Start by marking “Character Is Destiny: Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In Character is Destiny, McCain tells the stories of celebrated historical figures and lesser-known heroes whose values exemplify the best of the human spirit. He illustrates these qualities with moving stories of triumph against the odds, righteousness in the face of iniquity, hope in adversity, and sacrifices for a cause greater than self-interest. The tributes he pays h ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Character Is Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Character Is Destiny

Jake
Book of Short Stories

I think that John Mccain wrote an O.K. book, but it does not appeal to me directly. Some of the stories were interesting, and were about famous people. However, most of the stories were not good and were not interesting. The problem is that he wrote a bunch of true short stories. If Mccain were a smarter writer, he would have made it all about one fictitious person, who showed all the attributes he believed in. Also, it seems that the co-author was the person who wrote the b
Jamie
This is an excellent book. There are a few people who seem odd choices... Magellan, for instance, doesn't really seem to have had the character qualities I'd want to emulate... and yet even those examples show how truly our character is our destiny. I think this would be an excellent book for a young teenager, but I found it tremendously riveting as an adult. There are many stories which I'd never heard, or heard only very little about, that are truly fascinating and worth knowing. I'd recommend ...more
Richard
A series of essays about people who have exhibited grand character in various walks of life. Winston Churchhill, Sojourner Truth, Gandhi, Joan of Arc, and Thomas More are among the many individuals who exhibit great character. McCain, with the help of Salter, help us remember what each of these people bring to us in terms of their character. Written simply and effectively. McCain also gives an account of his years in a Vietnam prison, with praises for the men who endured. I enjoyed reading this ...more
Zaka
Listened to the audiobook. It was ok, mainly because of the mini biography stories collected in one place, not sure his intended youth audience would take the time to listen to it.
Robert Henry
Definitely recommend. Compilation of historical references related to positive character traits.
Deborah
This book is not about John McCain or his politics. It contains biographies of people with great character, some of which are very famous, (Ghandi, Joan of Arc) and some which might not be as well known. (Edith Cadwell, Romeo Dallaire, Tecumseh, Aung San Suu Kyi). I loved all the details and the way each person is celebrated for their strengths and values. I only gave it three stars because the writing is just not very good. However it's not horrible and I still have found myself re-reading some ...more
Holly Koenig
So many good stories. From little known people to people everyone knows. This would be a good book for young adults to read.
William
This book was a real joy to read. It is a compilation of short stories about famous people around the world. It showed their great character and fortitude. I learned so much more about these great people. The “Subtext” to the Title is “Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember”. I certainly echo these words! I would recommend this book to anyone who loves great examples of conquest in the face of trials.
Don Weidinger
Believe in character vs destiny, examples of Thomas Moore, Ernest Shackleton, Mother Teresa, Victor Frankel, Tillie-the whole world turned on love, Pat Tillman, learn more from one bad decision than many right, John Wooten, explain demo correct repeat, Edith Gavel, Abe Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, Osceola McCarty, Tecumseh, Ted Roosevelt and rooting out corruption and mistrusted compromise, it's about living a Virtuous life--a benefit of schools.
Gordon
An anthology of 40 characters, each unique, each fascinating, each an incredible example to follow (less Magellan perhaps). As John McCain writes up front, this is a book for young and old alike. I absolutely loved this book and hope my children will as well. I half read and half listened; transiting between hard copy and audible book. The narrator for the audible version is outstanding.
Linda
This book educates the reader about people who lived significant lives. I like this book because I was unaware of the details of many of these famous people. I can't help but know of Mother Teresa or TR or Lincoln for example but significant facts unknown to me were highlighted and were fascinating. I hope to read biographies on some of the individuals profiled in this book.
Joe
Only 3 out of 5.
They should have halved the number of stories and doubled the amount of detail on each story.
Tina
Great book of short stories. We have used this book as a parent tool. We have made our boys read stories for transgressions and write an essay as part of their punishments hoping to instill values and morals. It has stopped and made them think about making good decisions, as well as the importance of sticking to what they believe in.
Chris
Each chapter is comprised of an account of an inspirational person. From Gandhi to Pat Tillman... Wide scope, but well written. I picked up the audiobook thinking it was going to be about John McCain, but it wasn't. It was better. I am still listening...

I finished listening. It was a great set of stories!
Judy Wyndham
This was a great book with a number of different stories about people in history and why they are remembered - some are famous some are not. My suggestion is that every family get this book on cd and listen to it on car trips. It can be easily shut off after each chapter for a good discussion with the children.
Ty
Jul 24, 2008 Ty rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCain fans
Somewhat disappointing, but glad I read it. The stories of historical figures and their values and strengths was a good review and reminder that I need to be working on some of those things myself.

Other than that, little substance. Was hoping for more hope and inspiration from a presidential candidate.
Rosemary
I really like this book, from a totally nonpolitical standpoint. The stories are well written and intended for children and adults to share together. I read this with a kid I used to nanny for and it was a great bonding time! Plus, we talked about how to be a hero everyday. Definitely a great read!
Cjpeffer
Regardless of your political leanings, this book is great! It is about 40 different people from history that McCain feels exhibited great character. I truly agree that these are the stories our kids should be learning about and we should keep in mind as we teach them. Loved it!
Brandon Bernardoni
I was surprised at the many little vignettes Mr. McCain did through these profiles of character. I was pleasantly encouraged by hearing these stories of people from all races, creeds, beliefs, and both genders. A good read, quick and encouraging.
Erin Mcguigan
I actually listened to this one versus reading it. I thought it was great but John McCain wasn't the person who should have been reading it to be recorded. I think I'd have liked it even better if I'd "read" it versus "listened" to it.
Terry
Enjoyable brief biographies of some interesting people - my favorite in this selection is Victor Frankle. Mr. McCain probably didn't have so much to do with the writing, but that shouldn't take away from the value of these stories.
Marissa  Pineda
Bite sized biographies of some of the most moral, courageous people that live (or lived). A good read when you're feeling discouraged or annoyed with the state of things in life/society/etc.
Eric Nelson
Great read. Wonderful profiles. The title is so right; some great profiles of people I never heard of but should have known in detail. Very inspirational.
Janet G
Inspirational stories motivated me to DO better in my life. A pick up-put down book. Always like one of those around
Paul
Great accounts of noted historical personalities illustrating various qualities of good character.
Wendy
Sep 13, 2007 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger readers
Great collection of stories about inspiring individuals; written more for the younger reader.
Adrienne
I gave this book a five purely because of the introduction. It was truly inspiring
Melissa Judd
I think every person young and old should read this book. An excellent read.
Apr 28, 2012 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: library shelf
This is a book I think EVERYONE should read! So inspirational.
Brian
Work is the way my ideals will be accomplished.
  • The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush
  • God's Terrorists: The Wahhabi Cult and the Hidden Roots of Modern Jihad
  • The Heinie Prize (Rotten School, #6)
  • Savage Peace: Hope and Fear in America, 1919
  • Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan
  • Alexander the Great and His Time (Dorset Oress Reprints Series)
  • The Longest Night: The Bombing of London on May 10, 1941
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • Who Was John F. Kennedy?
  • The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and the Election of 1828
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • Congress: The Electoral Connection
  • Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America
  • 1812: The War That Forged a Nation
  • The American Presidents: Biographies of the Chief Executives from Washington Through Clinton (Guild America Books)
  • D-Day
  • Clash of the Carriers: The True Story of the Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II
  • Resolute: The Epic Search for the Northwest Passage and John Franklin, and the Discovery of the Queen's Ghost Ship
John Sidney McCain III is the senior United States Senator from Arizona. He was the Republican candidate in the 2008 United States Presidential Election.

McCain graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1958. He became a naval aviator, flying ground-attack aircraft from aircraft carriers. During the Vietnam War, he nearly lost his life in the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. In October 1967, while on a bomb
More about John McCain...
Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life Worth the Fighting for: A Memoir Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them Thirteen Soldiers: A Personal History of Americans at War