Start by marking “Challenge of the Big Trees: A Resource History of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks” as Want to Read:

"A close look at every aspect of the administration of Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. . . . An excellent case study in a genre where such works increasingly abound."--Journal of Arizona History

"This book helped me to appreciate the character of Sequoia-Kings Canyon, a special place in a system of special places."--Geographical Review

"This attractive, well-illustr

Published January 28th 1991 by Three Rivers, California, U.S.A.: Sequoia Natural History Assn (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Challenge of the Big Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Challenge of the Big Trees

Charlie
Mar 28, 2012 Charlie rated it really liked it
Bill Tweed is a National Park Service officer, historian, and author par excellence. His prose is as engaging as a mystery writer's, and he conveys a deep love for nature and the NPS. I got to know him 10 years ago when I was a board member of the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Foundation. He is inspiring and so is his writing. This is a terrific book for anyone interested in how the NPS came to be, including the intrigue, politics, and personalities that have shaped it.
Krista
Sep 24, 2008 Krista rated it really liked it
This was a really complete history, but I was hoping on some more in depth info on some topics. But very good. Amazing all of the different road and facility proposals over the years. I'm glad I read this while I'm still here, but would have been helpful to have read early season (lots of good info for programs).
David Page
David Page rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2008
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Robert Parrett
Robert Parrett rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2016
Gilbert
Gilbert rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Rwilliams8
Rwilliams8 rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Cidney
Cidney rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Trevor Bexon
Trevor Bexon rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Kim
Kim added it
Nov 04, 2011
Athena
Athena is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2012
Will
Will added it
Nov 03, 2012
Peter
Peter added it
May 24, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Slarice
Slarice marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
A.O.
A.O. marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015