Start by marking “A Land” as Want to Read:
A Land

A Land

A pioneering work of modern nature writing; a natural history of the author's beloved British Isles that inhabits a lush territory somewhere between science and poetry.
Published April 30th 1991 by Beacon Press (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about A Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Land

Alex Sarll
A wilfully personal account of Britain through geology, archaeology, architectural history, palaeontology, social history - described by its author as a memoir, her own impression of life on time, no different to the traces of a prehistoric herring in the ancient mud. I read it on holiday, with trips across Salisbury Plain to the Jurassic Coast, which was the perfect place to read it, but any tour of Britain would be the perfect place to read it - or just lying on Primrose Hill, where Hawkes ope ...more
Heather
Feb 12, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
A unique mixture of geology, archaeology, psychology, and land use analysis. I love the second half because it's less science and more analysis about man's interaction with the land. A subtle and spiritual look at the world through the interesting lens of geology.
April
Jun 10, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
This book is lovely and poetic, but also immediate and necessary even though it is over 50 years old.
Chuck
Mar 19, 2017 Chuck rated it liked it
In the tradition of Rousseau, von Humboldt, Thoreau, Laxness, and others . . . a meditative exploration of our relationship with the land . . . specifically its causal bi-directionality: we change the land, and it also changes us. Hawkes succeeds in sharing her love of the UK with us, and (in my case) rekindling my own love of the UK. Written in 1949 (published in 1951), the book is barely diminished by the passage of 68 years.
Imogen
This is a really interesting, different book that is almost impossible to categorise. I'd classify it as nature writing, but it has a distinctly personal feel. Hawkes combines elements of geology, archeology, anthropology and history with lyrical prose to create a unique view of the natural history of Britain. To my surprise, I actually preferred the more scientific first half to the second half (which focuses on the impact of humans on the land), but there is engaging and relevant material thro ...more
Neale
Oct 11, 2012 Neale rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-writing
A remarkable book - a sort of scientific and poetic history of deep time, from somewhere in England.

What makes it particularly interesting is the time when it was written, just after the Second World War - there is something of the imaginative exuberance of Mervyn Peake and Dylan Thomas and J. R. R. Tolkien and Robert Graves and other post-war British fantasists, reacting perhaps to a time of both austerity and hope. And also that it is written from a female perspective.

The opening description
Kate
"A pioneering work of modern nature writing: a natural history of the author's beloved British Isles that inhabits a lush territory somewhere between science and poetry."
~~back cover

I suppose in its day (1951) it was pioneering. And it certainly isn't a straight natural history. The evolution of dinosaurs and mammals is also included, ending in a flowery, angry diatribe about the devastation that "progress" has made on the land and on the people and culture. The book is written in a style not cu
Warrick
Beautiful and wonderfully evocative at times as well as slightly obsessive sounding at others. Some of the science of geology may have moved on, but the second half, of the towns and the cities, is so precisely right so often. The presence of Wordsworth throughout is encapsulated beautifully in the end.
Laurie
A difficult book to categorize because it is a synthesis of many disciplines. Hawkes' deep love of her native soil shines throughout as she examines how England became the nation that it is though a treatise on its geography.
Ken
Jan 22, 2013 Ken marked it as reference-book-reading
This was originally published in 1951 but I am reading the new 2012 edition published by Collins as part of their Nature Library. It has an introduction by Robert Macfarlane .
Richard Thomas
Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
Joanna Powell
Joanna Powell rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
Luna
Luna rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2007
Elaine Chow
Elaine Chow rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Marielle Hehir
Marielle Hehir rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2016
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Glendenning Cram
Glendenning Cram rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Naradja
Naradja rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Borisbadenough
Borisbadenough rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
April
April rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Martin Spencer
Martin Spencer rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Bill Rea
Bill Rea rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Nick Lee
Nick Lee rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Alan Burdick
Alan Burdick rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2011
Tobi Taylor
Tobi Taylor rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Jackie York
Jackie York rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016