Start by marking “Golden Gate Gardening: Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California” as Want to Read:

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"Golden Gate Gardening", the definitive primer on vegetable gardening in Northern California, is encyclopedic in its coverage of gardening principles and practices specific to the region. Full of information and camaraderie, this book explains how to grow common vegetables and herbs and add unusual ones that bring variety to the garden. Line art throughout .
Published January 7th 2002 by Sasquatch Books (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Gate Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Gate Gardening

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverPest Control for Organic Gardening by Amber RichardsFood Rules by Michael PollanFour-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
Best Books on Growing Food
16th out of 45 books — 52 voters
All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel BartholomewLasagna Gardening by Patricia LanzaWestern Garden Book by Kathleen Norris BrenzelCarrots Love Tomatoes by Louise RiotteFour-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
Gardening Books
246th out of 290 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm marking this as 'read' and adding it to my reference shelf because it's not really the type of thing you read cover to cover. I recently moved to the Outer Sunset neighborhood in SF (about 10 blocks from the beach along the N line) to an apartment with an overgrown garden, and this has really been invaluable in planning and reclaiming that space. It really is a must read for anyone with foggy summers, sandy soil, and salty air.

I mean, without this book, I would have tried to grow tomatoes a
I don't know if I can ever take this book off the "currently reading" shelf. Much like your favorite cookbook, Golden Gate Gardening is something you go back to time after time. It has been a constant reference for me since I began gardening. Pam Pierce fills this book with localized knowledge, mostly to do with edibles. If you live in the Bay Area (especially the fogbelt) and would like to garden year round this is really an invaluable reference.
Better (more readable, more pertinent) than The Garden Primer, although still a little listy in areas. I purchased it on my kindle when I wasn't making progress fast enough for the library copy, but it was definitely harder to read in e-book format as there are lots of insets and asides. Sometimes Ms. Peirce waxes a little preachy, but for the most part I enjoyed it and will use it as a reference.
Karen Mahtin
I've never sat down and read this whole book. My dear friend Marcus recommended it to me in like 2000 when I wanted to start a garden, and I've used it as a reference book ever since. The newer (2011?) edition was the textbook for my Organic Gardening and Food Production class at Santa Rosa Jr. College. A key resource for anyone who wants to grow food in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Marcus K
Jan 22, 2008 Marcus K rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bay area gardeners
Recommended to Marcus by: wheels
If you live in the Bay Area you must own this book. Info on how plants do in the fog, micro-climate specific planting info, stuff on fruit trees, and lots and lots of write ups on all sorts of plants. I keep the sunset western around as a sort of encyclopedia, but this is the one I turn to when its time to go play in the dirt.
I will never be done reading this book. It has the best charts for figuring out when to plant what in which areas of the SF Bay region. The information on weeds and pests is also very helpful. I try to check out her blog on a regular basis to see what's going on with her test gardens and which plants she recommends.
If you live in the Bay Area, you need a gardening book specific to our own microclimate, NOT a British gardening book, NOT a New England gardening book. This one is full of proper charts for all the plants which are capable of making it in local farms and gardens and I'm glad I ran across it.
Great resource for growing veggies in Northern California. I dare call it a bible of sorts. It's packed with good information. The only thing missing is nice color photos. It wasn't a big issue for me. I got the Western Sunset edible gardening book that is full of photos at the same time.
Excellent resource and gift book. Includes recipes, one of my all-time favorites is for eating garden snails, which I had not encountered outside of University of California publications. A strong rival and much better in some ways than the Sunset Western Garden book.
This should really be called golden gate food gardening, as it only covers edible plants. good resource, but only has black and white illustrations of some plants. Lots of planting charts to help you figure out when to plant.
Leslie Castellanos
If you live in the SF Bay Area and you garden, this is the book to have. It's specific to the area and recognizes our soil, fog and tiny microclimates. It's focused mostly on vegetable gardening.
Aug 05, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in CA or who likes gardening
Recommended to Nikki by: stanford community farm folks
Didn't read all of this, will probably pick it up now and then to peruse.

I love my garden plot !!

happiness is warm dirt, yes it is....
Dr. K Reads
Sep 20, 2011 Dr. K Reads rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bay Area Green Thumbs
Great reference for seasonal planting but lacking in info related to sustainable gardening. Has some good info on small plot and container gardening.
The best book on edible gardening for the San Francisco Bay Area. This new edition adds new information for non-Fog belt regions.
Sep 09, 2007 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF wannabe veg growers
Super helpful, though only about vegetables. If you want native plants that don't necessarily produce food, go elsewhere.
Okay, so this isn't a book I read from front to back, but it is a great gardening tool that I can use forever.
Excellent and indispensable for the San Francisco Bay Area Gardener. This is the go-to book for gardening.
I read and reference this book at least once a week. A damn fine gardening resource.
Eznelak (Jamie)
Will be forever referencing as long as we live in the BA! Has anyone used the 4th ed?
Great gardening book! Especially for those of use that live in foggy, coastal climates.
Awesome reference book for gardening in the weird climate that is the Bay area.
Sep 10, 2009 Beck rated it 5 of 5 stars
I am always reading and referring to this book. Super helpful.
Outstanding reference for this region; Pam Pierce covers it all.
Dec 15, 2011 Ellie added it
A direct corollary to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. :)
This is the go-to book for any Bay Area gardener.
SF Bay Area Gardener's Best Bud
Mar 03, 2009 Jane is currently reading it
What should I plant?
Apr 28, 2009 Julia marked it as reference
Christmas gift.
Butte added it
Nov 06, 2015
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
  • Stairway Walks in San Francisco
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
  • The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping: Home Landscaping with Food-Bearing Plants and Resource-Saving Techniques
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • You Grow Girl: You Grow Girl
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces
  • Teach Yourself Visually Handspinning
Pam Peirce is the author of Wildly Successful Plants: Northern California and Golden Gate Gardening. She writes the "Golden Gate Gardener," question and answer column in the San Francisco Chronicle and is the author of the blog

Pam is a founding board member of the San Francisco League of Urban Gardeners (SLUG) and an honorary advisory board member of SF GRO (San Franc

More about Pam Peirce...