Start by marking “Contract” as Want to Read:
Contract

Contract

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In this original novel by a Marvel comic writer, life becomes complicated when the dead won't stay dead

Michael Point doesn't seem anything special. He dresses conservatively, is thoughtful, methodical, and well-spoken. He also happens to kill people for a living. It's not about getting back at the world; for Michael it's much simpler than that—it's all about the money. But
Published October 1st 2007 by Headline Book Publishing (first published May 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Contract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contract

Steve
Jan 21, 2009 Steve rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Bear with me here. This is a story about Michael Point, aged 28. He is a hit man. As the principal narrator of the tale he is very irritating, doesn’t seem to be able to stick to the point and keep uses the stock phrases over and over. So irritating in fact that more than once I nearly threw the book across the room. However, the story develops. Is he really involved in some sort of divine battle or is he just nuts? Not is all is answered, in fact little is; but it is interesting. I can’t really ...more
Guy Haley
Nov 25, 2015 Guy Haley rated it liked it
As the hero of Contract says, pieces of paper can be very important. In his case, it’s the contract he signs, in Spurrier’s case, it’s that on which his stream-of-consciousness novel is printed.

Spurrier’s worked for years as a writer for 2000AD, and has also had a handful of 2000AD and Warhammer 40,000 spin-off novels published. Ask his colleagues about him and they say nice things. It’s not then altogether surprising that this book’s not bad at all.

Mike Point is a hit-man, a pretty good one, wh
Jun 11, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-book
This book was very poorly written. It's very roughly written and gritty..It needs to be picked apart and redone but it won't. I'm never one to give up on a book..I usually force myself to even keep reading a book I don't like but I gave it 40 pages and it's not getting any better, I'm not going to give it my usual 100 pages before I make up my mind, I can't waste anymore time of this pile of crap.

Yes, my review is very harsh but it's just like the book..Harsh!
Matt
Nov 05, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, supernatural, crime
Imagine a rather self-absorbed know-all with ADD. Imagine listening to this guy rant and ramble for the length of time it would take you to read approximately 400 pages. This is Michael Point, hitman. The book Contract is about marks coming back to life and a struggle between good and evil. Or possibly just plain old insanity. Who knows, really?

I have to admit, I read the first page and I thought to myself "The whole book isn't going to be written like this, is it?" Honestly, I know people who t
Tom
Dec 24, 2007 Tom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tarantino fans...maybe
I originally got this book in 'proof' or 'early reading copy' form from my Dad, who works at a bookshop - he passed on the book after reading a couple of chapters, finding it to much effort to struggle through the often rather obtuse and pretentious (in the true meaning of the word - thinking you are more clever than you actually are) descriptions of divine internvention, does God exist? Is it right to kill people? Life, the universe, and everything, etc., etc.

This may surprise you from the prec
Pickle
Feb 04, 2013 Pickle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This book is written in the first person perspective which i quite like in books.

The writing of this book really gives Michael Point a voice and a character not a very deep one but it works for the story(crazy would sum him up). I think this still beats having the main character functioning as nothing more then a camera with hands which is relatively common in First Person novels.

I completely understand people having trouble reading this the main character is full of
Samantha
May 10, 2014 Samantha rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed by this book. It definitely had some interesting concepts and ideas but they didn't seem all that fleshed out. It was very well researched and the writing quality was good. But the constant repetition and the endlessly grating, rant of a narrative really did not endear me to it. I started off interested in Michael Point but quickly wanted him to shut up and Get To The Point.

The ending whilst answering some questions led on to larger questions which are left to the reader
Rich Cresswell
Oct 16, 2009 Rich Cresswell rated it it was ok
So, you take a story about a hitman going insane or becoming involved in a divine conflict between good and evil, make it all ambiguous, and utterly rip off Chuck Palahniuk's writing style. That's kind of it. Some interesting observations, but it lacks Palahniuk's subtlety and grace. I made it through it, was entertained, but won't be looking for anything more from Simon Spurrier.
Samantha Davenport
Jan 05, 2014 Samantha Davenport rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great fun. Crime and the occult with most excellent pacing. Think Angel Heart meets Glen Duncan. I know the author does mostly comics but I hope he decides to do more novels because he's good at it--his other one was also very good and had an awesome trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOuV...
Paul
Aug 25, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
The literary equivalent of Pulp Fiction. With walking corpses. Dark, violent and very funny, the book is smartly plotted with a superbly unreliable protagonist who manages to maintain a sense of uncertainty, right up to the end, as to what is really going on.
Tasha
Apr 07, 2012 Tasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered that one of my favorite comic book writers also writes novels. It has awful reviews, but I am excited anyway.

I liked the ending. Gave it an extra star because the ending really pulled it together.
Jacqui
Memorable Quotes
No memorable quotes.
Lisa Campbell
Apr 22, 2012 Lisa Campbell rated it it was ok
Ending sucked
Ian Jones
Ian Jones rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Laura Wesley
Laura Wesley marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
MadsM
MadsM rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Daniel Ashby
Daniel Ashby marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Big_Daddy50
Big_Daddy50 marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Andrew Cox
Andrew Cox rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Rebecca Deaton
Rebecca Deaton marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Kurt
Kurt rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Joseph Garcia
Joseph Garcia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Colten
Colten marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Rik Cooper
Rik Cooper rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Vaughan
Vaughan rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015