Start by marking “Once a Pirate” as Want to Read:
Once a Pirate

Once a Pirate

Once a pirate—Always her man

When Navy Lieutenant Carly Callahan is forced to bail out of her fighter jet during a freak storm, she plummets into the greatest battle of her life—two hundred years before she was born. Rescued by a pirate captain who believes she’s an heiress, she learns she’s the pawn in his plan to exact revenge against his sworn enemy. Convincing him of th
Published May 10th 2013 (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Once a Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Pirate

Kathrynn
Oct 04, 2015 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time-Travel Romance
Second Read 9-27-2015 5 Star - Favorite!

Ten years after I read this book, I re-read it and still loved it! Still one of my all-time favorites. I think the updated book cover does the book justice, too!

Both Andrew and Carly (Amanda) were wonderful together. Carly was a spitfire. "Damn woman, I never know what is going to come out of your mouth!" She was a tell-it-like-it is 21st century female and I admired her spunk. The love story was amazing! Be still my heart!

If only I could find my Andrew.
Beth F.
I didn't care for the beginning and the end was preposterous. But the middle part wasn't too bad. $20 says that in a few weeks I won't remember anything about this book.

So that's all I have to say about that.
K.
I sure did real some trash when I was a teenager. I remember hating the ending - do epilogues always have to end with the couple being deliriously happy because they have 2+ children? (Oh yeah, spoiler alert: they end up together.)
Susani
Paranormal Romance
Just returning to work after the death of her mother and loss of her unborn child, the heroine finds herself in a nasty storm and her plane crashes into the ocean. There, she's rescued and brought aboard an honest to God pirate ship. Thinking there's no way she actually traveled through time, she thinks they're all play acting-rich boys having fun. The captain informs her that she's being kidnapped and held for ransom from her betrothal a duke of England and the hero's arch enemy. Born as a ...more
Regan Walker
Well-written Time Travel Pirate Romance

I don’t typically read time travels as they are often a bit light on the historical side, but Grant has done this one well, blending the historical (a sort of pirate saga set in the late Regency era) with a modern heroine who is sophisticated in technical things and carries a modern weapon.

The story begins as F-18 Navy fighter pilot Lt. Carly Callahan, flying in weather off the coast of Spain, is forced to eject when she loses her instruments and her engin
Kerry
Sep 24, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 7, paranormal, 2004
Carly Callahan is a 21st Century Air Force pilot who is thrown back in time when her jet gets caught in a lightning storm. She is rescued by Sir Andrew Spencer, English nobleman turned pirate. Unfortunately, Andrew doesn't believe she's from the future; instead, he's convinced she's the fiance of his detested (and detestable) cousin and he abducts her for ransom and revenge. As they are chased down by the cousin, Andrew and Carly find themselves falling in love. True love fails to run smooth of ...more
Ariel
Jul 14, 2015 Ariel rated it liked it
I thought this was an ok read. It grabbed me at the beginning but I quickly got bored. The ending is what got it an extra star though. That was such a unique way to end a book. One thing that bothered me though was how Carly didn't kick Booth's butt when he was trying to sexually harass her. For someone who is a trained US pilot, I would have thought she would have done a little more than kick him in the back of the knee and run away. That was disappointing. Also, the part where she shoots the ...more
Linda
Aug 27, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was Susan Grant's debut and I could tell. I read both her books in the '2176' series and CONTACT and I enjoyed this author, so after reading this I could see how much she has improved in her writing over the years.

ONCE A PIRATE is a time-travel romance with a weak heroine who is suppose to be a fighter pilot during present times. She is the center of a bitter feud in the past between our hero, Andrew Spencer, and Richard, the Duke of Westridge. Hence, the reason she travels in time.

Besides
Tara van Beurden
Mar 08, 2011 Tara van Beurden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2010, own
Not quite Susie's best effort, but still a good read. It was a little more disjointed than the others and seemed to jump time in strange leaps and bounds, making it hard to follow the relationship developments sometimes. Having said that, I still enjoyed it. Carly and Andrew had a good chemistry, I loved the fact that he was a pirate, and the twist at the end was pretty cool. Its one of Susie's first books and shorter than a lot of the others, so I can overlook the faults. Still a good read.
Astrida
Aug 04, 2012 Astrida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Spencer sailed the seas seeking revenge for a lost title, land and riches. But he discovers the best was yet to come when he rescues a fighter pilot, Carly Callahan, after a freak storm brings down her jet. Only she's 180 years older than him. This was a great story with great characters and descriptions. The author kept the emphasis on good people and added some humor. The ending was great. The only thing I really did not like was the bad book cover.
Diane Hoover
Dec 18, 2014 Diane Hoover rated it it was amazing
Really like Andrew's character and Carly's spunk. it wasn't a perfect book and probably doesn't deserve a 5 star review, but I couldn't put it down. When I think of pirates, I'm expecting some swashbuckling adventure. This doesn't really fit in that genre . And you do have to suspend disbelief for the beginning and the end, but it's worth it for the entertainment value. Quick, fast-paced, read. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Gmc
Mar 06, 2014 Gmc rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf, reveiwed
Once A Pirate by Susan Grant

Carly Callahan on a routine mission fly's into a storm and crashes into the sea and is rescued by a pirate in 1821.

In 1821 is the Andrew Spencer illegitimate son of a Duke, and the legitimate heir is out to get him, once a knighted naval hero framed and sent to prison, now a pirate on the high seas. Their worlds collide. Will she find her way home or into his arms, or maybe both???

Kim
Apr 26, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
Time travel love story done right

This is a wonderful time travel love story. The characters where likable and the plot was great. I felt like this was how a time travel romance should be written. You really wanted the relationship to endure. The ending was even how you would want it. Well worth reading.
penelopewanders
This is actually in a bookbox - I read one other Grant which I did not like, so thought I'd check this out before sending the box on - I'll be replacing most of the books in the box, but don't think I'll want to keep this one.
Update. Indeed, this author's style does not convince me. Definitely going back in the box.
Cristina Field
Jun 04, 2016 Cristina Field rated it it was amazing
OMG! I described this book a little bit to my husband when I first started, and he said "Wow. She (the author) wrote a book specifically for you, didn't she?" Yes! As a pilot myself, I'm always looking for books with a smart amazing heroine. This one combines that with pirates, going back in time, and good romance! And boy, what a twist at the end! Can't wait to find the authors other books!
Rachel Annie
This was a great, solid, time-travel romance. Really great prose and dialog, well-thought out and exciting story, and smexy sex scenes. Her writing is detailed enough to really bring you into the setting, but it's not purple or overdone.

SuzyHD
Apr 24, 2016 SuzyHD rated it it was amazing
Outstanding 5+*

This book was interesting and was given great thought in the writing. The characters were interwoven with each other in such a way bringing them to life with each page read. Such a thought-provoking storyline with a delightful ending. I enjoyed the twist on the time travel theme. A definite keeper.
Brandi
Aug 16, 2016 Brandi rated it really liked it
Great Romance.

I enjoyed this book. It had an interesting plot and a steamy romance. The characters were very likable also. I did think the heroine was a little too soft at times especially with her interactions with one particular bad guy. Besides that, I thought it was a great story.
Jan Baldocchi
Jul 02, 2016 Jan Baldocchi rated it it was amazing
Be Still My Heart

Pirates...of all the books I just love stories of pirates -Andrew is just the best ever and Carly just deserves the very best pirate of them all. 6 stars if I only Grant 6 stars.
Emily
Jun 18, 2014 Emily rated it did not like it
It was alright... I picked it up not having a clue what I was going to be in store for. There is little adventure and it's mostly all romance. Unfortunately, near the end, I started skimming over the words and didn't end up finishing the book. It just lost my interest at that point.
Fangirl Musings
I read this book years and years ago, so a lot of the plot is missing from my mind. All I remember is that I really enjoyed the story, and the characters were very interesting!

In truth, I think this novel was one of the very first books I read when I started reading romance and/or time-travel!
Stacie
Jul 03, 2014 Stacie rated it it was ok
Carly is a military pilot who goes down in a plane crash. She is pulled from the ocean by Andrew not realizing that she has time traveled to the past. Andrew thinks that Carly is engaged to his enemy and takes her hostage. He quickly realizes that she is different.
Tam B.
Jul 30, 2015 Tam B. rated it liked it
This was a really different tale of a modern woman, back in time, kidnapped and assumed to be someone else and finding love. I was really interested in how the ending was going to be pulled off to get a HEA but the author managed it.

It was a nice read.

Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 Dawn ♥ romance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Recently discovered Susan Grant and I am enjoying her books. This is a fun time-travel book back to 1821 pirates. First time I read an ending like this one. I've enjoyed her futuristic books too. I like how she uses her Air Force and 747 pilot knowledge in her books.
vvb
Jul 10, 2011 vvb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet summertime read!
Plenty of adventure with flying, sailing, pirating, time travel, and oh yeah - romancing ;-D
Lulu Pushic
I love time travel stories and this one was fun. What's not to like about a handsome pirate? The story moved along nicely, and I really liked the ending.
Lisa DeVore
May 31, 2014 Lisa DeVore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I didn't know what to expect. Reading the blurb, I was confused. A pirate and an airplane in the same book? I LOVED the crossing between times. A fun read!
Kate
Jun 14, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Great love story

I like how the love story mixed with history of the English aristocracy. I would have liked more Naval aviation but truly enjoyed the life of the pirates.
SubterraneanCatalyst
I love Susan Grant..she always gives me the HEA *sigh* that I want. She ended this one well- it's a time travel romance which I adore. Enjoyed this fluffy book a lot!
  • My Timeswept Heart (Blackwells, #1)
  • Timeless Passion
  • Night Visitor
  • Pirates
  • The Outlaw Viking (Viking I, #2)
  • Once Upon a Pirate
  • Feather in the Wind
  • Captive
  • Passion's Ransom
  • Wings of the Storm
  • Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2)
  • The More I See You (de Piaget, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #6)
  • Perils of the Heart
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • Tell Me Lies
  • My Wicked Pirate
When NY Times/USA Today bestselling author and Air Force veteran Susan Grant isn’t driving an 18-wheeler (a 747 jumbo jet) she loves writing romantic, action-packed stories featuring gutsy woman and honorable men. Flying to exotic places and trying every kind of food imaginable helps Susan bring her sci-fi worlds alive for readers. She is a winner of the prestigious RITA award for her book ...more
More about Susan Grant...