Start by marking “Dialogues de bêtes” as Want to Read:
Dialogues de bêtes

Dialogues de bêtes

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  20 reviews
«KIKI-LA-DOUCETTE : Elle a voulu - j'étais petit - me purger avec l'huile. Je l'ai si bien griffée et mordue qu'Elle n'a pas recommencé. Elle a cru, une minute, tenir le démon sur ses genoux. Je me suis roulé en spirale, j'ai soufflé du feu, j'ai multiplié mes vingt griffes par cent, mes dents par mille, et j'ai fui, comme par magie.
TOBY-CHIEN : Je n'oserais pas. Je l'aime
Paperback, Folio, 160 pages
Published November 1st 1975 by Gallimard Education (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogues de bêtes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogues de bêtes

Chris
Own a furry pet that is either a dog or cat? Read this. Colette captures the attitude and strangness of those that pet owners share thier lives with.

Told as conversations between Kiki the Demure and Toby-Dog, the story concerns the pets' responses to various situtions, the most distressing being the late dinner. Immensely funny and immensely true.
Joy
quite cute, though abruptly ended. fun to peek inside the minds of a French bull dog and grey tabby cat. I've always meant to read a book by Colette and I was not disappointed.
Jacek
Książka to zapis rozmów pomiędzy kotem i psem zrealizowana w formie teatralnego dramatu. Myli się jednak ten, kto po przeczytaniu tego zdania uzna książkę za twór banalny. Zwierzęta te tak doskonale zantropomorfizowane w swoim przedstawieniu zdają się mówić samą prawdę na temat tego jakie tak naprawdę są koty i psy oraz jak łatwo można odnaleźć w nich ludzkie cechy. A może to jednak na odwrót? Może autorce chodziło o to, aby pokazać jak łatwo odnaleźć cechy tych pociesznych zwierząt w nas, ludzi ...more
Joanna
Demonstrating that feelings about cats and dogs have been consistent for the past 100 years, this 1904 book reads as if it were written last week for the Barnes and Noble gift table. Well, actually, it reads much better than that because Colette really captures the attitude and tone of a standoffish cat and a rambunctious bulldog. The book is really a collection of seven short episodes plus a prologue and mostly involves the two pets talking to each other. The readers for the public domain libri ...more
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.
Praj
An utterly cheerful and amusing narration of various antics and experiences of TOBY- the dog and KIKI-the demure cat. Colette shrewdly depicts the several shades of traits, revealing the gullible and devoted Toby and the sly and narcissistic Kiki, whilst revealing the underlying human persona in these animals. It may sound like an elementary school read; even so it is worth a glimpse for the fineness of Colette’s inimitable flair to convey complex elements through simplistic tenderness of animal ...more
Sandra
This brief and unexpected offering by French writer Collete is an extended dialogue between her French bull-dog, Toby-Dog, and her Maltese cat, Kiki-the-Demure, who by species and personality necessarily have quite different views of the world and of their master and mistress. Delightful reading. Both this piece and Flush, written by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, elevate the “art form.” Apparently pet companions of literary people are more literate than your run-of-the-mill cat or dog. But isn’t t ...more
Felicity
Fun read, especially for people with pets. Written from the point of view of a dog and his feline companion, this book contains anecdotes presented in dialogue form which makes for an easy read. Not for serious readers, this book is exactly like its lead characters - a bit of fluff. The only part which I disliked was the excessively long ode to fire in one of the stories. In conclusion, it is a nice book to read when you have nothing else to read, a one-time read.
Mathieu
Le seul livre de Colette que j'ai lu. Sans doute pas le plus représentatif de sa carrière je suppose, mais cela m'avait bien plu à l'époque. Les dialogues étaient assez savoureux. Je ne pense pas relire de Colette cependant, mes goûts ont bien changer entretemps, pas sûr que j'accroche.
Maureen M
This cat-and-dog tale has some funny moments, but doesn't really develop beyond the dogs-are-from-Mars cats-are-from-Venus schtick. I have been looking for works that explain why Colette was so famous in the first half of the 20th Century. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
Alice Urchin
I basically just read this because it was written by Colette. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was entertaining and sort of cute, as far as talking animals go. The actual copy wasn't great, some textual errors and wrapping issues, but nothing horrible.
Meg
This book was given to me when I was 16...and I have started it so many times. I finally finished it. It was a clever idea...but Colette is probably not my favorite writer. The secret notes hidden between the pages were better. :)
Jane L.
I guess this was an amazing book for the time it was written. Not so much now. It's written from the point of view of the dog and cat. I wanted to read something of Colette's writing; now I see I should have chosen another volume.
Andrea Buschman
It's an interesting concept, to see the world through the minds of pets. I'm not sure what I expected from Colette, but this was unusual and entertaining.
Donna
funny little book from kindle's free collection. not quite what i was expecting, but cute read for fellow fans of talking animal stories.
Maeve
On a more generous day this would be a four. It's amusing as both a cat owner and dog lover to read a book from animal perspectives.
Gail Smith
Clever little book. You must read Toby with an Almerican or English accent and KiKi with a bored French one!!
Melissa
Unusual and entertaining , and seeming to me completely accurate based on my own pets' personality.
K.
upholstery/Normandy
Lady Nefertankh
Lady Nefertankh marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Nicole G.
Nicole G. marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Colette was the pen name of the French novelist Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette. She is best known, at least in the English-speaking world, for her novel Gigi, which provided the plot for a Lerner & Loewe musical film and stage musical.
More about Colette...
Cheri & The Last of Cheri The Vagabond The Complete Claudine The Collected Stories Gigi & The Cat