Start by marking “The Ruins” as Want to Read:
The Ruins

The Ruins

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,646 Ratings  ·  2,518 Reviews
Craving an adventure to wake them from their lethargic Mexican holiday before they return home, four friends set off in search of one of their own who has travelled to the interior to investigate an archaeological dig in the Mayan ruins.
After a long journey into the jungle, the group come across a partly camouflaged trail and a captivating hillside covered with red flowers
Published August 1st 2007 by Corgi (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruins, please sign up.

Kemper
Jan 20, 2016 Kemper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith’s wrote one of my favorite crime novels with A Simple Plan that released in 1993. Thirteen years later came his second book, The Ruins, which instantly became one of my favorite horror novels. I’ve got my fingers crossed that sometime later this decade he’ll write another one and maybe it’ll turn out to be the greatest sci-fi epic I’ve ever read.

The concept here is dirt simple. Idiots go somewhere they shouldn’t and bad shit happens. In this particular case four American college stu
Dan Schwent
Feb 26, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: Kemper, Trudi
Shelves: horror, 2014
Aaron
Aug 30, 2007 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Stephen King has a short story (that I believe may have been entitled "The Raft") in which four college students head out to an old rock quarry. They swim out to a raft in the middle of the lake. As the afternoon progresses, they notice what appears to be a patch of oil skimming the surface of the water. One of the students dives into the lake for a post-coital swim and is mysteriously and grotesquely devoured by the oil patch, his skin pretty much being stripped right from its bones. Now horrif ...more
Trudi
***Please indulge me while I float this older review for a horror novel that remains near and dear to my heart. If you are looking for some genuine thrills and chills this Halloween season, this may be the book for you. Happy All Hallow's Read!

I just don't get the storm of criticism aimed at Scott Smith's second novel, The Ruins. Why do people love to hate this book? I found the story to be brutally convincing and the characters believable (if not always very likable). These are college-age kid
Adam
Aug 23, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Smith's The Ruins is one of the best horror novels I've read in some time. It would be really easy for me to rip into it. The premise is, frankly, ridiculous, and its plot is nothing but doom and gloom. So why did I love it so much? Simply because it was completely convincing, engrossing, and terrifying. I don't think I have ever found myself squirming as much while reading as I was for this book's last 20 pages or so.

I think The Ruins works as well as it does because of Smith's writing an
Campbell
Mar 30, 2008 Campbell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Nancyc
May 09, 2008 Nancyc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Dirk Grobbelaar

Are you lost?

Jeepers – this novel was hard to read! Not because it was bad by any means, but because of the harrowing situation the author creates for his characters.

The Ruins features some pretty explicit descriptive imagery. I’m not sure whether I would describe it as an overly “gory” novel though. The blood and guts sequences are treated with the clinical detachment of a surgeon: that’s to say, it’s pretty bloody but isn’t all that messy. Except, of course, when it is…

What really got to me
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 27, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jzhunagev
Shelves: horror
Tressa
Jul 28, 2007 Tressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am always amazed at the low ratings this book gets. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even listened to the book on CD, which made the story even more intriguing.

Four young Americans about to enter graduate school or begin new jobs back home are relaxing in Cancun, Mexico, soaking up too much sun and tequila. At their hotel they befriend a group of Greek men and a German. The German’s brother has gone missing after becoming smitten with a woman and following her to a Mayan archaeological dig in the j
Kimberly
Loved the tension in this one!

**Re-read** CD S/L version: I think I picked up a lot more on the "environmental" elements in the beginning of the story this time around. :) This remains on the favorites shelf!
Edward Lorn
Dec 25, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-52-2014

Enough said.
Joey-Joey-Jo-Jo
Mar 29, 2013 Joey-Joey-Jo-Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who might purchase my copy
description
Delroy
Dec 01, 2010 Delroy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This may be the worst book that I have ever read in much the same way that I feel Mission to Mars is the worst movie I have ever seen. There is plenty of crap out there, but sometimes a piece of crap manages to find itself in the shoe-shine pile and gets lots of money thrown at it and gets splashy reviews and buys out the front rack at the distribution center for the arts and you are in a hurry to get your culture on so you don't see that the polish this turd has been given barely managed to mak ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
I just listened to this on unabridged audio. Having seen the movie a few years ago, I was expecting it to be a decent body horror tale of survival and I wasn’t disappointed on those two counts. But I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed the book more than the movie. The movie was suspenseful and to the point and brutal and it was only 90 minutes long so there wasn’t a lot of time spent with the characters. The audio though was nearly 11+ hours long and I had to spend way too much time with these chara ...more
Christina
Sara O. Thompson
Apr 07, 2008 Sara O. Thompson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the good. Or the less bad. The idea of the story is interesting. Being in another country is scary and this capitalizes that idea. I wish the metaphor of language barrier and communication had been played out more fully.

My chief complaints with this book are as follows:
- The characters were cardboard cutouts of real characters. Two dimensional and stereotypical.
- The women in this novel are useless. 100% USDA uselessness. See above.
- Honestly, why didn't the Greek speak Eng
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

You know that old saying “timing is everything”? I have a feeling this book would have received a 5-Star rating from me rather than 4 had I not ran across a little ARC called The Troop several months ago. Upon my reading (and ranting and raving and begging every horror lover and their dog to read said ARC), a plethora of my GR friends started recommending The Ruins to me. Since I’m an idiot, I immediately forgot about it. Months later,
Rossy
Nov 12, 2014 Rossy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Science Fiction book (yaaay!).
I've always been a fan of gore/blood/death.in.weird.ways films, so I decided to read this book after watching the film many times, so if you liked the movie, you'll kind of like the book, too. It's more graphic, scary, terrifying, creepy, dark...
I give it only three stars, because even though I enjoyed the book, the characters ruined it for me. I know, they are supposed to be realistic, but they ended up as obnoxious, only Jeff was likeable and sma
Veeral

I like watching TV-shows because (obviously) we all know that we are living in the golden age of television. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead, and of course Game of Thrones (to name a few), have changed the way we look at television. Gone are the days when people were waiting for the next summer blockbuster, no, they are actually waiting to see what the blue meth cook would do next. BrBa left a big hole in every fan's life when it finished. And while TWD is not always up to the
Carol
Feb 25, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Susan MO
Shelves: ebook, horror, read-2014
I think I'll just begin by saying YIKES! I'm always looking for a super scary book to read come October and this one certainly gave me the creeps!

The story begins as four (partying) American college students on vacation in Cancun join up with a Greek man (major language barrier here) and agree to help a German tourist find his missing brother. Ill-prepared and with only a crude map to guide them, they all set out to locate an archaeological dig site in a remote Mexican jungle.......and what they

Regina
May 08, 2014 Regina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
This review contains no spoilers, no specifics, just generalities.

I have nothing good at all to say about this book, one of the worst stinkeroos I've ever had the misfortune to stumble across. I can't believe it was ever even published. It's junk like this that make me feel that no matter how bad my writing is, if drivel like this can earn money, than there is no reason why anything I slap together can't make money.

Horror story? Nope. Didn't scare me one bit. Didn't even make me uneasy. Extended
Shandra
Jun 03, 2015 Shandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
DNF page 255/509.

This just isn't working for me. It's very slow. I'm pretty sure at this point I know what the "entity" is, and it's not grabbing or exciting or spooky or unnerving...or...anything. I'm half way through and I just don't have any desire to read it any more. I've been finding excuses of other things I need to do to avoid reading. That tells me: it's time to move on.
Katy Mann
Jan 18, 2016 Katy Mann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Scott Smith’s novel The Ruins.

The story had an engaging and interesting cast and villain. Two couples, on vacation in Mexico, leave the safety of their resort hotel to follow a map drawn on a napkin in order to find a friend’s missing brother. They go into the Mexican jungle despite warnings from the cab driver who drives them part of the way from the well-traveled tourist routes to their destination.

Once in the jungle, the six friends encounter a local tribe and find the ruins of a t
Steve
Mar 25, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
While reading Scott Smith's new novel, "The Ruins," a discerning reader will probably pick up on any number of influences. Novels and short stories, such as "Heart of Darkness," "Lord of the Flies," and "The Willows," come instantly to mind, but also other media offerings, such as the movies "Cabin Fever," and, wildly, "Little Shop of Horrors." Still, it's unfair to suggest that "The Ruins" is a cut and paste effort pulling in all these (real and imagined) influences. No, Smith has fashioned his ...more
Brooks Yelverton
Jan 15, 2008 Brooks Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anybody out there ever been to Mexico? Any of you ever gotten sick of sitting around on the beach and decided to trek through the jungle to see some of the Mayan ruins? A few years back, I was in this position, but then I decided (since I'm fat and lazy) that lying around on the beach beat hiking around. After reading this thriller, I know I made the right decision.

The summary above covers about the first twenty pages of the book. The remainder is fascinating, but I don't want to risk ruining an
Brandon
Apr 17, 2008 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Brandon by: My friend Evelyn
Latasha
May 05, 2016 Latasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
going into this book, I already knew what was going on. no, I haven't seen the movie but it was spoiled for me. anyways, that being said, this book was so cringe worthy! oh man, they aren't.... but yes, they did!! I liked it way more than I thought I would. now I'm going to watch the movie.
Richard Vialet
With a concept and "villain" that could easily turn the book into just silly camp, it's the sheer audacity and confidence of the writing and character development that elevates this story above expectations! One of the novel's most ingenious achievements is trapping the characters in an environment that's claustrophobic and at the same time terrifyingly exposed! It is one of my absolute favorite horror novels. Scott Smith needs to stop taking these long breaks between books! Where the hell has h ...more
Obsidian
May 09, 2016 Obsidian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-2016
This is one of the books set aside for the Horror Aficionados May reads. Up until now I had heard that this book was fantastic, scary, and thought provoking. Remind me to never trust people again when they mention a book is scary, my idea of scary is apparently different. This book had a lot of gross situations that tried my stomach, but that was about it.

So, this tale begins in Mexico (Yucatan peninsula). We have four Americans who are on vacation before they go off and start school. There is E
  • Incarnate
  • The Cipher
  • Naomi's Room
  • The Unblemished
  • The Girl Next Door
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Summer of Night
  • Dweller
  • Dead Sea
  • The Descent
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Tower Hill
  • Sparrow Rock
  • Let's Go Play At The Adams'
  • Survivor
  • The Ritual
  • The Mailman
  • Berserk
Scott Bechtel Smith is an American author and screenwriter. He has published two suspense novels, A Simple Plan and The Ruins, and adapted them for the screen.

(from wikipedia)
More about Scott B. Smith...