Start by marking “The Candle Cafe Cookbook: More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
It's hard enough to satisfy choosy diners at a hot New York restaurant-- imagine having to do it without using meat, fish, dairy, or eggs! The Candle Cafe has been doing just that for years, offering vegan food that has earned the praise of food critics, celebrities, and countless New Yorkers.
The food at the Candle Cafe expands the horizons of vegan cuisine, proving that
Published July 22nd 2003 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Candle Cafe Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candle Cafe Cookbook

Camille
Aug 05, 2007 Camille rated it liked it
The Candle Cafe is known for its amazing cuisine, and I thought I would get a strong sense of that in their book. One on hand, I did -- there are a lot of food and meal options, all of which are exciting. That said, not only do I have a hard time recreating their flavors at home, their recipes require a lot of prep time. I was also disappointed by the number of entrees and main dishes that require maple syrup and sugar. I'm not a big fan of the "all American" food tradition of sweetening savory ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gourmet chefs, vegans & vegetarians who don't live in/can't visit New York
I’ve never made anything from this cookbook as I am not sufficiently motivated to tackle complex recipes. But I enjoy reading the book, and I can tell I’d enjoy much of the food. I haven’t visited New York since I was 19, which was before I was either vegetarian or vegan; there are so many vegan/vegetarian restaurants I want to dine at in New York city, and the Candle Café/Candle 79 are at the top of my list. I love having restaurant cookbooks: they give me access to dishes from restaurants I ca ...more
Jennie
Jun 13, 2007 Jennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library, cookbooks
I agree with Nate. The Candle Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in the world, but there is a reason I like to go there in person rather than try to recreate their cuisine at home. It is definitely time-consuming. That being said, I have learned a lot from this book and do use it as a reference as I cook 90% vegetarian at home and there is nothing better in vegetarian cooking than to have lots of tricks to make the cuisine more interesting!
Nate
Mar 14, 2007 Nate rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People with lots of disposable income, shelf space, and time
Shelves: cookcook
Candle 79 is probably the best restaurant (anywhere, ever), but the recipes are

1) way too time-intensive;
2) unreliable; and
3) filled with annoying ingredients.

There are a few amazing ones; the seitan steaks can't be beat. But most of it ... Don't pay $20 for 'stupid things to do with phyllo dough' or a tapenade recipe that could be condensed into 3 lines.
Melanie
Oct 03, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The recipes LOOK good, but when you make them... meh. There were some great recipes (Vegan Sour Cream was num nums) but the split pea soup and the Lentil Chowder were HUGE disappointments (ie. they tasted like water). I've tried about 15 recipes, and only 3 were good. They are accesible, though, and generally easy to prepare.
David7466
Jul 19, 2011 David7466 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, vegan
You'll be hard pressed to find recipes in this book that are way too simple like a red beans and rice dish, and also too hard requiring comlicated ingredients you'll never find. The dishes are easy, delicious and prove that vegan cooking can be and is delicious.
Elaine
May 16, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
We learned of this book just a couple months ago and were quickly prompted to ask for it for a bday gift...then we got it...now we love it... How come I'd never heard of the Candle Cafe before? The book - and presumably the cafe - is fantastic.
Kaitlin
Jan 19, 2016 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
I love the upfront of this book that shares the history of the cookbook. I read the cookbook cover to cover and just need to aquire some of the ingredients, and then I'll be on my way to cooking my way through the cookbook.
chelka
May 01, 2007 chelka rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like good food
Shelves: foodbooks
This book is worth the read if only for the carrot cake recipe. I also adore the chocolate ganache frosting. Unsurprisingly, I prefer the dessert section of the book...but the whole thing is pretty tasty.
Martha Smith
Nov 29, 2011 Martha Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I had to adjust all the recipes to exclude nuts, oils, salt and extra sugars. But as gourmet vegan cookbooks go this one is great. I have added two dozen adjusted recipes to my recipe box.
Dec 16, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like to cook delicious stuff.
man i love this place and the cookbook makes me less sad that i don't live in nyc anymore. although my versions aren't as delicious, they come pretty darn close.
Kalliope
Nov 08, 2007 Kalliope rated it really liked it
I like this cookbook because it has the ultimatismo chocolate ganache cake lovers supreme recipe and is excellent to read right before bed
Kerri
Jul 24, 2012 Kerri added it
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
I liked the following recipes:
- Creamy Broccoli Soup - delicious!
- Lentil Chowder
- Sweet Corn Chowder
Czarina
Jun 13, 2010 Czarina rated it it was amazing
Wow! Every recipe I made from this book was easy and delicious! This cookbook is a keeper.
Jun 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Everything I cook in this vegan cookbook comes out tasting fantastic
Christine
Jul 14, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
I love the resturant more than this cook book. The recipes are a little complicated and several of them have amounts that just don't work...l don't remember which one but one called for way too much pepper. As with all recipes, remember to taste and I would recommend adding ingredients little by little so you don't over do it.
Alma
Alma marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Invid
Invid rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Grace Y
Grace Y marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Therese
Therese rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Michelecislo
Michelecislo marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jennifer Perry
Jennifer Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Efraim Simcha
Efraim Simcha marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jessica Webb
Jessica Webb marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Josee Charette
Josee Charette rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Ayegba Christopher
Ayegba Christopher rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Party Vegan
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Refresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes from the Award-Winning Fresh Restaurants
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Vive le Vegan!: Simple, Delectable Recipes for the Everyday Vegan Family
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy