Start by marking “CSI Miami: Heat Wave (CSI: Miami, #2)” as Want to Read:
CSI Miami: Heat Wave (CSI: Miami, #2)

CSI Miami: Heat Wave (CSI: Miami #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Lieutenant Horatio Caine leads a crack team of forensic scientists who investigate crimes amid the tropical surroundings and cultural crossroads of Miami. Together, they collect and analyze the evidence to expose the truth and to bring justice to those who often cannot speak for themselves: the victims.Crime boss Kurt Wallace was fighting to hold his vast crime empire toge ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about CSI Miami, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CSI Miami

Rob Smith
Nov 21, 2015 Rob Smith rated it liked it
The genre of choice by Collins should have him as one of my favorite writers. However, I have had a clunky time trying to embrace his novels. This one is better than some I've read, though not as good as it could be.

It's the writing that bugs me. Though the characters are mostly well drawn, the overall story is clunky. I've had similar trouble with other Collins books. It's as if he is writing sections of the story and, after it's tacked together, the seams are still showing. This is particularl
Scarlette Soto
it was a great book! I loved the suspense and the action. I also watch the CSI:las vegas series. Also CSI kinda is inspiring me to be one too. I would have to study a lot though.
Kme_17
This book is just like the television series. A fun quick read. It has a great mystery which is predicable but enjoyable read. Nothing ground breaking but enjoyable read. Would recommend for fans of the show. .
Dark-Draco
Aug 12, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-in, csi
In this story, Miami's finest CSI's are called to the scene of a drive-by shooting. The victims are highly placed within Miami's gang hierachy and their death's leave a dangerous void to fill. Horatio and the others race to find the true villains before the whole sity erupts into one big gang war. But the trail soon leads them dangerously close to one of their own.

A really good story and with characters that are written just like their TV counterparts. You could really imagine this being an epi
Sian Wadey
Heat Wave by Max Allan Collins

I'm a massive fan of CSI, even if CSI:Miami is my least favourite, so when I realised there were accompanying books I leapt at the chance. Collins knows what the characters are like and how they speak. It's evident he's researched the show. It was great reading new stories about some of my favourite characters. Overall, they're a good, easy read that require practically no imagination because you already know the people and their history.
Jonathan Gentry
Apr 24, 2015 Jonathan Gentry rated it it was amazing
Heat Wave is the second CSI Miami book and the last book to be written by Max Allan Collins. It follows the team of investigators led by Lt. Horatio Caine in an attempt to solve the murder of crime boss Kurt Wallace to prevent an all out war on the sun sizzling streets of Miami. I think that if this were an episode of the show it would have been a good two part segment, or an explosive season finale as it certainly had the fast paced thrillers to be one.
Keri ♠
Enjoyed this as a second-time read. The author definitely did his homework and really seemed to keep the book characters close to the TV series ones that this is based off of. It was also good to have Tim Speedle's character in it--probably one of the reasons I felt like a re-read (always really liked his character in the show). It had been long enough since the first time that I had forgotten the "who-dunnit" too.

(first finished on Oct 26, 2009)
Rachel
Nov 18, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: csi-books
This one was better than the first CSI Miami novel by this author, but still suffers from the same problem. The author gives way too much detail to things that don't need that much detail. Knowing which street H turned down to get to a crime scene or how many turns he had to take just wasn't necessary.
Charlene
Dec 05, 2012 Charlene rated it it was amazing
This was where it all started. Of course I'm talking about my obsession with the CSIs. Picked this book up at school library for something to kill time, yet this hooked me to all the books available on CSI, then I move on to the tv shows, which I now watch religiously. Awesome read.
Chi Dubinski
Nov 12, 2013 Chi Dubinski rated it liked it
Crime boss Kurt Wallace is murdered, and rival interests move in to take over their share of the criminal underground. Lt. Horatio Crane and his team investigate, looking for a motive and a suspect. There are plenty of both. For fans of the tv series.
Jennifer Wardrip
One of my favorite CSI: MIAMI reads! When the leaders of a number of gangs in Miami start dying, it's up to Horatio and the CSI crew to figure out who's behind the deaths -- and the answer will surprise you! Another great, quick CSI read.
Nicole
May 03, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
My favorite show, ever!!... The book was okay- i didn't like the way the characters were described but i already had a clear description from watching the actual show for 2 1/2 years...
Brooke Plitnick
Dec 04, 2012 Brooke Plitnick rated it really liked it
This book was great. I enjoyed how the dectectives solve the mistery! I watch the CSI heat wave episode at home and the book was so much better because it went into depth on the crime.
Arlene
Apr 18, 2012 Arlene rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
Much the same....writing not fantastic, but the characterization makes up for it. Another good "I don't want to think" book.
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Shweta Agrawal
Shweta Agrawal marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Brenna Seale
Brenna Seale rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Ilana Halupovich
Ilana Halupovich marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
SensBaby21
SensBaby21 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Roanne Olsen
Roanne Olsen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jacky
Jacky rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Vesper
Vesper rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Regina Dyer
Regina Dyer rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
  • Riptide (CSI: Miami, Book 4)
  • Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1)
  • Right to Die (CSI: Miami, #8)
  • Four Walls (CSI: New York, #4)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #9)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Courage of Fear
  • Antiques Fruitcake (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery)
  • The Goliath Bone
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...

CSI: Miami (8 books)
  • Florida Getaway (CSI: Miami, #1)
  • Cult Following (CSI: Miami, Book 3)
  • Riptide (CSI: Miami, Book 4)
  • Misgivings (CSI: Miami, Book 5) (Harm for the Holidays, Part I)
  • Heart Attack (CSI: Miami, Book 6) (Harm for the Holidays, Part II)
  • Cut and Run (CSI: Miami, Book 7)
  • Right to Die (CSI: Miami, #8)