Start by marking “I Don't Mean To Be Rude, But...: The Truth about Fame, Fortune and My Life in Music” as Want to Read:

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  42 reviews

Do YOU have what it takes to be a star? Simon Cowell reveals the answer and takes you behind the scenes of American Idol in this wickedly entertaining tell-all.

Since the debut of American Idol, puckish Brit judge Simon Cowell has become America’s most notorious critic—not only on account of his incredible instinct for spotting the next breakout musical stars, but for his h

Published February 26th 2004 by Ebury Press (first published August 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Mean To Be Rude, But..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Mean To Be Rude, But...

Suzanne
You may wonder why I ended up reading this autobiography so I'll tell you. My Mum is a massive fan of Simon Cowell and her friend bought her this book one Christmas as a joke since she's so obsessed with him. I was desperate for a book to read and ended up finding this...

Well, I found this quite interesting & enjoyable. You either like Simon Cowell or you don't (or in my mother's case you love him). I quite like him and this book justified that.

The main thing I love about this book is the fa
Barbra
I think you either love Simon Cowell or hate him. I'm not sure how I feel but this book was a good read. He comes across as you would expect - arrogant, egotistical and opinionated but totally interesting. I was just engrossed and read the book quickly.

Back Cover Blurb:
Simon Cowell needs little introduction. His acerbic put downs and trade-mark insults have made him a household name. Now, for the first time, he tells his own story with all the brutal honesty you'd expect. He reveals the truth ab
Roxie
I enjoyed this book. I can't really hate on Simon Cowell. It's completely honest about how he feels, yeah... a little harsh sometimes, but at least consistent. It seems he's been that way since he was a child, so it's not like he's faking the funk. But he worked his way from the mailroom, to where he is now - and was persistent. I respect him for that, and this book made me make more sense of him, and his passion for the industry.
David Roberts
I am reviewing the book I don't mean to be rude, but... by Simon Cowell which is an excellent autobiography and which I bought from a local secondhand bookstore. This book traces Simon's career from when he was a runner delivering mail for a music publishing business. He got offered a job as an messenger for Stanley Kubrik but thought the job had poor prospects. He moved on to get a job as an estate agent which didn't work out. He then got a job once again delivering mail for a music record comp ...more
Valerie
I find Simon Cowell a very interesting man. He was born in the Lambeth district of London, England on 7 October 1959. He comes from a large family of six brothers and one sister but is best known as a is a television music and talent competition judge, A&R executive, television producer, entrepreneur, and television personality.

I enjoyed this autobiography. It is completely honest about how he feels, although he seems to be a little harsh sometimes, but at least he is consistent. It appears
Amanda
I've had this book for years and never read it. I stopped watching American Idol in season 5, because of boredom (which, coincidentally, Simon discusses). One of the reasons I picked it up now is because my new roommate loves "The Voice" and I began watching it with her and have found myself equally as obsessed.

I have respect for Simon, in the sense that he knew what he wanted to do and he went for it. He didn't let anyone tell him it wasn't possible and he was able to prove that he deserved ev
Kristen Wampner
I really loved reading this book and here was the review that I gave it:

Book Cover - I really liked this book cover and found it to be attractive to the eye. The title of
this book was great with the way it is incorporated throughout the book. *
Story - The book was about the life of Simon Cowell and also the start of of American Idol. I
really enjoyed reading Simon's background and the details in American Idol that he shared
that otherwise you would never know. *
Author - I am a fan of Simo
Mitchell
This book was not what I thought it would be. I expected, like most biographies, an interesting tale of the subjected celebrity's life from past to present. A story that would excite or intrigue. From this book I received only a little of what I expected. The beginning of the book was biographical in that it began with Simon Cowell's childhood and told briefly of how he worked his way up in the music industry to the present day (that is, the present when the book was written). However, as I said ...more
Solor
This guy is a living scum. While being completely tone deaf (ask the like of Stok, Aitken or Waterman); i've never seen and can't possibly imagining him dancing without throwing up either.
In brief, the man is totally Talentless.
The fact that Mr Cowell has made a fortune from judging music talents contests, represents another example of the destructive force of Capitalism and its complete Non-sense.
Some considers him an astute businessman - False, for anything successful he's done, the idea be
M
That he is very middle class, a visionary dancing to his own music and taking the great chances and success that all visionaries encounter. He doesn't possess that institutionalized racist dogma that pervades America, he is cool and funny in a smart aleck.

He is used to being around persons of note..and claims to have a second sense of when to choose a star, well better said someone who can sell a million records. Which does not make one a star necessarily so.

BTW? Sinitta's long braid is purchase
Paula Henderson
See him in a whole different light after reading this excellent read
Chris
For anyone interested in being a singer, they need to read this book first. It is important to know what the industry expects of you and what you should expect from the industry. Just understand they will keep expecting more and more out of you each time before you can even think of making it. Also, he gives good advice about knowing when quit and move onto something your actually go at. If you haven't make it after some point, then its probably a good idea that you don't have the talent afteral ...more
Robyn
I am not going to say that it was the most technical reading I have ever done. It was a bit like reading Simon Cowell's journal. A lot of I did this and then I saw that and then I thought this other thing. But it was fascinating as well to find out what was going on behind the scenes of the show American Idol and now as I watch the new show X Factor take off I can't help but think, does he like the four judge format? How about that new MC? Anyway somewhat of a really long People magazine article ...more
Sara
Well, that was a guilty pleasure. I was really into Idol long ago. When I read this back in 2003, I knew all the people Simon Cowell talked about - all the contestants. I enjoyed reading more about them. Yes, I was a bit embarrassed about all this. It's not great literature. But it was FUN and was appropriate for that moment in time.

You do have to put up with Mr. Cowell, though. Let's just say he thinks well of himself.
Rebekah
Simon may not mean to be rude, but he most certainly is. It's not his fault; he's naturally a bit of a jerk. But that's what makes him a fantastic and sensational judge. This ironically-named book tells of Simon's trip through life, and how he made in center stage in the television business. Along the way, he gives out small tips and bits of advice for aspiring young actors or singers. And, of course, he hands out the insults.
Alex
What complete shite.

Cowell's "life story" is pretty dull reading, and he comes across as nothing more than a smug-arsed show off. Bizarrely, the one thing that stood out was the fact that every few chapters he'd dedicate a page or two to describing one of his ex-girlfriends and how well they still get on, no hard feelings blah blah blah... Yuk. Get a grip man!

Can't believe I'm going to have to tag this onto my "music" shelf
Greg
This very very funny book is such a joy and breeze to read. Simon provides much laughter with his wit and humor while giving the public some insight into how the music industry works. He talks about his journey before American Idol, meeting Paula and Randy during American Idol and even gives his ever so honest opinions about some big names in the business. This would be a great book for aspiring singers yearning for advice from a pro.
Polly Tiller
A very interesting read. How Simon Cowell became successful and it wasn't by following the crowd. An innovator in the music business. I only watch the X Factor when my daughters are at home but I did see the episodes with Gareth Gates, my daughters were at home. Even I got tingles up my spine. My daughters will enjoy this book because they are fans of the X Factor. Any fan of the X Factor will enjoy this book.
Steve Luxbacher
While not a fan of American Idol, I did find Cowell's comments on the show refreshing. After reading the book, I gained an appreciation of his roots, his work in the music industry, and I was able to see past the bluster and see that he really knew what he was talking about. Recommended read for fans of the show, as well as those of us who are interested in the current music industry.
Lesley Webster
I enjoyed this book very much. It's a great look at the professional life of one of television's most interesting personalities, beginning with his job in the mail room and working his way through the music industry. I have a new respect for a man who obviously has earned his position in both the business world and the music world.
Written by the self-admitted egoist, this is a fun little read. Simon tells his life story (quickly), some backstage stories from American Idol, gives his opinions on famous people, and gives pointers for "making it". Quick and fun and a bit gossipy and trashy, making it somewhat of a guilty pleasure.
Anna
It was neat to hear Simon's view of the first two seasons of "American Idol." He is brutally honest on the show and has no issues with his self-esteem on TV---the same is true in his book. Entertaining, informative, but still good ol' arrogant Simon. With good cause, though, I think.
Louise
A good read however now it feels very outdated. Love the pictures and the book is intresting. I love simon's wit throughout and his way of having an opinion of everything. I loved hearing abot his childhood and making it in the buisness as well. A fantastic read.
Keli Wright
yes I am giving this book five stars..because well.. I like that Simon KNEW what he was good at and went after it at all costs and I actually like his honesty..and I like that he admits he was wrong sometimes.. and I also like that I had fun reading it.
Molly
God, he really is an ass, isn't he? But he's hilarious, and, I'm not going to lie, very honest. Much of what he says is what the rest of us think, but could only wish to say.[return]His background was not nearly the glamorous one I was expecting.
Katie
Aug 28, 2008 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves American Idol!!!
It was a cute book, but only for those who enjoy watching American Idol and who don't mind Simon! The last chapter didn't have anything of substance... it was basically how to become the next American Idol! LOL! Not for me!
Jeannie
This is a great read if you are an American Idol or Simon fan (which I am). I learned a lot about him and understand better his view and critique of the contestants. I thought it was great fun!!
Lisa Bennett
This is a fantastic book. I really enjoyed it. If anyone ever says this man doesn't know what he's talking about, they really need to read this book. God I wish I was an A&R person now!
Kat
I'm not a huge fan of American Idol, but it's okay that he talks about it in this book because Simon somehow is a really cool guy, and he has a great sense of humor in this book.
Kate
I was given this as a Christmas present and although if isn't a book I would have chosen myself, it was rather interesting and easy to read.
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Humble Pie
  • Sweet Revenge: The Intimate Life of Simon Cowell
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Anyone Can Do It
  • Swerve
  • The Rivals: Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova Their Epic Duels and Extraordinary Friendship
  • Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive: 101 Inspirational Stories about Counting Your Blessings and Having a Positive Attitude
  • It's True! It's True!
  • Sunk Without a Sound: The Tragic Colorado River Honeymoon of Glen and Bessie Hyde
  • Is That It?
  • Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
  • Mousetrapped
Simon Cowell is an English artist-and-repertoire ("A&R") executive and television personality/producer, best known as a judge on such TV shows as Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol and Britain's Got Talent. He is also the owner of the television production and music publishing house Syco.

Cowell is notorious for his unsparingly blunt and often controversial criticisms, insults, and wisecrack
More about Simon Cowell...
The X-Factor: How to Make It in the Pop World Il Divo: Our Music, Our Journey, Our Words Il Divo: Our Music, Our Journey, Our Words 1D One Direction: Forever Young Pop Idol: The Inside Story of TV's Biggest Ever Search for a Superstar

“What other people think about me is none of my business .” 63 likes