Start by marking “Little Toot” as Want to Read:
Little Toot

Little Toot (Little Toot )

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,411 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
"I am delighted to know that this classic piece of Americana, Little Toot, will be enjoyed by readers of all ages for years go come." --Eric Carle

First published in 1939, this classic story of the energetic tugboat is brought to new life in this restored edition. With the help and support of Hardie Gramatky's estate, to mark the 100th anniversary of his birth, we have used
Published September 6th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Little Toot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Toot

Linda Smith
Jul 22, 2008 Linda Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a child of any age who wants to be a hero
Recommended to Linda by: Hardie & Doppy Gramatky
OK, of course I love Little Toot because he's been part of my life since I was born! My dad wrote and illustrated it, and in 2007, I was part of getting Putnam to publish this beautiful, vibrant restored edition with the original endpapers and some rescanned or new artwork from the first edition (1939). I love the enthusiasm that readers have for Dad's original watercolors. It's fun to see that others love this mischievous little tugboat too.
Greg Strandberg
Jan 20, 2015 Greg Strandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I read this book to my son at the library today and it was really good. Little Toot has big waters to fill, with this granddad, an old river tug, and his dad, Big Toot. The drawings are really good and it's nice to see an author able to do something so good, in it's own way.

Certainly a good story well worth reading.
John Yelverton
Oct 21, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
Such a fun and happy little book that is absolutely perfect for little kids.
Karah Webb
Little Toot was one of the smallest tugboats out there, but he came from a great family of important elder tugboats. Little Toot did not like to tow bigger boats, and would much rather play all day creating figure 8's in the river. One night, he got caught in the middle of a huge storm where others were in danger. Little Toot used his smoke bubbles to create and SOS for others to see far away. Little Toot had saved the day and he was respected from that day forward. This story would be good for ...more
Jami
Dec 01, 2010 Jami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Right up there with Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel.
Judy
Delightful illustrations hit the mark both for their artistic merit and child-friendly, expressive charm. Perfect picture book illustrations. The story is timeless in its appeal to a preschool to beginning school age; exploring themes of self worth, being brave and learning to behave with self awareness.
Margaret
Oct 29, 2014 Margaret marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade Curriculum
Excerpts and/or reprints included in Stories And Fables.
Craig
Not my favorite, but it is in heavy rotation in Chloe's bedtime "greatest hits" right now. Personally, I would have given it one or two stars, but she loves it - so it is granted three stars.
Mia Balsamo
Sep 22, 2012 Mia Balsamo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
PB26: A classic picturebook that I remember from my childhood. Little Toot is just a playful little tugboat that does not want to venture out into the scary sea but enjoys playing in the river instead. That is, until he is made fun of by the other tugboats, and then he becomes determined to be as great of a tugboat as his father and grandfather! It is a great story about overcoming your fears and becoming the person that you were meant to be. I would definitely recommend this book for children w ...more
Rose Goodwin
This was one of my favorite books to read when I was little. I liked how the tug boat proved he could do big things. I like the way the boats all have different personalities.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book when I was a little girl. Read it to my own little girl last night. Some interesting morals in the story about hard work and feeling needed.
Allison
Sep 25, 2011 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Anthropomorphism of boats! Yay! While some of the details of this story could be challenging to explain to children today (boats from Antarctica loaded with whale oil, being proud of how much smoke one can make) the moral message is great and comes full-circle.

Little Toot doesn't like to work, he ends up being ridiculed by his friends, he sulks, he ends up in the right place at the right time to help in an emergency, becomes a hero, and changes his ways. It's actually an inspirational little sto
Betty
Jul 03, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has stood the test of time remarkably well. I remember it fondly both from my childhood and from reading it aloud to my children.
Alexandra
May 19, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I've liked this book since I was a kid. It's about being tough, making good decisions and following the example of your parents.
Cathy
I enjoyed this book as a child and loved to read it to my son when he was little. The artwork is fun too.
Thatgirl
Jul 14, 2014 Thatgirl rated it really liked it
It was a little bit boring but I still read it and I enjoyed some parts but others I didn't care about..
Amanda
Little Toot is used in Melody Time.

I remember this as a Golden Book as a child, and the story of the small tugboat. Still cute, and this restored edition has great watercolors. I know that I've seen Melody Time before, but I don't really remember this. Excited to watch it again!
Shayla Drumm
May 29, 2015 Shayla Drumm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is a realllllyyyyy looooong book!! Ages 3 or 4+ unless they have a great attention span.
Monica
Jan 25, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books from my childhood! It was a joy to re-read these books today!
Roger
Jan 18, 2015 Roger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Great artwork and lessons, like a 1939 grandparent to Disney's "Cars".
Jim Larson
Mar 25, 2015 Jim Larson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a wonderful book for a small child. Full of fun and adventure.
Connie D
My daughter loved this.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 19, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I read this when I was a kid. Cute story.
Diana
May 28, 2015 Awjtf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
very cute book!
Robin Brennan
Feb 24, 2013 Robin Brennan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Maddie came home talking about Little Toot and the fact that they hadn't had time to finish the story. It stopped me for a minute as I wondered if it was the same story that I had read as a child and then read to my children. As she spoke, knew it was one and the same, so had to get her a copy, so we could enjoy this memory together. She was so surprised to hear that I had read this as a child and that her father had read it also. It was a wonderful experience.
Cherene
Mar 16, 2013 Cherene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful story is both vibrant in it's tale and it's gorgeous artwork. And, even for my distracted son that was still focused on beating the latest of the Batman levels on Wii, children can be sucked into the intensity of it all. My son, literally, crashed around on his bed sheets in an attempt to dramatize Little Toot's adventure in the waves for me. And who can fault a book that does that?
Malbadeen
Jul 19, 2007 Malbadeen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the work ethics
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes I wish I was born after the depression so that I could have the strong work ethic and good morals of their childrens books. I have to admit I think they're so sweet and I love a lot of them, including Mike Mulligen and the Steam Shovel, Katy and the Big Snow, Make Way for ducklings, and that one about the house of the hill that I'm too lazy to walk over and get right now.
Beth
May 04, 2010 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Toot doesn't like work at all or the thought of pulling big ships. After being made fun of for playing and making figure eights, he decides to make his father proud. He made his smoke balls spell S.O.S. when a ship needed help. Other boats come to help, but Little Toot is the star. He works hard from then on.
Ivan
Sep 05, 2012 Ivan rated it it was amazing
A classic. This is one I had as a little boy - it's right up there with Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Great watercolors and a "can do" story.
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • Avocado Baby
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • The Church Mouse
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Barbapapa
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
Bernhard August "Hardie" Gramatky, Jr. was an American painter, author, and illustrator. In a 2006 article in Watercolor Magazine, Andrew Wyeth named him as one of America's 20 greatest watercolorists. He wrote and illustrated several children's books, most notably Little Toot.

Hardie Gramatky was born in Dallas, Texas, the second of three sons born to Bernhard Gramatky and Blanche Gunner Gramatky.
More about Hardie Gramatky...

Little Toot (8 books)