Start by marking “G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Volume 2

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Volume 2 (Classic G.I. Joe #2)

Cobra launches an unprecedented strike on Washington, D.C. and the Joes engage the enemy in an action-packed display of strategy and firepower. In the end, though, one popular character lies on the ground with three bullets in his back, and another is caught in a massive explosion.
Published June 1st 2002 by Marvel Entertainment Group

To ask other readers questions about G.I. Joe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G.I. Joe

Ben
Mar 13, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia overwhelming rational discussion on plot, characters, silliness of stories based on toys...
Brian
Dec 31, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
In volume 2, we start to see the formation of on going story arcs. The characters are flushed out even further. We also notice that Larry Hama has started to pick some favorite characters. Stalker and Clutch are in most of the comics. Snake eyes has started his ascendence to become the never losing, over the top fighter he will become. And while the stories themselves have gotten better. Some of the characters on the Cobra side lose their edge. In fighting, romance, and back stabbing becomes sec ...more
Ryan
Dec 27, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Another from my childhood. It is funny reading these now and realizing how basic the stories are--I remember them being so intense and awesome when I was 11 and 12. Most of the story is still pretty solid except when the scripts are written by writers than Larry Hama. The artwork is still pretty simple but in spots gets very amateurish. One nice thing about Vol. 2 is that the stories are very episodic and flow from one issue to the next very nicely--much better than some of the simplistic and fa ...more
Reepacheep
Oct 19, 2011 Reepacheep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled on this series at our library... my boys (ages 8.5 and 7) had never heard of G.I. Joe, so after reading through one myself I let them have at it with the first volume--naturally, I had to read the second volume first before passing it on. ; )

I remember the cartoons and toys when I was growing up, but never had much access to the comic book stories so I am pleased to find these collections available at our library.
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The complexity of the stories starts increasing in this volume, as does some of the seriousness. I have to admit to reading these comics completely to through nostalgia. For a reader who didn't grow up in the 80s the comics probably aren't worth it. They're a mix of reading levels, topics, and there's not much exploration of some of the characters at this point. But for those of us who remember G.I. Joe it's a great trip down memory lane. I'm looking forward to getting more of the volumes.
Heather
Dec 05, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
I got to meet new characters and I am getting better at naming who they are based on appearance, which makes the comics even more enjoyable. It was interesting how this volume focused more on getting to know the Cobra villains, as well as the Joes. It was suspenseful and entertaining and I look forward to reading the next volume.
Jdetrick
This volume is where you can begin to see the more modern GI Joe comic emerge. Larry Hama does almost all the scripting and the art stops changing hands each issue. We also see the cast expand and subplots start coming up each issue. Great stuff.
Matt
Feb 05, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: g-i-joe
This is a great volume. The story that comprises the bulk of this trade, involving Scar-Face, Kwinn, Dr Venom, and Destro, is just an excellent story that's filled with great set pieces and some excellent character work, especially with The Cobra characters. Great, great stuff.
William Quest
Dec 05, 2014 William Quest rated it liked it
It was fun re-reading the second 10 issues in this volume. It would be rated much higher, but somewhere along the printing process, they omitted a page, instead printing a previous page twice. It was pretty irritating. Good job Marvel. Thought you were better than that.
Jedi Sunni
Feb 02, 2014 Jedi Sunni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books and enjoy every single story!
John
Aug 27, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Better than the first volume because the stories are more complex. Extra Cobra characters and their infighting also make it more interesting. Reading these is like eating cotton candy.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
An excellent blend of the comic superhero style storytelling and a military war comics. Huge cast of characters and a great evil villain and organization balances the series well. Very recommended.
Dan
Dec 20, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Man, Destro sucked at first. He got much better later in the series, but early on he was a boring dick.
Brent
Aug 04, 2008 Brent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gi-joe
See G.I. Joe #1
Rebecca Spencer
Rebecca Spencer rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jatayudasa
Jatayudasa rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Mary K
Mary K rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Rickey
Rickey rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Kimmo
Kimmo rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Thad
Thad rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Kevin Wortman
Kevin Wortman rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Lorne Galloway
Lorne Galloway rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2010
Robert Rieders
Robert Rieders rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Summer
Summer rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Doyle
Doyle rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2016
Scotty Cameron
Scotty Cameron rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New Mutants Classic, Vol. 4
  • G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 3
  • The Darkness Compendium, Vol. 1
  • NYX: No Way Home
  • Deadpool vs. Thanos
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1 (New Edition)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's the Dunwich Horror
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Collected Book, Volume One (TMNT The Collected Books, #1)
  • Cosmic Odyssey
  • Dark Wolverine, Volume 2: My Hero
  • JLA: World Without Grown-Ups
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 9
  • Predator Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger
Larry Hama is an American writer, artist, actor and musician who has worked in the fields of entertainment and publishing since the 1960s.

During the 1970s, he was seen in minor roles on the TV shows M*A*S*H and Saturday Night Live, and appeared on Broadway in two roles in the original 1976 production of Stephen Sondheim's Pacific Overtures.

He is best known to American comic book readers as a write
More about Larry Hama...

Classic G.I. Joe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero,  Volume 1