Start by marking “Conquerors' Heritage (The Conquerors Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conquerors' Heritage (The Conquerors Saga, #2)

Conquerors' Heritage (The Conquerors Saga #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,654 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Zhirrzh alien Searcher Thrr-gilag is disgraced, his engagement imperilled.He is a target of hidden and powerful forces seeking to remake Zhirrzh society in their own merciless image.His only hope is to prove authorities wrong:Humans did not start the war. ...more
Published August 1995 by Spectra Bantam Doubleday Dell (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Conquerors' Heritage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquerors' Heritage

Atlas of Remote Islands by Judith SchalanskyInfinite City by Rebecca SolnitThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootJust Kids by Patti SmithMakers by Cory Doctorow
KiwiFoo 2011 Recommendations
67th out of 77 books — 17 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Complete Works by William ShakespearePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Starship Book List
476th out of 2,413 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Troy G
Apr 14, 2011 Troy G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
With this book Timothy Zahn accomplishes several things few authors are capable of. 1) He write a book from the point of view of an alien living on an alien world without any character to act as a audiance representative that learns about the world and culture along with us. 2) He makes an extremely alien culture and government seem mundane. Aliens have to do paperwork too.
3) He advances the story of the series without relying on the characters of the first book in a way that feels mostly natura
Gina
I'm so glad that I'm done with this blessed book! I dragged my way through it and to be honest, really ended up super speed- read my way through the last 100 pages. This genre is really not my thing and now I can say it with certainty having just read a decently rated book in the science fiction/ fantasy/ space setting genre. I hate completely made up worlds, people, language, religion, etc,,,, I thnk it's because I don't have anywhere to put the ideas n my head because they are obviously so for ...more
John
Aug 31, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, scifi-fantasy
(Update July 2013: The Conqueror's series is one of the most impressive stories I have ever read (I've graded ~2000). Although not all the books earned an A grade on first read because of the complexity, the overall series is a strong grade A. I suspect each story will earn a grade A on second read. The story includes more characters, situations, interactions, species, and concepts than most authors deal with in a lifetime. Yet the author manages to keep it all straight for the reader, an impres ...more
Ron
Oct 06, 2010 Ron rated it liked it
Don't you hate the second book of a three (or more) part series? Zahn wrote an excellent story, but it didn't go anywhere. I suspect that all the major plot points were at least hinted at in Conquerors' Prideand everything will be resolved in Conquerors' Legacy.

Don't waste your time on this book unless you happen to like the way Zahn writes, which I do . . . but not that much.
Ed
Feb 08, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd "Chapter" adds interest.

The 1st book Conquerer's Pride is required reading for this episode. The intriguing thing about this book is it is entirely from the alien's point of view. I don't like to do plot summaries, so suffice it that throughout the story, the war brewing between the 2 parties seems more and more a colossal mistake, possibly fomented by still other aliens.
The main impediment to my enjoyment is that the alien Zhirzh are a bit too human, even though having an incredibly uniqu
R. August
Sep 23, 2015 R. August rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I was hoping that this second book would continue the trend of the first, but I was sadly mistaken. Rather than a bunch of incomprehensible names and switching out time words (minute, hour, day, etc) with equally burdensome names (tenarc, thoustride) in order to make the aliens seem alien, just made the text an annoyance to get through since, outside of changing the vocabulary a little, there was absolutely nothing alien about the aliens. This happens a lot in sci-fi, the humans talk about how a ...more
Filip
Aug 29, 2016 Filip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, 5-stars
I loved this one! The whole idea of writing a story first from the perspective of humans, then from the aliens is great!

It is easy to write a war story from two POVs showing that both sides THINK they are right.
It is much harder to write one where both sides ARE indeed right.
It is exceptionally hard to show that both sides are certain that they are LOSING the war.

Zahn managed to accomplish all of this.

What is more important, the Zhirrzh are wonderful! They have fully realized society. On one ha
Foomy
Feb 14, 2009 Foomy rated it really liked it
This one is written from the Zhirrzh's (what's the possessive of 'Zirrzh' anyway?) point of view. It also takes place after the events of Pride, so you don't see what exactly what happened at every point during that time from this side, but you pick up the basic idea. The Zirrzh are interesting in that they have essentially conquered death, and that makes for some unique societal features.

The chief complaint I have in this book is that it has a touch of "we need a new word for no reason" syndrom
Bill
Oct 15, 2014 Bill rated it it was ok
Hmmm... hard to rate this book. And I'm tempted to wait until reading the finale, but I won't. I didn't like it at all for most of the first half and I nearly gave up on it. I'm glad I didn't though as it got going and I was fully engaged by the end. I'm tempted to go to three stars, but I'll stick with two. It's quite a feat to write a whole book from the alien perspective and hopefully I'll get the pay-off in the last book.
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the trilogy. It is pretty good as science fiction goes. This entire book is from the perspective of the aliens and Zahn has tried to make them as sympathetic and "human-like" as possible. He does a good job of it, too.
Andrew Lloyd
Sep 04, 2016 Andrew Lloyd rated it liked it
When an author decides to write a book from the point of view of an alien race, they have to make a touch decision. Do they write very similarly to human point of view, using the same speech patterns, ideologies, units of measure, etc, or do they write from a very alien point of view? The former makes a novel easier to digest and understand, while the latter definitely feels more alien, but at the risk of not letting you get as immersed in the story. Zahn chose the latter, which many may love, b ...more
Steven Laidlaw
Dec 12, 2014 Steven Laidlaw rated it really liked it
When I didn't think the series could get any better, it flipped the whole thing on its head and told if from the 'villain' perspective. Read this series. Read it now.
Scott Roberts
Feb 26, 2015 Scott Roberts rated it it was amazing
The book cover reminds me of Star Wars 4- A New Hope. When the X-Wing fighters just left the planet, so they can destroy the death star.
Luke Zwanziger
Jan 01, 2011 Luke Zwanziger rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
While not as engaging as the first book of this trilogy, still was sufficiently interesting.

The book picks up at the end of the previous, but with a unique twist, being told from the alien's point of view. The twist of the trilogy is relatively apparent, but the intent is for the reader to know and build tension as the information is not readily apparent to the majority of the characters.

It is a good read for the space opera genre. Probably nothing that will blow you away, but a good well writ
Justin Miller
Mar 30, 2016 Justin Miller rated it liked it
Not as good as his Star Wars books but still a very good option for reading a good sci-fi book.
Laurie
Nov 10, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The second in the series, written more from the point of view of the opposing force, the Conquerers. I found this added to my interest and kept the plot moving forward well. It also allowed Zahn to revisit some of the earlier episodes and fill in motivation for the aliens behavior, something most authors don't take the time to do. It is important in this case because the plot hinges on these moments. Once again, if you are a fan of what I call "good ole' sci-fi", well-plotted, character-driven, ...more
John
Apr 21, 2008 John rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the second book in a sci-fi trilogy. The first book was hard for me to put down, so I was disappointed when I discovered that book 2 switches the point of view of the narrative from the human characters that are featured in book 1 to the alien characters that are the bad guys in book 1. It wasn't until the last few chapters of this book that I felt as hooked as I had with the first book.

Conquerors' Heritage is still a good read, and perhaps I would have enjoyed it quite a bit more if it
Carlos Camargo
Apr 05, 2015 Carlos Camargo rated it really liked it
Its a good book. it's interesting see the war by et side. ...more
Matthew Dement
better than the first.
Eric
Jan 26, 2015 Eric rated it liked it
69/100
Matthew
Aug 09, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
Truly fascinating by virtue of it's focus on the prior works "villains". These are handled with tremendous detail and insight into their culture, birthed out of their unique extra-sensory physiology; a compelling metaphor on euthanasia and the right to die, coupled with thrilling narratives on the ongoing stalemate of a war with the humans. Ends on a brilliant cliff Lhanger, setting up not only for the conclusion in "Legacy", but the core MISUNDERSTANDING that threatens to destroy them both.
Cathleen Ash
In this second book of three, Pheylan has been rescued by his brother Aric and the Commonwealth continues to dealw with a deadly and dangerous agressor: the Zhirrzh. The races are more clearly developed, and even more of the Zhirrzh become likeable characters as the war continues between the Zhirrzh and the Commonwealth. Enter the Mrachianis - and decide for yourself whether they are as helpless as they seem - or whether they are indeed manipulating both species to their own benefit.
Sam
Jul 15, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-real-shelf
A solid sequel to Conqueror's Pride, with interesting insights into the Zhirrzh. The only problem was that nothing terrible exciting happened until the last 20 pages.
Ian
Feb 02, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it
Pretty good book, though it takes a bit of getting used to. It continues the story started in Conquerors' Pride, but from the side of the "invaders". Interestingly enough, they are under the impression that the humans began the conflict. It did take a bit of getting used to some of the terminology, and at times I found myself a bit lost, but once I got into the flow of the story it was every bit as gripping as the first book.
D.M. Dutcher
Jul 29, 2011 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Part two of a trilogy. The first book concerned itself about the human reaction to the Conqueror aliens, while this one is told from the alien's viewpoint. The alien race is VERY well done, with some unusual concepts and with their own motivations that reflect their biology. It gives their side of the war, and is probably the best of the trilogy.
Marc
Nov 20, 2007 Marc rated it it was amazing
This is the book that i think really proved to me Zahn's talent. After the first book, this one then jumps to the opposite perspective, from the views of the aliens. Amaazingly contructed alien culture and enthralling having one of the "enemies" become a main character you really like
Wendy
Aug 02, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
This second book in the trilogy was from the aliens point-of-view. I was ready to be annoyed but it was really quite interesting. Very well-written with a lot of intrigue and suspense without a lot of crap.
Melissa
Dec 30, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: intrigue, sci-fi
I stuck with it only because I want to finish the trilogy- it's a change in perspective and I kept tripping over the alien names. The plot finally picked up near the end of the book!
Stephanie
Jul 17, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
there was a lot I liked about this book compared over the first. unsurprisingly I'm glad I stuck with it. excited for the conclusion.
Hal
Sep 06, 2007 Hal rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I don't really recall this book too well...something about some aliens, some humans, some war, gee, where have I heard that before...
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect book details 2 14 Jul 14, 2014 11:06AM
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • The Ruins of Power (BattleTech) (MechWarrior: Dark Age, #3)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • A Call to Arms
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • The War Against the Rull
  • Serpent's Reach
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Stars In Their Courses
  • A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Conqueror (The General, #3-5)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 1: Consolidation (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Mission to Universe
  • Adiamante
  • Tunnel Through Time
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...

The Conquerors Saga (3 books)
  • Conquerors' Pride (The Conquerors Saga, #1)
  • Conquerors' Legacy (The Conquerors Saga, #3)