Start by marking “A Cold Christmas (Susan Wren, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Cold Christmas (Susan Wren, #5)

A Cold Christmas (Susan Wren #5)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Brodie Farrell finds things for a living, and when she's asked to locate the whereabouts of Daniel Hood, she sees nothing suspicious in the request. She finds the young man, passes the details on to her client, and commends herself on a job well done. But when the young man is found brutally tortured and left for dead, Brodie is overcome with guilt.

Still blaming herself w
Published December 17th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Cold Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cold Christmas

LJ
A Cold Christmas - G
Charlene Weir - 5th in series
Caley James has three children, no money, a derelict house, an irresponsible ex-husband, and the flu. Not only that, but it's Christmas. When the furnace dies during Hampstead, Kansas', longest cold spell ever, she thinks things can't get any worse, but then her youngest child finds the repairman's body in the basement." "The case falls to Chief of Police Susan Wren, whose officers are dropping like flies with the omnipresent flu. As Susan investi
Patty
I really like these stories. Susan is the Chief of Police in a small town in Kansas but she comes from the big city of San Francisco. She gets an offer to go back, and at first it seems like the perfect offer, that is until there is a murder, most of her staff/officers are out with the flu and the deadline for making a decision is only weeks away. Can she solve the murder and then walk away from all the friends she has made here - and can she go back to taking orders after having been police chi ...more
Grey853
Glenda
This cozy mystery was an enjoyable read. It moved along at a good pace and the characters were interesting and believable.

Since I was involved in the story, the descriptions for the setting were a little repetitive with characters constantly observing that it was cold. Also, the last big action scene for the apprehension of the suspect seemed a little overdone, probably because it followed so closely after another action scene which was the real highlight of the book.

I will look for more books b
Carol
Murder mystery set in Kansas-interesting characters including some cute preteens. Chief of Police Susan Wren is almost the only person in town who doesn't have the flu during this cold Christmas season. Quick read-I read it in less than three hours. This book held my attention and it was well written.
Lisa Voisen
A good murder mystery, although several characters were introduced, they weren't developed. I was disappointed in that. The story could have been a bit longer with more side stories, with the newer characters having a bigger role in the mystery.
Diane
This short book has too many characters in it - couldn't remember who they were or keep them straight in my mind. I guess I was expecting this to be an easy read, but it turned out to be a little complicated.
Redhead
Enjoyed the setting and the story. Would like to read more that kept the charaters beyond the "series" charaters. Minimal sense of place, but good plot.
Jill
This was the first book I read by Charlene Weir. I really enjoyed it and have been perusing thrift stores for more of her books.
Michelle
This was really a great holiday mystery, and a bit more violent than your usual holiday read.
Debby Johnson
four starts this is the book that got me hooked on Susan Wren mysteries.
Jillybean
A good Christmas mystery . . . a little choppy at times though.
Elyn
Elyn added it
Dec 31, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Angela Freeman
Angela Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lexie
Lexie added it
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Charlene Weir was born in Nortonville, Kansas. She grew up in Hutchinson, Kansas. After graduating from nurses' training she attended the University of Oklahoma and worked as a public health nurse. She is the creator of "Susan Wren", police chief in Hampstead, Kansas.
More about Charlene Weir...

Susan Wren (7 books)
  • The Winter Widow (Susan Wren, #1)
  • Consider the Crows (Susan Wren, #2)
  • Family Practice (Susan Wren, #3)
  • Murder Take Two (Susan Wren, #4)
  • Up in Smoke (Susan Wren, #6)
  • Edge of Midnight (Susan Wren, #7)
The Winter Widow (Susan Wren, #1) Consider the Crows (Susan Wren, #2) Family Practice (Susan Wren, #3) Edge of Midnight (Susan Wren, #7) Up in Smoke (Susan Wren, #6)