outstanding to it, its just your typical pulp.
Steve
Steve added it
Mar 20, 2015
Whatwhenwhere
Whatwhenwhere marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
David
David added it
Feb 21, 2015
Mohit
Mohit marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
AhmadF7822
AhmadF7822 marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Martin
Martin added it
Nov 30, 2014
Paolo Caracciolo
Paolo Caracciolo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

James White was a prolific Northern Irish author of science fiction novellas, short stories, and novels. He was born in Belfast and returned there after spending early years in Canada.

He is probably best-known as the author of the Sector General series of novels. The first
More about James White...
Hospital Station (Sector General, #1) Star Surgeon (Sector General, #2) Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4) Major Operation (Sector General, #3) The Galactic Gourmet (Sector General, #9)