Start by marking “Straight to the Pole” as Want to Read:
Straight to the Pole

Straight to the Pole

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Freezing wind. Bone-chilling ice. Knee-deep snowdrifts.
A lone figure struggles through a terrible storm. He's swaddled up to the eyes, leaning into the wailing wind, plodding through knee-high snowdrifts. Every step in this barren wilderness is a battle. Will he be able to reach the distant Pole? Not if his overactive imagination has anything to do with it.
Published October 17th 2006 by Walker Childrens (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Straight to the Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight to the Pole

Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Dolly
Jan 09, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very humorous book about a boy's dramatic and dangerous journey to the pole (the bus stop pole, that is.) It's a fun book to read on a cold, snowy day and the ending is ironic and cute. The illustrations are very adorable and help show that the drama of the narrative is not being met by reality. Our girls really enjoyed this book, especially the "wolf."
Meghan
Dec 08, 2008 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A true example of a picture book that tells a great story with very minimal text - perfect for a beginning reader. I also really loved how imagination is celebrated as the boy makes his way through the perils of an imaginary blizzard.
The Brothers
Mar 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, storms, weather
A little boy struggles through the bitter cold and piercing wind of a snow storm to reach.... the bus stop. Oddly enough, when he learns that school is cancelled for the day, the weather turns from a nuisance into a winter wonderland.

Fun illustrations.
Rani
Jan 29, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
Freezing wind,
Bone-chilling ice,
Knee-deep snowdrifts.

A lone figure battles for every step in a terrible storm, determined to reach the distant Pole. Nothing will stop him from reaching his goal- except his own overactive imagination.
Shawna
Nov 14, 2014 Shawna added it
Shelves: edrd-314
This book will certainly not be on a shelf of a "must read." I don't think that it contains very good text. It also lacks a proper story line. This text is for a lower level reader.
Ruth Ann
Perfect for a winter themed storytime!

Kindergarten
Amanda
Apr 22, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sara Diane
Apr 12, 2013 Sara Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2013, reviewed
Very simple story that younger kids will love. Nice idea of a boy struggling to the North Pole, but of course, we know he's not really going there. The adventure aspect was good, but there just wasn't a lot of story. It left a lot to the imagination, and young kids might struggle to keep up without prompting and leading from a parent.
Shelli
May 17, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A funny story about a boy who is in the middle of a snow storm, and all the emotions and thoughts running through his head. I could see educators using this book as an example for a writing assignment on a situation with a surprise ending, and all the descriptive goodness they can use to paint a scene for the reader.
Dewey
Apr 16, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
The end of this book made me laugh out loud. With the title and the whole grueling journey through the snow, I was totally expecting it to be like a trip to the North Pole to surprise Santa before Christmas. What a delightful, hilarious twist.
Jussay
Dec 04, 2008 Jussay rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-6yrs, 6-8yrs
My daughter did not like this one when I read it aloud - and to tell the truth, neither did I - but I did enjoy it when I read it to myself. I do think that non-readers could, due to their younger age, enjoy it.
June
Feb 02, 2016 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Snow/winter requests
Shelves: picture-book, winter, snow
This is another that has fairly simple text, but I'm not sure my day care class fully got it. Maybe I'll try it with a Kindergarten class tomorrow. 1/27/15

Over the head of my young story time group...
Claire Freeman
Apr 22, 2012 Claire Freeman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 365-a
A simple story that encourages children to use their imagination, this book follows a boy battling a blizzard. Or maybe just trying to find the bus stop on a snowy day.
Julie Esanu
Feb 18, 2012 Julie Esanu rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, winter, snow
A young boy's exaggerated trek through the snow to the bus stop, only to find out that school is closed.
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Kevin O'Malley totally appeals to Maddie's sense of humor. His inscription to her is pretty spectacular.
Madison
Oct 24, 2013 Madison rated it really liked it
- A good first or second grade storytime book.
Rusty Gregory
Jan 12, 2013 Rusty Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book had a fun twist with a bang.
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
Apr 16, 2016
Elizabeth Wrobel
Elizabeth Wrobel rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Mary Napoli
Mary Napoli rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Katie Casey
Katie Casey rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.
More about Kevin O'Malley...