Start by marking “Holy Bible: King James Version” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: King James Version

Read Book

Holy Bible: King James Version

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  155,294 Ratings  ·  4,083 Reviews
This up-to-date version of the universally accepted text from the King James Bible will make a handsome addition to any home. The revised translation is easily accessible for the modern reader, and is based on the original King James Version, published in 1611. In the course of time, the King James Version came to be regarded as "the Authorized Version.” It has been termed ...more
Published January 15th 2008 (first published 1611)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Jason Sullivan My advice would be to try and think of it not as fact, but as a work of fiction. That way all you have to do is think about the lessons it's trying to…moreMy advice would be to try and think of it not as fact, but as a work of fiction. That way all you have to do is think about the lessons it's trying to teach. Think about it like this, if you read a Harry Potter book under the assumption that it was based on fact then you would think it were ridiculous, but because you think of it as a work of fiction then it's enjoyable.

Take the story of Noah's Ark for example, when I was younger I thought it was not only stupid to believe, but also impossible that anyone could build a ship big enough to carry two of every animal, bird, and reptile for 30 days and nights. Not to mention the amount of food you would need for them and the size of the crew you would need to care for and clean up after them. It's obviously impossible. And it was nonsense like that that turned me off to the bible for many years.

Then one day it just dawned on me to think of it as a work of fiction written by some anonymous author, and when I did that I was able to look past the nonsense and actually see what the purpose of the stories were.

So in conclusion I suggest trying to read the bible in the same way you would watch a movie like twilight or harry potter, if you try and dissect everything that is fake or impossible then you won't enjoy it, but if you just read the bible as if it were a work of fiction written by say Stephen King then you might be able to get through it.

Hopefully this helps and I hope I was able to state this way of thinking towards the bible clearly (I've tried to explain this to other people and they just didn't get it).

(less)
Starfish Prime Because Christians, being part of the dominant religion in the West, have generally shown us nothing but hate and discrimination. I am not a pushy…moreBecause Christians, being part of the dominant religion in the West, have generally shown us nothing but hate and discrimination. I am not a pushy atheist, in fact I'm pretty indifferent about it, but all I have to do is identify with that "a" word and people react like I just said I'm a child molester or a terrorist or something. I don't judge people based on their metaphysical positions. All I ask is that you do the same thing in return.

Yes, I know. Not ALL Christians are bad people. I'm not a child, you don't have to remind me. In fact, I like the majority of you individually, but as a group, you discriminate against people of other faiths or of no faith wherever you're the majority religion.

I was once a young, bitter atheist like the people writing those comments, and I know the place where it comes from. It's that combination of persecution and youth that makes people say ignorant things.

And yes, we ARE persecuted. All you have to do is ASK ONE OF US what it's like. (Again, you don't have to remind me that Christians are persecuted in some parts of the world too. In the west, you're not. Period.)

Have some self awareness, Christians. If you want atheists to be kinder to you, be kinder to atheists. Ask yourself if you're the reason why atheists are so bitter.

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

- Matthew 7:12(less)

Dennis
Dec 04, 2013 Dennis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: level a crooked table
Badly edited, poor continuity and internal consistency. Authors seem to change between books. Plot is cliched and thin, with virtually no character development save for Judas Iscariot. The main characters of Jesus and Moses are entirely one dimensional messianic figures. The novel opens with Adam and Eve, and then ignores them for the next thousand pages or so. The built-in bookmark was a nice touch, but a little pretentious.

Oddly, it wasn't shelved with the other fiction books.
J.G. Keely
Jun 01, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the inconsolably confused
I usually like historical fiction, but this particular example has been so mitigated by the poorly-hidden didactic tautology of its too-many-cooks legion of anonymous authors and editors that it was rather difficult to enjoy. It also fell into a similar trap to the somewhat similar 'Da Vinci Code', in that it utilized a lot of poorly-researched materials and claimed them as fact.

A lot of the data matched up poorly with other historical accounts, especially when it came to numerical data. It see
Jessica
Dec 03, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The Holy, Inspired and inerrant word of God! I can say no more than READ IT!

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was inc
Manny
I've already done a review of the New Testament, so this one will focus on the first part of the book. Looking at other reviews, most of them seem to fall into a small number of categories. First, there are the people who are telling me that this is the word of God, and the greatest book ever written. Second, there are the ones reacting to the first group and telling me that it's worthless. Third (probably the largest contingent), we have the wise guys making flippant remarks. And fourth, we hav ...more
Jeff Menter
Apr 09, 2008 Jeff Menter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God's first foray into the world of literature has made quite a splash. People the world over are talking about this book (or series of books if you want to get pedantic) and for good reason; It makes some grandiose claims, it purports to be the complete authority on almost all areas of human endeavor (aside from how to choose an internet service provider), and even makes threats to the reader.

Of course, English is not God's native tongue and this book has been translated from the original arama
Dina
Apr 20, 2011 Dina rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Greek mythology, this one's for you. A penchant for fiery places, gnashing of teeth, the number 666, miracle-working zombies, and utter disdain for homosexuals and feminism are helpful, but not required.

**Spoiler alert**
He dies in the end.
Adrienne
May 29, 2007 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves:
This is the only book you need for life. This is life's instruction manual. It will give you history, answers for EVERY issue of life, comfort in times of sorrow, encouragment, prophecy (only book with prophecies that all came true) and best of all the TRUTH of why we are here. This book is actually made of 66 books written by 40 authors over 1500 years!! It has stood the test of time. I encourage anyone to give it a try. Please do not knock it till you try it. And you dont have to start in the ...more
Max
Dec 25, 2007 Max rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a work of fiction it's laughably bad and poorly conceived. Giant logical fallacies, poor character development, and all the plots are scuttled by a magical, invisible entity that's petty, cruel, tyrannical, and amoral. There is no central narrative that is worthwhile (or even believable), and each of the chapters seem written by committee rather than a singular voice. Clearly the book was so bad to begin with a team of editors had to step in and make major changes - which means no part of thi ...more
Wes
May 11, 2008 Wes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not life changing or anything. The plot was hard to follow and the editing was horrible. The characters were painfully one-dimensional and this Jesus guy delivered some of the worst dialogue I've ever read. All in all I found it too long and it took itself way too seriously. The fact that it sells so well is beyond me and the way people hold it up you'd think God himself had written the damn thing.
Jack Osider
Nov 06, 2009 Jack Osider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I offer a a logical review for you:

Okay let's be realistic here, people who give this book one star are simply biased and blind to the beauty contained in this book. Whether you believe the theology behind this book or not you cannot deny the power and brilliance it contains. The whole idea of living is centered around the idea of love. A book with the phrase "Love you enemy" is a book unlike any before it. The poetry and proverbs are inspiring and show depth. Each book has a clearly different w
George
Apr 29, 2008 George rated it did not like it
What to say about this one?

Firstly, it is much longer than it needs to be to get the point across. I mean, do we really need a few thousand pages to basically communicate the ten commandments and how God is scary, and a few thousand more to communicate that Jesus is good? I think the problem here is that there wasn't enough editing over the years. Editing was only performed by popes and kings to rewrite history the way they wanted it to go. Today a publisher would scoff at any author wanting to
Melanie
Jan 26, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I just finished a 1 1/2 year study of The New Testament. I think it was my 2nd time reading it all the way through. This 2nd time through was a much more in-depth study. I loved my study and I learned so much. My favorites parts were reading about Paul and then the Book of Revelation. Revelation has always fascinated me and so it was very interesting to really dig in and satiate my curiosity. One of my favorite verses is in Revelations 21:4, "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; an ...more
Ian Not His Real Name
A Bible You Can Bank On

My dear Holiness

Thank you for the opportunity to let the Church's Bankers comment on such an early draft of this first Bible Project.

While our familiarity with the Truth is more economical than theological, may we be so bold as to make the following recommendations after extensive consultation and debate.

Concerning Matters of Number

We were of the unanimous view that the Good Book only needs one Testament, not two.

If the Bible is to be the word of God, there must be only on
Chris
Jan 23, 2008 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much sex and violence for me.
Rita
The word of God? Unlikely.
Inventive and full of interesting stories? Most definitely yes.
But alas, I believe in Science, not fiction.

Also let's not forget about all the condoning of rape, murder and pillaging that this book is full of - especially in the Old Testament. It's disgusting to think that people call this "The Good Book" and hold it sacred.

*EDIT*
By popular demand, here are just a few (obvious) references - did my best to find the English names & translations online (http://www.bibl
Jen
Dec 03, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All seeking God's purpose and will and wanting to live Godly
Shelves:
The Holy Bible is the written world inspired by God and written by many who walked and talked with God over the past 6000 years. The creation of man, man's fall, God's plan of salvation, the prophets, judges, kings. Christ and his disciples and his ordained Apostles and their works. The Bible is the human handbook of instruction for our daily life. It holds out hope it teaches truth, it shows us the comforter and how to walk uprightly in truth and rightousness. It is a book of Mystery, Murder, L ...more
Paul Bryant
Apr 08, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it
Shelves: godreads
I realised that in my house books follow a traditional Christian path through their lives. They arrive here from a mysterious place far away (I call it Amazon) and spend a long time downstairs (on shelves, the earthly plane of existence). Eventually they come to the Day of Judgement (when I read them). After that the judgement is pronounced (Goodreads!) and they are sorted into the sheep (three to five star ratings) and the goats (one and two stars). The sheep ascend to heaven (the loft) where t ...more
Kim
What can you say about one of the most boring books of all time, yet still tops the charts for best-selling fiction. Firstly the writing style is atrocious. It's like twenty guys were only given part of the story and told to make it up and make it all fit. The inconsistencies are everywhere. They really needed a better editor.

And with so many different cooks the styles are everywhere. From dry accountant listing everything person and every thing in exacting detail, to a fantasy nut who introduc
Pete
Aug 28, 2007 Pete rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
inconsistent narrative; main character seems fickle. interminably long passages about wandering, followed by some pearls of wisdom, songs, lots of war, and plenty of stonings. passages can be interpreted or misinterpreted as mysogynistic, racist, and homophobic, if the reader tries real hard. apparently, every sperm is, in fact, "sacred". evolution and genetics called into question without convincing arguments or statistical data. last chapter seems to be written under the influence of psychoact ...more
Jonny
Apr 25, 2007 Jonny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody.
Shelves: fantasy
If it wasn't for the fact that some people actually took it seriously, this book would be a fantastic read. It's action packed, full of death and destruction, as well as advocating murder, vengeance, wars, sacrifice and rape, and even the stoning of adulterers and homosexuals - it's definetly a thrilling (if somewhat disturbing) read!

However, if you wish to read the original stories, then you may want to refer to Mithraic holy scripts, which predate the Bible by several thousand years, yet amazi
Chris
Mar 08, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves:
I felt this book had a very scattered perspective. Almost as if there were several different authors. The editing could have been better in order to eliminate the dry spots. (Begat, begat, begat, etc.... Boooooring.) Solomon's Song.... ??? What the heck was that all about. Also there were several highly unlikely characters. People living 900 Years?? 9 foot tall giants?? I'm dead, wait I'm not?? It's MY baby, no it's MY baby. Moms... wouldn't you know your baby? It is a little disconcerting you m ...more
Mahdi
كتاب ايوب

کتاب ایّوب نقطه ى عطفى است در عهد عتيق: تا پيش از اين، خداوند فرمانبری را به نعمات دنیوی پاداش می داد و نافرمانی را با مصائب دنیوی مجازات می کرد. در نتیجه هر کس به مصیبتی دچار شود بی شک گناهی کرده که مستوجب این عذاب شده. اما در اين کتاب به نظر می رسد چشم يهوديان باز شده است: چه بسيار نا به كاران سعادتمند، و چه فراوان نیکوکاران تيره بخت.

ايوب مردى است خداترس، كسى كه كمترين خدشه اى به تقوايش نمى توان كرد؛ اما به ناگاه مصائب از همه جا بر سرش جارى مى شوند. دوستانش نزدش مى آيند و به پيروى از
Carrie
Jan 11, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
1 Million Bibles are sold every week.....4.7 billion sold....no other book comes anywhere near that record!

It is unique.

I find it strange that some say, 'I don't believe the Bible' that's like saying 'I don't believe History'...go to the British Museum and see for yourself all the artifacts and the Biblical references to the places mentioned in the Bible.

So many lovers of William Shakespeare do not seem to be aware of the fact that the Bard took part in translating the King Jame's Version of the
Michael
Feb 27, 2008 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I guess it's pretty cheeky to give the Bible a bad review, but why not?

It's boring, self-contradictory, petty, and mean.

I only read it out of some kind of weird obligation to understand how the other 98% lives.

I did learn a lot, however.

If guests come by and want to rape my angel, I will let them rape my daughter.

So say we all!
Mary
Sep 26, 2007 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Holy Bible—the Book of all Books. A guidebook for life: “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Explicitly shows God’s love for humanity in the sacrificial Gift of His Son – Jesus Christ. Explains in simplicity what a man must do to be saved. “Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail…” Isaiah 34:16
Amy
Jun 29, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone :)
The "LDS Edition" is great because of the footnotes and reference pages at the back that make it easier to study-- but as long as it's the King James Version it is good by me! :)

(I'm not a big fan of all these new-fangled Bibles where they use hip and simple words. There were enough things changed and left out by previous translators!! I don't think we need MORE people interpreting and "simplifying" the word of the Lord.)
Shane Lusher
Apr 17, 2008 Shane Lusher rated it did not like it
Poor prose, plot disjointed, internal logic flawed, no verisimilitude whatever. From a literary perspective, whether you're analyzing based on the idea that it's fiction or nonfiction. Most of it doesn't make sense. Worth reading because it's the basis of modern western civilization (along with the Torah, but I haven't read that), but also because you will find so much of it that has not been quoted that is just so...strange. So many things that one discovers that just do not add up, and I don't ...more
Juan Hovez
Feb 15, 2008 Juan Hovez rated it it was ok
I really don't get what the big deal is. The dialouge is wooden at best, and the love stories are stapled on. The gay zombie knife fight at the top of a waterfall is almost worth slogging through the Book of Obadiah, but I admit I just skipped ahead. The One True Faith? Maybe for the Reader's Digest crowd, but I just couldn't buy it.
May 17, 2016 Laura marked it as in-abeyance  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I decided since I had never read the Bible this was the year, so I've started. Here's what I learned: Genesis is interesting with a good narrative, and has some good funny names, like the brothers Huz and Buz. Exodus is engrossing while they're still in Egypt, but once they get out of Egypt, it's a big bore. All that happens is that God gives them directions for building the tabernacle and so forth, so it's basically like reading instructions for a piece of Ikea furniture. Leviticus is pretty in ...more
Jason Koivu
This is the most disjointed fantasy book I have read in a looong time!

Is this meant to be a collection of short stories? The one about the undead Jew who performs miraculous magic and hypnotizes people into eating bits of him and drinking his bloodwine was sick, but entertaining, I'll give it that!

Anonymous…what is that, Greek? What is up with trendy one-word names? GR doesn't like us to "review the author," so I'll leave it at that.

For now I'm not going to rate this, because it seems like ther
Bible Readers - T...: 2016 Bible Reading 28 23 Jun 25, 2016 09:35AM
Sisters in Christ...: What's your Testimony? 8 22 May 24, 2016 07:50PM
Underground Knowl...: Book of Genesis - not an original document? 35 71 May 19, 2016 09:33PM
Do you have a favorite book of the bible or scripture? 82 295 May 05, 2016 12:46AM
Radio Patio: La Torá, la Biblia y el Corán 5 68 Apr 21, 2016 09:29AM
Religious 1 11 Mar 21, 2016 05:12PM
dialogue 3000-2000 B.C.E. 1 5 Jan 31, 2016 07:09PM
  • The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Gospel Principles
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Truth Restored
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 4997 likes
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34” 787 likes