Start by marking “Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination: The Untold Story of the Actors and Stagehands at Ford's Theatre” as Want to Read:

April 14, 1865. A famous actor pulls a trigger in the presidential balcony, leaps to the stage and escapes, as the president lies fatally wounded. In the panic that follows, forty-six terrified people scatter in and around FordOCOs Theater as soldiers take up stations by the doors and the audience surges into the streets chanting, OC Burn the place down!OCO
This is the unt
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published November 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination

Jason
Aug 29, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
I saw this book in a local Barnes and Noble before Christmas. Needless to say, I was quite intrigued by the premise of it. I was a Theater major in college and I tend to view myself as somewhat of a "Presidential Historian" so naturally I found this book to be a great fit for me. Having read volumes on April 14, 1865 and visiting the actual Ford's Theater a few times, I was totally immersed within this work. Every American knows the story of the actual murder and cast of characters that carried ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Dec 19, 2013 My Book Addiction and More MBA rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
BACKSTAGE AT THE LINCOLN ASSASSINATION: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE ACTORS AND STAGEHANDS AT FORD'S THEATRE by Thomas A. Bogar is an interesting History set during the Civil War era. April 14,1865 was the date the "shot was heard around the theate". This is the date President Abraham Lincoln was fatally shot by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theatre. This is the untold story....

This is the day lives where changed forever, both on stage and off. A true-life thriller. Mr. Bogar shines the light on many q
Megan
Jan 22, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued from the minute I saw this book at the Lincoln Home gift shop in Springfield. My mom was quite the Lincoln fan, so growing up, I had been to most Lincoln sites and have read a vast number of books about Lincoln. I have also been acting in school and community theatre productions since I was 11. I was curious to read about, not only the info about the assassination, but also details about how the theatre worked in the 1860's. This book did not disappoint in that regard.

It's rare
Julie Failla Earhart
Mar 09, 2015 Julie Failla Earhart rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a student of Abraham Lincoln for many years. I enjoy reading about him and his family.
I always seem to learn something new. When I stumbled across this 2013 gem from Regency History, I knew I was onto something.

None of the other books I had read or movies I had seen every delved into this particular aspect of the assassination. As Bogar researches this unmined area, he makes some interesting revelations.

The book is about the forty-six actors and stagehand that were either on stage or b
Gerald D.
Oct 23, 2014 Gerald D. rated it really liked it
A third of "Backstage" details the activities of actors and actresses, stagehands, and others who were working at Ford's Theater on the night of April 14, 1865--all 46 of them; thankfully, there is a list with short descriptions of each person for quick reference as needed. The rest of the book covers the the investigation that followed the assassination and explores some theories about who may have assisted John Wilkes Booth. The narrative is never dull, and I learned a lot about the world of ...more
David Bales
Oct 01, 2014 David Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A very interesting book about the various actors, actresses, stagehands, ticket takers, etc. who were at Ford's Theater on the night of April 14th, 1865, the night Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth. The resulting dragnet snared pretty much everyone who was there: actors and crew alike, many being held for weeks and relentlessly questioned. The theories about who might have been involved continue to this day. Interesting reading.
Lawrence
Feb 05, 2014 Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Thomas Bogar takes us backstage to meet the actors and stage hands on the night Lincoln was assassinated all of whose lives were never the same again. One of the things that I found interesting was the look at the jobs and terms of the theater in the 1860's. Everyone that was there is accounted for and were looked at as possible conspiritors and threatened with arrest and violence by a grieving city. An important book for understanding what happened that night.
Eric Ruark
May 08, 2014 Eric Ruark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This book is for the kinds of people who like "the rest of the story" kind of thing. I loved it. It tells the story of what happened to the people who were on stage and backstage when Lincoln was killed. Most of them knew Booth, had drinks with him or acted with him at other venues. Many of them feared for their lives in the backlash. A great read that I readily recommend to history and Civil War buffs.
Scott
Feb 14, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent analysis of the actors, crew and management of the Ford Theater who were performing, Our American Cousin when the assassination of President Lincoln took place. I had no idea the imprecations to the cast and crew as a result. The book is a fascinating account.
Nancy
Apr 16, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: history, assassins
This was an interesting book. It left me feeling there were many unanswered questions, and feeling some of the people found guilty, were innocent. All of the people in that theater production were affected for the rest of their lives.
Bruce
Apr 05, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it
Interesting take on what happened to the staff of Ford's Theatre before and after the Lincoln assassination. Enjoyed the book but found myself at times feeling as if I were wading through minutia.
Valerie
Fascinating story of those who participated onstage or behind the scenes on the night of Lincoln's assassination. I also enjoyed learning about the theater structure as well.
Molly
Aug 31, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it
It was very good I like having a new perspective of this event in American history. It is not for those who do not enjoy history or facts
Deva Ingraham
Deva Ingraham rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Caleb Southern
Caleb Southern rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
bookmammal
bookmammal rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Mandy Dubiansky
Mandy Dubiansky rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Tim Kent
Tim Kent rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Mallory
Mallory rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
John Mcnabb
John Mcnabb rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Dale A. Sherry
Dale A. Sherry rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Victoria J. Van Voorhis
Victoria J. Van Voorhis rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Laurie Platt
Laurie Platt rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2015
Michael Gentry
Michael Gentry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
BIG BOOKS
BIG BOOKS rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014