Start by marking “Dialogues de bêtes” as Want to Read:
Dialogues de bêtes

Dialogues de bêtes

«KIKI-LA-DOUCETTE : Elle a voulu - j'étais petit - me purger avec l'huile. Je l'ai si bien griffée et mordue qu'Elle n'a pas recommencé. Elle a cru, une minute, tenir le démon sur ses genoux. Je me suis roulé en spirale, j'ai soufflé du feu, j'ai multiplié mes vingt griffes par cent, mes dents par mille, et j'ai fui, comme par magie.
TOBY-CHIEN : Je n'oserais pas. Je l'aime
Paperback, Folio, 160 pages
Published November 1st 1975 by Gallimard Education (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogues de bêtes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogues de bêtes

Debbie Zapata
Dec 27, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
For some unknown reason, I have never read anything by Colette. I don't remember now how I came across this title at Project Gutenberg, but it made me curious, especially when I saw it was a series of small sketches written like plays and featuring Toby-Dog (a French bulldog) and Kiki-The-Demure (a Maltese cat). It was originally published in 1904 so is one of Colette's earlier works.

And it is absolutely delightful! There are seven scenes, such as Sentimentalities, where we first meet Toby and
Ana Rînceanu
Barks and Purrs is a collection of seven episodes in the lives of Toby-Dog, a French Bulldog, and Kiki-the-Demure, a Maltese cat, living in a comfortable household. The episodes cover a hot afternoon, a train ride, and what happened when dinner was late or their mistress was ill. We hear about the first fire in autumn, a heavy storm, and about a visitor in the household.

All in all, this seems a little boring, doesn't it? Wrong, because these loosely linked snippets into their lives are addictive
Chris
Own a furry pet that is either a dog or cat? Read this. Colette captures the attitude and strangness of those that pet owners share thier lives with.

Told as conversations between Kiki the Demure and Toby-Dog, the story concerns the pets' responses to various situtions, the most distressing being the late dinner. Immensely funny and immensely true.
Joanna
Demonstrating that feelings about cats and dogs have been consistent for the past 100 years, this 1904 book reads as if it were written last week for the Barnes and Noble gift table. Well, actually, it reads much better than that because Colette really captures the attitude and tone of a standoffish cat and a rambunctious bulldog. The book is really a collection of seven short episodes plus a prologue and mostly involves the two pets talking to each other. The readers for the public domain libri ...more
Jacek
Książka to zapis rozmów pomiędzy kotem i psem zrealizowana w formie teatralnego dramatu. Myli się jednak ten, kto po przeczytaniu tego zdania uzna książkę za twór banalny. Zwierzęta te tak doskonale zantropomorfizowane w swoim przedstawieniu zdają się mówić samą prawdę na temat tego jakie tak naprawdę są koty i psy oraz jak łatwo można odnaleźć w nich ludzkie cechy. A może to jednak na odwrót? Może autorce chodziło o to, aby pokazać jak łatwo odnaleźć cechy tych pociesznych zwierząt w nas, ludzi ...more
Sandra
Aug 30, 2009 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This brief and unexpected offering by French writer Collete is an extended dialogue between her French bull-dog, Toby-Dog, and her Maltese cat, Kiki-the-Demure, who by species and personality necessarily have quite different views of the world and of their master and mistress. Delightful reading. Both this piece and Flush, written by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, elevate the “art form.” Apparently pet companions of literary people are more literate than your run-of-the-mill cat or dog. But isn’t t ...more
Praj
Jun 16, 2010 Praj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lette
An utterly cheerful and amusing narration of various antics and experiences of TOBY- the dog and KIKI-the demure cat. Colette shrewdly depicts the several shades of traits, revealing the gullible and devoted Toby and the sly and narcissistic Kiki, whilst revealing the underlying human persona in these animals. It may sound like an elementary school read; even so it is worth a glimpse for the fineness of Colette’s inimitable flair to convey complex elements through simplistic tenderness of animal ...more
The Bookish Rose
Fun read, especially for people with pets. Written from the point of view of a dog and his feline companion, this book contains anecdotes presented in dialogue form which makes for an easy read. Not for serious readers, this book is exactly like its lead characters - a bit of fluff. The only part which I disliked was the excessively long ode to fire in one of the stories. In conclusion, it is a nice book to read when you have nothing else to read, a one-time read.
Nicole G.
Dec 08, 2014 Nicole G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Cute and clever conversations between a dog and a cat that live in a house with their humans. Despite this being translated into English, I don't think it loses any of the flavor of its original language. Even though it's rather old, it's still amusing and timely to read the well-known quirks of our pets in these pages.
Maureen M
Oct 06, 2011 Maureen M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
This cat-and-dog tale has some funny moments, but doesn't really develop beyond the dogs-are-from-Mars cats-are-from-Venus schtick. I have been looking for works that explain why Colette was so famous in the first half of the 20th Century. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
Alice Urchin
I basically just read this because it was written by Colette. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was entertaining and sort of cute, as far as talking animals go. The actual copy wasn't great, some textual errors and wrapping issues, but nothing horrible.
Jane L.
Sep 16, 2011 Jane L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess this was an amazing book for the time it was written. Not so much now. It's written from the point of view of the dog and cat. I wanted to read something of Colette's writing; now I see I should have chosen another volume.
Meg
Jun 25, 2009 Meg rated it it was ok
This book was given to me when I was 16...and I have started it so many times. I finally finished it. It was a clever idea...but Colette is probably not my favorite writer. The secret notes hidden between the pages were better. :)
Marti Martinson
Mar 09, 2015 Marti Martinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's as if Colette channeled Moliere into a Saturday morning cartoon. REALLY funny in some parts. Delightful, too, except for the extended scene at the fireplace; that grew tiresome. I could also see it as a stage play.

It's not really just for kids.
Mathieu
Jul 29, 2011 Mathieu rated it liked it
Le seul livre de Colette que j'ai lu. Sans doute pas le plus représentatif de sa carrière je suppose, mais cela m'avait bien plu à l'époque. Les dialogues étaient assez savoureux. Je ne pense pas relire de Colette cependant, mes goûts ont bien changer entretemps, pas sûr que j'accroche.
Gail Smith
Feb 04, 2013 Gail Smith rated it liked it
Clever little book. You must read Toby with an Almerican or English accent and KiKi with a bored French one!!
Maeve
Aug 22, 2011 Maeve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a more generous day this would be a four. It's amusing as both a cat owner and dog lover to read a book from animal perspectives.
Donna
Oct 02, 2012 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny little book from kindle's free collection. not quite what i was expecting, but cute read for fellow fans of talking animal stories.
Guilie
Nov 25, 2014 Guilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, dogs
Animal lovers, prepare to fall in love. Colette captures the characters of Dog and Cat perfectly, and provides a short, ultimately bittersweet, journey into their world.
Joy
Jul 25, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
quite cute, though abruptly ended. fun to peek inside the minds of a French bull dog and grey tabby cat. I've always meant to read a book by Colette and I was not disappointed.
Andrea Buschman
It's an interesting concept, to see the world through the minds of pets. I'm not sure what I expected from Colette, but this was unusual and entertaining.
Robert Monahan
Robert Monahan rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
PMC
PMC rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Silvergnak
Silvergnak rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
K.
Jul 14, 2008 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
upholstery/Normandy
Kara Sjoblom-Bay
Kara Sjoblom-Bay rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2011
Camille
Camille rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Melissa
Dec 05, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: french
Unusual and entertaining , and seeming to me completely accurate based on my own pets' personality.
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Claire Almaer
Claire Almaer rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Colline
  • We Think the World of You
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts
  • Message in a Bauble (Big Honey Dog Mysteries #3)
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie
  • Bruce
  • Confucius Cat Says...
  • The Enchanted Island of Yew
  • All Cats Are Gray
Colette was the pen name of the French novelist and actress Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette. She is best known, at least in the English-speaking world, for her novella Gigi, which provided the plot for a famous Lerner & Loewe musical film and stage musical. She started her writing career penning the influential Claudine novels of books. The novel Chéri is often cited as her masterpiece.
More about Colette...