Start by marking “Digger: The Complete Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Digger: The Complete Omnibus

Digger: The Complete Omnibus (Digger #1-6)

4.79 of 5 stars 4.79  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Published October 2013 by Sofawolf Press

To ask other readers questions about Digger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger

Sherwood Smith
Sep 02, 2014 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: comics
A practical, determinedly atheistical wombat stumbles into a world filled with the supernatural. Adventure, tension, hints of the numinous and humor abound. The pacing is a bit iffy (it reminds me of nineteenth century serials, as it was a web comic) and the end is so very dry it almost misses . . . but doesn't. All in all a magnificent epic.
Brian
If you haven't read Digger yet, you can can go here and do it for free. And you should, because it's fantastic. It didn't win a Hugo for nothing.

It's a bit hard to describe the plot of Digger in a way that sounds remotely comprehensible to anyone who isn't familiar with it. It's about a child with a destiny and her animal sidekick who dispenses practical advice, except from the perspective of the animal sidekick and maybe the destiny isn't quite what everyone thinks. It's about the reason why hy
Kelsey
I was going to go into my somewhat complex introduction to Digger, but you don't actually care about any of that, so let me sum up: READ THIS RIGHT NOW.

Warnings: Digger, and Ursula Vernon in general, do not shy away from the tough things in life. There are large portions of this story that will make you sob like a heartbroken child. Even thinking about some of them makes me well up. To balance that out, you will probably also laugh out loud a whole lot, and, if you don't, I worry about your sens
Mike
I have often felt that web-comics (such as Digger) really embody the idea that "If you want to sell something, you have to give it away for free."

When I first encountered Digger (I can't recall where), only the first 75ish pages were available for free viewing. At the time I was following plenty of other free web comics and didn't think it was worth paying for. Sure it was a pretty interesting story of a no-nonsense wombat getting magically transported to a land very far from home and her quest
Raj
Digger is a wombat. She hits a patch of swamp gas while digging one day, which causes her to have a bad trip. When she comes to her senses, she's completely lost, so digs in the only direction where she's sure to encounter something: up. She finds a talking statue of Ganesh, a religious police captain a little too enthusiastic about his job, oracular slugs, hyenas with attitude and much, much more. Magic gets involved, as does prophecy, both of which are enough to make a wombat's fur itch, but D ...more
Jesse Richards
What a great book. I love it when a story that seems to be all over the place comes together and makes you realize everything was planned all along.

It reminded me a lot of The Hobbit ... this too is the tale of one unassuming member of a "leave-us-alone" race who gets thrust into an adventure. But instead of lazy and indulgent, like Hobbits, wombats are practical, blue-collar atheists. Digger had the personality of a female Jack Kirby. I also liked that it answers a key question that I'm always
Elaine
I'm not sure when I first encountered Digger in its web comic form, but it hooked me enough that I read the story so far fairly quickly, so it was sometime during the 7 years it took to finish. And unlike a lot of webcomics this was one with a beginning, a middle and an end. The art was mostly black and white line drawings, but beautifully done, this is no xkcd. And I loved it. All the characters from the pragmatic Digger (a female wombat engineer), the statue of Ganesh, the Veiled, Shadowchild, ...more
Ferd
OMG, what an incredible... what? I don't want to just call it a book. That wouldn't be right. It is SO much more than that! It is a work of art! An experience! I would call it a masterpiece if Ursula Vernon wasn't in her thirties, as I hope she will produce other fine works in the future.
The story itself is about an unusual and exciting adventure. The protagonist is unique, with a common-sense wisdom in a crazy world, yet with a large dose of fun, sarcastic snark. In fact, all the characters are
Brian Bowers
(I read the free, full webcomic version available here: http://diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/0...) This graphic novel was a refreshing departure from standard fantasy fare. Rather than focusing on magic, coming of age, or other fantasy tropes, Vernon tells a delightful story that centers around ethics, species mythology, and religious fervor. Strongly recommended if you're looking for a work that contains some subset of {free, graphic novel, middling length, cute wombats}.
Hank
I really liked it! Digger is a fantastic character, the story was fun to follow, she had many friends and the ending was heartwarming (and a bit tragic). The moralizations were light but the attempts to teach good and bad to Shadowchild were deep and hilarious. I read the first part of this online to see if I wanted to vote for it for a book club read and....couldn't stop. I guess I am voting for it now. I am also going to buy it and give it to my 9 year old.
Phil
An amazing read. Digger is an engineer who finds herself unexpectedly trapped in a land where she is the only wombat and one of very few people driven by common sense, even when that common sense is assaulted at every turn. With the best of intentions, the worst of luck, and the friends (and enemies) she makes along the way, she tries to find out why she is trapped here and how she might find her way home.
Rrlgrrl
A friend lent me her copy of this giant graphic novel, and I read the whole thing in three sittings. A lovely and complex story with very strong female characters. I agree that this is a fantasy tale, but with elements of real world legends, and it was fantastically told with humor and great emotional depth. I loved all the characters, and heartbroken over some. Beautiful story.
Janet
I loved this book. The character of Digger (a wombat) is just wonderful. Wobats are miners and engineers, and very, very sensible. One might say grounded. She finds herself transported into a complex situation involving gods and magic (Wombats really dislike and avoid both gods and magic whenever possible). She forges on, doing what's right, as only a digger-mousie can. It's suspenseful, beautiful, funny, and just has so much heart.
Lara
While I loved this story, I was not in love with this edition. The Omnibus was too floppy & awkward to read, but it was nice to have it all in one volume. I would have liked if the color pages were added before each chapter as they did on the individual issues. But that's my gripe about the physical book, not the story itself.

Other than that, what's not to love? Digger is one awesome wombat. Her story includes several strong female characters that I would love to read more about. *wink *win
Vasil Kolev
Started this in the morning, and read it in one sitting. At some moment I wondered what was written about it, as it was great, and it turned that this comic won a Hugo award in 2012.

The story is great, the characters are interesting, and even if it follows some basic fantasy ideas, it's still extremely good.
Beth
Okay this is the story of a no nonsense wombat trapped in a nonsensical world, tasked with making it right. This is a graphic novel and the whole thing was simply beautiful. I want more! I want to know what happened when Digger got home! I want to know what adventures she had on her way! I want to know what happened to the Hag and the hyenas and Boneclaw Mother and...and...and...I will always, always, always miss Ed.
Nicole
LOVED this series. So glad it made its way from an online comics release to a print volume. I just wish the individual volumes weren't so expensive (since the omnibus was extremely unwieldy as reading material). But still worth the effort. I will forever be fond of wombats thanks to the story's heroine...
Michelle Wardhaugh
Along with everyone else whose thoughts about this I've read, I thoroughly enjoyed this epic. It's not for young children, but it isn't inappropriate for more mature teens. The characters, the adventure, and the cultural weaving of the world they operate in are all presented to us with common sense and humor, even when those elements are sometimes nonsensical and really not funny. These are people (in whatever form they're drawn in) that you come to care a lot about. While this is a fantasy adve ...more
Lauren
One of my favorite webcomics ever, now in convenient omnibus form! Almost eight hundred pages of great art and great storytelling. I started reading Digger when it was less then half complete, I'm very excited to now have access to the entire story in one book :)
Victoria
Aug 07, 2014 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Victoria by: Dan Clarke
I've torn through the entire Digger saga online in the past week. Marvelous! Unpredictable! Adorable! Wombat! All while managing to pull off a profound story involving prophecies, demons, dead gods, ghosts, hyenas, and pragmatic engineers.
Theron Hitchman
Read the webcomic. Very enjoyable. Moving and funny, with great art.
Lynn
So great. SO GREAT.
Lindindin
Buy it. Read it. You will never love a wombat more.
Rich Boyce
Pretty damn great.
Diana Post
I had forgotten about Digger after I fell behind reading the webcomic online, so I was really happy to see a Kickstarter for an omnibus edition. The story is great and the artwork is whimsical and detailed.
Liz
Loved this while it was a webcomic, loved it more the more I read it, was thrilled when it won the Hugo and jumped at the chance to support the Kickstarter Omnibus.

Not my first time reading through and it won't be my last, but man, I enjoyed this story.
Miramira Endevall
I just finished reading this to a blind friend. There are surprisingly few places where the action needs to be described; the text stands on its own quite beautifully.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Toad Words and Other Stories
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Volume 2
  • Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • Het sleutelkruid
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason (Gunnerkrigg Court #3)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Skullkickers Volume 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 5: Lone Goat and Kid (Usagi Yojimbo #5)
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me
Ursula Vernon is a freelance writer, artist and illustrator. She is best known for the webcomic Digger and the children's books Dragonbreath and Nurk: The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew. Ursula is also a prolific painter and the creator of the Biting Pear of Salamanca, a work which became an internet meme in the form of the "LOL WUT" pear.

Ursula's cover for Best in Show
More about Ursula Vernon...

Digger (6 books)
  • Digger, Volume One (Digger, #1)
  • Digger, Volume Two
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Digger, Volume Four
  • Digger, Volume Five
  • Digger, Volume Six
Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1) Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2) Curse of the Were-wiener (Dragonbreath, #3) Digger, Volume One (Digger, #1) Lair of the Bat Monster (Dragonbreath, #4)