The Dragon and the Raven

The Dragon and the Raven

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Unedited, unabridged, original format editions with original colored cover art, these Henty books reproduce the original in careful detail.

In this story the author gives an account of the fierce struggle between Saxon and Dane for supremacy in England, and presents a vivid picture of the misery and ruin to which the country was reduced by the ravages of the sea-wolves. Th

Published October 1st 2002 by Robinson Books (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Raven

Because_I'm_Batman
This was a book I had to read for school and I must say I enjoyed it, it was a nice story that told the history surrounding that time period in a fantastic way. It was a rather straight forward style of writing with okay dialogue, the further I got the more sucked in I was.
Jed Trott
Mar 27, 2008 Jed Trott rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adolescent boys
I read a lot of Henty when I was around twelve. This is classic brit lit for boys jingoistic and sensational. Lots of fun if you are the right age.
Bill Tillman
Great children's tale as told by one of the 19th century's great authors.
K.
Sep 09, 2010 K. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
for heroes
Eustacia Tan
G.A Henty's stories are aimed at boys and are super patriotic, to the point of offending those that aren't British. As a result, all his heroes are blond boys. Thankfully, this is believable in The Dragon and the Raven, unlike The Cat of Bubastes (really, a blond boy in Ancient Egypt?). Apart from being suspiciously similar to English boys, his characters also approach the Gary Sue character, being brave and heroic and .. and ... zzzz. I actually read it more for the descriptions of the period o...more
Kori
A century ago Henty was the children's author of choice throughout the British Empire. His adventures were filled with great characters, perfect role models for British youth. The stories are well paced and give an interestign insight into Victorian England. They are also well written, fast paced adventures.

The Dragon and the Raven is a novel about the days of King Alfred. Like all Henty's books, this work aims at historical accuracy and reproduces the faith and concerns of the era. King Alfred...more
Penny
This is one of over a hundred books written by a Victorian historian G A Henty. This one follows a Saxon teenager called Edmund whose father is killed in battle when the Vikings overrun East Anglia. Edmund flees to the Kingdom of Wessex to join forces with the young King Alfred. Edmund is in many battles which at first the Saxon lose, then as he and young Alfred get talking they decide to use and adapt Roman warfare methods such at the 'turtle' and tight formations in wedge shapes. Edmund begins...more
Anthony
I have heard lots of rave reviews about G.A. Henty's books, especially in home school education circles where his books are widely regarded as a great way to help children (especially boys) to enjoy learning about history. This was my first opportunity to read a Henty book, and I must say that solely based upon all the hipe I was disappointed by this book. I'm hopeful that I just didn't pick out one of his better works for my initial Henty read and plan to try again at least once more.

From what...more
Tish
Written in 1886 for young people, this is a relatively good account of the reign of King Alfred. I'm working through Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales and the two accounts have some amazing similarities. Both tell the story through a main character who is a young Saxon boy, orphaned son of a nobleman who, although young, becomes Alfred's go-to war leader in the long conflict with the Danes, using innovative military strategies to prevail against seemingly overwhelming odds. The hero also oversees t...more
Audrey ~ "You're my friend." "You're my mission."
I read this book for Literally Analysis class. The writing, it being written in the 1800s, was a bit slow and dragging, but the book picked up pace toward the end. I enjoyed the plot, and more specifically the personal subplot of Edmund's life. It was very interesting to read the wars of the Saxons and Danes. Three cheers, to King Alfred!
Kristina Jo
Definitely guilty of summarizing and telling, but since it covers 30+ years of history, it'd be a ridiculous epic if it showed us every last detail. My biggest problem is that our main character and our Only Female Character fall in love without us ever seeing why. But it was still an enjoyable book, especially since I read the introduction first. This revealed that Henty made up stories to tell his kids after dinner, and that historians have recognized the accuracy in Henty's histories (except...more
Wendy Rabe
All I can say is: I'm so glad we're finally finished with this book. I have heard so many homeschoolers rave about G.A. Henty, and we have tried off and on over the years to read him. The problem is I just don't find him an inspiring writer. He includes so many details and descriptions that are not necessary, and none of them are the kind that make the reader's heart soar. Yes, we learned many facts about the battles between the Saxons and Danes, a glimpse of King Alfred, and a taste of life in...more
Katherine Griessmann
A shorter read by Henty. Not as good as some of the others(in my opinion)but still a really good read.
Dominique
Great Viking - early English history. Good story, easy to follow, kept me reading.
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 12 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them. http://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
Keenan
Great book. I like many others heard of it through a homeschooler that I'm friends with. After hearing of it I picked up a couple of books and liked them so I got this one. It really is a good way to learn the history between Danes and the Saxons. I have to agree that at times it sounded like a history book, but so what? I liked the constantly moving story and the many situations the main character was put into. I really enjoyed it.
dragonnesswarrior
Here we go with Jim Hodges again. Hopefully, I'll be used to his accent by then. I've never read the book, but being interested in English history, asked for this for christmas.
It takes place in the days of King Alfred and the Viking Invasion so it should be an interesting book to listen to as all of G.A. Henty's books are.

Warning!: This can only play on an MP3 player, computer, or MP3 compatible cd player.
Bekka
A somewhat dry rendition of the events surrounding the Danish invasions during the time of Kind Alfred. The book is more about one of his nobility, Edmund, than about Kind Alfred. The book was first published in 1885, and was aimed solely at British boys, and subsequently has an imperial viewpoint. It's entertaining, as much for its reflection of its Victorian ideals as for the history of King Alfred.
Natasha
The only problem with reading quality literature as this is that lesser books are no longer appealing. Its a good thing Henty wrote so many! I look forward to expanding my knowledge of history with more of his (and like) novels. This adventurous tale, the Dragon and the Raven, with its undulating plot line, kept me intrigued throughout. A great book!
Another great historical novel from Henty. I particularly appreciated the large amount of interaction between Edmund and his distressed maiden. (There was much more than is typical for a Henty novel). Set in a rioutous time, this book demonstrates that even younger adults can significantly impact their culture for the better.
Faith Bradham
I thought that it was a good book, but I was irritated that he addressed it too his "dear lads". Why would he presume that only boys would read his books? I know that this is a nit-picky point and that he wrote it a long time ago, but still! Anyways, I did like it, but I thought it was a little stiff.
Curtiss
Another of Henty's historical novels in which the juvenile hero grows to maturity, faces adversity, encounters real-life heroes (in this case Alfred the Great, King of Wessex and England), and in the end wins renown - and the girl.
Curtiss
A good historical novel...I liked King Alfred but this book brought the whole period to life. Again, called me strange (it's been said many a time before), I enjoy things Middle Ages.
Bethany
Nice historical fiction. I could not believe how not great the narrator was. This one might be better in book form. I did really enjoy the story of Edmund and Frieda. :)
Susie
Did not finish! I tried to listen to this very dated historical fiction novel. There was just too much info-dumping and not enough story. I listened to 2 discs and gave it up.
Brian
Henty is fun if you don't take him too seriously. I found this to be one of his better books. The story of Alfred that he smuggles in is jolly good fun.
James
Quite a fun story of battles, cunning, & chivalry. Edmund provides an example for boys wishing to live a life of honor and bravery.
Meg
One of my two absolute favorite Henty books! I love it! Vikings and Anglo-Saxons and sea battles and battles and hiding!
Karla M
This was a good read aloud. It stimulated conversations with my son about history. It was one of the better Henty's
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • The Brethren
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Sword Song
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Men of Iron
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Mary Jones and Her Bible
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Mother
  • The Coral Island
  • The Scottish Chiefs
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Talisman
George Alfred Henty began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote approximately 144 books in ad...more
More about G.A. Henty...
The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce Beric the Briton Young Carthaginian For the Temple