Start by marking “I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff” as Want to Read:
I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff

I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Ever find yourself struggling to remember simple facts and rules? This title is full of memory aids, including well-known rhymes, that will help unjumble your mind and improve your ability to recall names, dates, facts, figures and events, and contains all the mnemonics you need to know.
Published August 1st 2007 by Michael O'Mara Books

Richard
Jan 24, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who value knowledge, if only for its own sake
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 Raj rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Subtitled "Old-school ways to remember stuff", this was a very mixed bag. Some old favourites are there but there's a lot of random things as well, and I often thought that the mnemonic is sometimes more complicated than what it's, er, mnemon-icising.
Kathrynn
Oct 14, 2009 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Neat little book that can be read in one sitting. It is divided up into the following categories:

1. The English Language
13. The Human Body
14. Lifesaving Tips
15. The World of Work
16. Other Favorites

Some mnemonics I remembered from my ch
Deb
Aug 25, 2011 Deb rated it liked it
I often wonder, What did we do before: typewriters, computers, internet, google, etc. This little book reminds me--one who graduated from high school with none of the listed technology except access to a manual typewriter only in secretarial training class. We relied on memory gimmicks to pass on knowledge by rote memory. I bought this book so I carried it around to peruse when waiting for something or somebody. It's fun to remember how things use to be. I didn't read every page but it was amusi ...more
M
Apr 16, 2012 M rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Cute and fun, but generally rather useless. Mnemonics were at times a bit convoluted and difficult, and topics ranged between the alphabet, numbers, the Seven Hills of Rome, digits of pi, and many other things I will never need to know. But maybe that's my (perhaps lacking?) modern education and attitude taking over.
TheMadHatter
Sep 11, 2012 TheMadHatter rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend gave me a series of these books to have a look at. She saw them in a shop and bought them for her son as she thought they may be of use when he starts school and to encourage him to use some old school techniques to memorise.

The book was diverse in subject matter covering English Language to History to Maths/Science to Geography to Religion and highlighted different mnemonic devices to remember lists and dates etc. Because it was so diverse, it didn't really work for me. Generalist book
inVi[nce]sible Samaniego
Mnemonic is derived from the Ancient Greek word μνημονικός (mnēmonikos), meaning "of memory, or relating to memory" and is related to Mnemosyne ("remembrance"), the name of the goddess of memory in Greek mythology.i become fascinated by the this book because the stuff that i studied when i was in grade school and high school was in the context of this,in the first pages the the ideas are great in the last part is kind of boring due on the familiarity of the contents that ain't useful to me.It w ...more
Angie
Dec 24, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, reference
Bile from the liver emulsifies greases
Tinges the urine and colors the feces
Aids peristalsis, prevents putrefaction
If you remember all this, you'll give satisfaction.

I found some of the mnemonics in this book to be strangely unsatisfying. (e.g., memorizing a word passage, whose letters correspond to the numbers of pi; if someone asks you to give them the decimal numbers of pi, what are you going to do? write down the passage and then count the letters? surely that's more difficult than just memor
Morninglight Mama
This one was full of mnemonic devices to remember a ton of information, but I found that I never knew much of that info in the first place, so this one wasn't as fun to read as the others. It was fun to be reminded of some of the rhymes I learned as a child, and there were so many others that I had never even heard.
Brian
Mar 27, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal
So I liked seeing which ones I already knew, which ones I was glad to learn about, and which ones weren't really worth learning about.
Glenn
Feb 18, 2016 Glenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of useful stuff and certainly a book to refer back to from time to time.
Stacy
I finally have a mnemonic for remembering affect vs. effect. That alone made this book worthwhile.
Karen O'Hare
Dec 22, 2014 Karen O'Hare rated it liked it
Although some of the book brought back childhood memories of how I remembered certain facts, I found that a lot of the mnemonics were very convoluted and more difficult to remember than what you were trying to learn in the first place!
Brigitte
Jun 12, 2013 Brigitte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, teacher-books
I first saw this book in an English teacher's classroom when I was subbing and I found it really interesting and helpful. It took me a long time to track it down and buy it for myself, but now I've finally finished it! There are some very helpful tips in here over a variety of subjects. I will definitely keep this one in my future classroom and I can easily see using it with my students.
(Though I think I could have come up with some better acronyms.)
I'd love to get some of the other books like
Hanrong Tham
Dec 31, 2014 Hanrong Tham rated it really liked it
A great read!
Noor
Apr 05, 2016 Noor rated it liked it
Shelves: language
Generally, a very enjoyable read. Some of the mnemonics included were for things that were ridiculously elementary; others were very obscure. It might have been more interesting, in these cases, if the author had included some background information on the subjects. For the most part, however, I found the content relatable and intriguing, and reminiscent of school days, where I had learnt quite a few of the mnemonics mentioned (SOHCAHTOA, anyone?).
Helene Harrison
ISBN? – 9781843176589

General Subject/s? – History / English /

Title? – Tips for memory across education.

General Analysis? – An interesting collection of information and the descriptions are brilliantly funny yet informative at the same time. It includes a wide variety of information including religion, work, animals, geography and mathematics.

Recommend? - Yes, an interesting collection of information.
Amy
Jun 16, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Fascinating! I never realized that there were so many mnemonic devices and for what. There are chapters on spelling, numbers, geography, science, time & calendars, stars & planets in the sky, world history, musical interlude, foreign tongues, religion, human body, lifesaving tips, "world of work", and more! At the end of the book is "Helpful Mnemonics Websites".

Lots and lots of interesting information!
Louie Reynolds
Sep 18, 2013 Louie Reynolds rated it really liked it
Was a fun read and found out some facts I never knew. I'm not sure the only solution to remembering things is to make very obscure poems out of first letters of words, I found myself more baffled by them than actually remembering the important bits.
I'm sure it will aid the kids in the future with some of their learning.
Meg
Mar 13, 2009 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Interesting for what it is, but when you're inundated with mnemonics, there's no way that you can remember more than one or two. A few of the mnemonics were for useful things (converting Fahrenheit to Celsius), but some were a little too far out to be anything but curiosities (the different organs related to excretion).
Heather C.
Jun 14, 2008 Heather C. rated it really liked it
Carly gave this book to me for my birthday--it is impressively comprehensive. My favorite part about this book, besides it's cool cover, is the mnemonic for remembering Roman Numerals (because I always get the 50 and 500 mixed up): I Value Xylophones Like Cows Dig Milk.

Very cool! Thanks, Carly!
Will
May 04, 2012 Will rated it liked it
I think that this book was a good read with lots of interesting facts about maths, science, English, medicine etc. Some of the tips they gave were useful and interesting but most were a bit stupid and hard to remember. Overall the book had good elements and ideas but too much of it was useless information.
Matt B
Jun 15, 2012 Matt B rated it liked it
This was an interesting book that gave you lots of ways to remember different things and gave you their history which was quite interesting but I found most of the rules or poems and so on was redundant because I already kew most of the things in the book but i thought it was an interesting read.
Rebecca
Jun 11, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
An amusing little book with all of those great devices you used to use. It was fun to read and remember making up pneumonic devices or lauging as i remembered my dad dancing around to some of them. Would be a GREAT gift for a graduate or for a student entering high school.
Nov 29, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I got 'I before E (except after C)' as a present, something that I'm really glad about as I would never have picked it up on my own. It was a fun, nostalgic book that I really enjoyed flicking through.
Neil
Jun 06, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
Takes me back to school! Not really a read, but engaging never the less, it's amazing how much of this stuff I forgot, it's also enlightening, informing me of some the things I really should have known!
Kali
Apr 08, 2010 Kali rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is really great. I just picked it up one day at a book store and nearly finished it right there. It's fast reading, there is no story line but it is fun. It is also educational
Hollie
Feb 19, 2012 Hollie rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd've had this book handed to me in elementary school. I would've learned so much, so much faster & easier too. Really cool tips. Some I've never heard of either.
Hannah
Jul 12, 2009 Hannah rated it it was ok
exactly what it says it is -- a collection of mneumonics. Not strung together in a story or anything. Strangely enjoyable to flip through (I used it as bathroom reading.)
Dessiree
Aug 03, 2009 Dessiree rated it really liked it
I did majority of these silly rhymes through out my school days and loved this book ! I remember most of them still from all the catchy jingles and phrases.
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Thirty Days Has September
  • Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day
  • Raw
  • Show Me How
  • Woolvs in the Sitee
  • Do You Think You're Clever?: The Oxbridge Questions
  • Homework for Grown-Ups: Everything You Learned at School and Promptly Forgot.
  • The Joy of Lex
  • Just Macbeth
  • 100 Places You Will Never Visit
  • Orwell
  • A Complete Guide to Heraldry
  • I Love it When You Talk Retro: Hoochie Coochie, Double Whammy, Drop a Dime, and the Forgotten Origins of American Speech

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »