Start by marking “Shadow of Doubt” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Doubt

Shadow of Doubt (Charley Sloan #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Eager to regain lost prestige, suspended and nearly disbarred attorney Charley Sloane agrees to defend a former lover's stepdaughter, charged with murdering her wealthy father, despite the fact that she has already confessed to authorities.
Published September 2nd 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Doubt

Connie  Kuntz
Jan 09, 2010 Connie Kuntz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, people who remember the 1990's
Recommended to Connie by: My Mama
Shadow of a Doubt was written by a 61 year old man in 1991. In other words, this book was written in the era of fingerprints and answering machines, not DNA and cell phones. It was written in an era of nosey book writers, not the (current) era of of bloggers and electronic newsfeeds. It was written several years before the O.J. Simpson "trial of the century", before "acquit" was a common word and before corruption became as publicly disgustingly sophisticated as it is today (e.g. Enron, Hallibur ...more
Susan
I've had three Couglin used paperbacks on my shelf for a long time now. I can't remember where/when/why I got them nor why I'd never read any of them... So looking for my next read, I snagged the first one. They are legal mysteries and this one started off slowly but at about the point where I usually make the decision to keep reading or toss, I realized he had me hooked. Charley Sloan is a washed up attorney who's career was tanked by alcoholism... He's hired for a huge case and starts to muddl ...more
Stephanie
I read this book back in the summer of 2003. I really liked it and want to read more from the author.
Violet
Great read, well written with an ending you won't see coming!
Lois Duncan
If you enjoy courtroom dramas, (which I do), this is a good one.

Two negatives: (1) It was written in 1991, so is very out of date in terms of technology. Not the author's fault, of course. But it dates the book tremendously. (2) I anticipated the "surprise ending" by the time I was a third way into the story. I kept reading anyway, in the hopes that I might be wrong and there would be a sudden unexpected twist. There wasn't.

Still, I enjoyed the book.
Rhod
New author to me. He has woven a pretty tense story about a young girl accused of murdering her father. Fair amount of intrigue and bad guys. To add another dimension, the chap hired to defend her is a recovering alcoholic.
Frank
I thought it was a decent read. For me, it was pretty predictable, but still a good story. I read it just for fun and I don't regret it. :D
Emily
Have never read any of the Charley Sloan mysteries but was pleasantly surprise how I could not but the book down.
Leeann
Was ok. Kept me reading to see if my guess at the motive and villain were right.
Jackie
A decent courtroom drama. It was compelling enough that I read it straight through.
Linda
Slow, boring. Borrowed from Marilyn
Julie

Fun read!
Surprise ending.
Anne Hagan
Anne Hagan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jody Pulcheon
Jody Pulcheon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Renate
Renate marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Karen Coughlin
Karen Coughlin marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Donna Schmitt
Donna Schmitt marked it as to-read
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Vickie
Vickie added it
Mar 22, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Murder at Union Station (Capital Crimes, #20)
  • In the Shadow of the Law: A Novel
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Laguna Heat
  • The Simeon Chamber
  • The Outside Man
  • Canapes for the Kitties
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...

Charley Sloan (5 books)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)
  • The Court
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)
Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2) In The Presence of Enemies Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5) The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3) The Stalking Man