Start by marking “I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff” as Want to Read:
I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff

I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Ever find yourself struggling to remember simple facts and rules? This title is full of memory aids, including well-known rhymes, that will help unjumble your mind and improve your ability to recall names, dates, facts, figures and events, and contains all the mnemonics you need to know.
Published August 1st 2007 by Michael O'Mara Books

To ask other readers questions about I Before E (Except After C), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Before E (Except After C)

Richard
Jan 24, 2008 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who value knowledge, if only for its own sake
Raj
Subtitled "Old-school ways to remember stuff", this was a very mixed bag. Some old favourites are there but there's a lot of random things as well, and I often thought that the mnemonic is sometimes more complicated than what it's, er, mnemon-icising.
Kathrynn
Oct 14, 2009 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Neat little book that can be read in one sitting. It is divided up into the following categories:

1. The English Language
13. The Human Body
14. Lifesaving Tips
15. The World of Work
16. Other Favorites

Some mnemonics I remembered from my ch
Deb
I often wonder, What did we do before: typewriters, computers, internet, google, etc. This little book reminds me--one who graduated from high school with none of the listed technology except access to a manual typewriter only in secretarial training class. We relied on memory gimmicks to pass on knowledge by rote memory. I bought this book so I carried it around to peruse when waiting for something or somebody. It's fun to remember how things use to be. I didn't read every page but it was amusi ...more
M
Cute and fun, but generally rather useless. Mnemonics were at times a bit convoluted and difficult, and topics ranged between the alphabet, numbers, the Seven Hills of Rome, digits of pi, and many other things I will never need to know. But maybe that's my (perhaps lacking?) modern education and attitude taking over.
TheMadHatter
A friend gave me a series of these books to have a look at. She saw them in a shop and bought them for her son as she thought they may be of use when he starts school and to encourage him to use some old school techniques to memorise.

The book was diverse in subject matter covering English Language to History to Maths/Science to Geography to Religion and highlighted different mnemonic devices to remember lists and dates etc. Because it was so diverse, it didn't really work for me. Generalist book
Angie
Bile from the liver emulsifies greases
Tinges the urine and colors the feces
Aids peristalsis, prevents putrefaction
If you remember all this, you'll give satisfaction.

I found some of the mnemonics in this book to be strangely unsatisfying. (e.g., memorizing a word passage, whose letters correspond to the numbers of pi; if someone asks you to give them the decimal numbers of pi, what are you going to do? write down the passage and then count the letters? surely that's more difficult than just memor
Ashley Gan
it was interesting to see how these different things were memorised in 'old-school' ways but at the same time, my reading was ruined by the fact that i could not actually use these methods to help me because i had never even heard of some of these methods. good for if you want to know, not so much for the practicality of it all (but this is just my personal opinion).
Stacy
I finally have a mnemonic for remembering affect vs. effect. That alone made this book worthwhile.
Karen O'Hare
Although some of the book brought back childhood memories of how I remembered certain facts, I found that a lot of the mnemonics were very convoluted and more difficult to remember than what you were trying to learn in the first place!
Brigitte
I first saw this book in an English teacher's classroom when I was subbing and I found it really interesting and helpful. It took me a long time to track it down and buy it for myself, but now I've finally finished it! There are some very helpful tips in here over a variety of subjects. I will definitely keep this one in my future classroom and I can easily see using it with my students.
(Though I think I could have come up with some better acronyms.)
I'd love to get some of the other books like
Helene Harrison
ISBN? – 9781843176589

General Subject/s? – History / English /

Title? – Tips for memory across education.

General Analysis? – An interesting collection of information and the descriptions are brilliantly funny yet informative at the same time. It includes a wide variety of information including religion, work, animals, geography and mathematics.

Recommend? - Yes, an interesting collection of information.
Amy
Fascinating! I never realized that there were so many mnemonic devices and for what. There are chapters on spelling, numbers, geography, science, time & calendars, stars & planets in the sky, world history, musical interlude, foreign tongues, religion, human body, lifesaving tips, "world of work", and more! At the end of the book is "Helpful Mnemonics Websites".

Lots and lots of interesting information!
Louie Reynolds
Was a fun read and found out some facts I never knew. I'm not sure the only solution to remembering things is to make very obscure poems out of first letters of words, I found myself more baffled by them than actually remembering the important bits.
I'm sure it will aid the kids in the future with some of their learning.
Meg
Interesting for what it is, but when you're inundated with mnemonics, there's no way that you can remember more than one or two. A few of the mnemonics were for useful things (converting Fahrenheit to Celsius), but some were a little too far out to be anything but curiosities (the different organs related to excretion).
Heather C.
Carly gave this book to me for my birthday--it is impressively comprehensive. My favorite part about this book, besides it's cool cover, is the mnemonic for remembering Roman Numerals (because I always get the 50 and 500 mixed up): I Value Xylophones Like Cows Dig Milk.

Very cool! Thanks, Carly!
Will
I think that this book was a good read with lots of interesting facts about maths, science, English, medicine etc. Some of the tips they gave were useful and interesting but most were a bit stupid and hard to remember. Overall the book had good elements and ideas but too much of it was useless information.
Matt B
This was an interesting book that gave you lots of ways to remember different things and gave you their history which was quite interesting but I found most of the rules or poems and so on was redundant because I already kew most of the things in the book but i thought it was an interesting read.
Rebecca
An amusing little book with all of those great devices you used to use. It was fun to read and remember making up pneumonic devices or lauging as i remembered my dad dancing around to some of them. Would be a GREAT gift for a graduate or for a student entering high school.
I got 'I before E (except after C)' as a present, something that I'm really glad about as I would never have picked it up on my own. It was a fun, nostalgic book that I really enjoyed flicking through.
Neil
Takes me back to school! Not really a read, but engaging never the less, it's amazing how much of this stuff I forgot, it's also enlightening, informing me of some the things I really should have known!
Kali
Apr 08, 2010 Kali rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is really great. I just picked it up one day at a book store and nearly finished it right there. It's fast reading, there is no story line but it is fun. It is also educational
Hollie
I wish I'd've had this book handed to me in elementary school. I would've learned so much, so much faster & easier too. Really cool tips. Some I've never heard of either.
Hannah
exactly what it says it is -- a collection of mneumonics. Not strung together in a story or anything. Strangely enjoyable to flip through (I used it as bathroom reading.)
Dessiree
I did majority of these silly rhymes through out my school days and loved this book ! I remember most of them still from all the catchy jingles and phrases.
Mike Shultz
Some useful or amusing but most rely too much on memorizing random phrases or are in subject areas that I have no interest or need to memorize.
Marilyn
Love this book. It has a mnemonic for everything from the English language to how to set a table. This will be a fun book to use in the classroom.
Michelle
I just found this book when I was lamenting the fact that our kids don't seem to learn mnemonics like we did. This was loads of fun and useful too.
MaryG
Bringing back many memories! And learning new reminders--like quick way to do multiples of 9 (always had trouble with the multiplication tables!)
  • My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me?: How to Speak and Write It Right
  • Thirty Days Has September
  • Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know: Instructions for Life From the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Chancer's Canterbury Tales
  • The Woeful Second World War
  • Woolvs in the Sitee
  • I Love it When You Talk Retro: Hoochie Coochie, Double Whammy, Drop a Dime, and the Forgotten Origins of American Speech
  • Raw
  • Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day
  • The Universal Journalist
  • Painless Algebra
  • Do You Think You're Clever?: The Oxbridge Questions
  • 100 Places You Will Never Visit
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • Dictionary of Symbolism: Cultural Icons and the Meanings Behind Them
  • Just Macbeth
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England
Remember, Remember (The Fifth Of November): The History Of Britain In Bite Sized Chunks Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pajamas: Popular Expressions-What They Mean and How We Got Them Elton: Made in England From Hue and Cry to Humble Pie (Reference) Catchphrase, Slogan And Cliche