Start by marking “The Stalking Man” as Want to Read:
The Stalking Man

The Stalking Man

In a twisted trail of blood, he spelled out his name, The Stalking Man, hunting women in cities across the country the way his father had once taught him to hunt deer. He loved the moment of terror frozen on their faces when the all-too-horrifying realization would hit them-they were going to die a death more violent and ghastly than their worst nightmares...

They had caugh
Published January 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Stalking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stalking Man

Linda Strong
Oct 30, 2016 Linda Strong rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2016
Edward Teague, also known as the Stalking Man, is back! After being found guilty by reason of insanity for killing innumerous women, he was sentenced to a hospital for the criminally insane under the care of Dr. Rose.

When a series of brutal deaths of young women appear across the Midwest, Lieutenant Anthony Russo's first thoughts go to the Stalking Man, the man Russo had hunted down and brought to justice. Still angry at the defense attorney, Thomas Knapp, for keeping his client out of prison, h
Barbara Nivens
Aug 04, 2016 Barbara Nivens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good

One of the best books I've read in awhile. Good, very likable characters that I would have liked to seen again.
Edward Weiss
Mar 10, 2016 Edward Weiss rated it liked it
Even 3-stars is probably to much for this mediocre book, but worse less than a mediocre story.

As the story unfolded, and as the characters were presented, my constant thought was "So what?"

If there ever was a nothing there there this novel is where it is to be found!

Who cares about a serial killer who is barely introduced?

Who cares about a homicide detective the reader barely gets to know?

Who cares about a lawyer the reader gets to know even less?

The interaction between the detective and hid new
lenora crenshaw
Sep 16, 2016 lenora crenshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real thriller

Again the author has written a thriller that you can not put down. You are unwilling to put it down even to eat
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 09, 2016 Elaine Tomasso rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Endeavour Press for a review copy of The Stalking Man, a police procedural originally published in 1979.

Lieutenant Tony Russo captured a serial killer, known as The Stalking Man, only to see him sent to a psychiatric facility for the criminally insane. A recent spree of grisly killings reminds him of The Stalking Man's M.O. but as the crimes are spread throughout the Midwest, none come under his jurisdiction and The Stalking Man is under lock and key in a secu
Ionia
Aug 03, 2016 Ionia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good example of why I love to read thrillers. It was actually...thrilling. I know, I know. Duh. But really, lately I have felt let down by crime fiction and thrillers in general. So many books start out great and then just fizzle out into a long drama of procedural explanations. This one, I am pleased to say, did not do that.

If you are the type of person that likes mysteries that are hard to solve, murders that are creative and happens to possess a strong stomach, this boo
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Some of Coughlin's earlier books are being reissued and this is one I hadn't read. Lieutenant Anthony Russo's long career included the successful capture of a serial killer years ago. Edward Teague got an insanity defense and was committed to a mental hospital. But, now he's out but few know it. Russo has to start from scratch and the bodies are piling up. This is a well written, engaging thriller.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Great thriller

Too bad that the automatic spell check was not followed by editors. The story was enthralling and kept you involved, however the many words that were spelled wrong, but same sound was disturbing.
Trina
Jul 10, 2016 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

A fairly good read. There were a few things that should have been cleared up that weren't. We never learn exactly what went on with Teague's mother. The ending could have more fleshed out. Overall a passable read.
Martha Brindley
Jul 02, 2016 Martha Brindley rated it really liked it
A good read about a detective and a serial killer. A bit predictable but still an excellent story. Perhaps a bit too much violence for some people. I read it in one sitting. Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Karen
Jul 07, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
So well written. Again, the biggest problem I had with the book was the numerous typos. It must have something to do with translation from printed book to digital output. I don't know. But I can't give it four and a half stars, so I went with five.
Marci Kimball
Nov 06, 2016 Marci Kimball rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God! Review this piece of crap book???

This was, without doubt, the worst piece of vote & drivel I have EVER made myself finish!!! Author???? My ass!!! Story???? No story! Nothing but murder & mayhem on every stinking page!!! What a bummer read this was!!!! Disgusting!

Neil
Aug 18, 2016 Neil rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a fairly predictable thriller.
Although I finished it I have to say it was fairly far fetched.
I could not relate to the characters so was not really bothered with the ending or what happened to them.
Michele Andre
Oct 07, 2016 Michele Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this authors style of writing. I only have one complaint....it is so poorly edited that it really detracts from the stories. All three of his books I have read are full of typos and mistakes. What's going on here?
Rhod
Jul 26, 2011 Rhod rated it liked it
Not for everyone because of the violence, but Coughlin weaves a tale that is hard to put down.
Benjamin Smith
Nov 10, 2011 Benjamin Smith rated it liked it
Pretty good serial killer vs ace detective book. Somewhat predictable, but entertaining.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
After killing many women, a psychopath is determined insane and sent to an asylum. What happens when he is released is horrifying and one detective knows who is it. No-one believes him 26
G
Sep 04, 2012 G rated it really liked it
Excellent story. A serial killer released from the Hospital for the Criminally Insane is up to his old tricks.
Mark Zodda
I always liked books by William J. Coughlin and picked this up on sale. While mostly a good read, it hasn't held up well over the 20+ years since it was published.
Brian Leclair
Nov 14, 2014 Brian Leclair rated it really liked it
solid and interesting story....with a little bit of discussion on the issue of insanity.
Kit★
Mar 19, 2014 Kit★ marked it as to-read
This was among a box of books given to me. Will try it someday.
Joe O'c
Aug 28, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; serial killer spells out his name using cities where he kills people, then goes after lawyer and cop who previously put him away.
clm
Jan 28, 2017 clm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grislier than most Coughlin

This one would make a wonderful episode of Criminal Minds. Some of the ending scenes require a major suspension of disbelief, but that's ok.
pcb
Feb 22, 2009 pcb rated it liked it
I normally enjoy Coughlin's books. I read Death Penalty and The Stalking Man back-to-back and both had a few errors. Ex: lunch when it should have been hunch.
Lauren deFreitas
Lauren deFreitas rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2017
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Elizabeth P. Pijar
Elizabeth P. Pijar rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Virginia Hickey
Virginia Hickey rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Ken Smith
Ken Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...