Start by marking “Stories to Solve” as Want to Read:
Stories to Solve

Stories to Solve

How can a thirsty crow drink from an almost-empty pitcher? How does arresting a stone help a judge find a boy's stolen money? This artfully illustrated book presents fourteen intriguing mysteries from world folklore. Each brain-teasing tale is followed by a simple explanation of the solution, while notes at the back of the book describe the origins of these classic mysteri ...more
Published May 3rd 2000 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Stories to Solve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories to Solve

Chak
Oct 11, 2008 Chak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid, science-and-math
Mind-exercise for 6-10 year olds. Toby was a little too young for this book, but I think he got at least an introduction to some analytic thinking principles from this.

Here is a great example of a "story to solve." It's story #1 - "Fishing" - One fine summer day two fathers and two sons went fishing at their favorite lake. They fished and talked all morning long and by noon everyone had caught one fish. As the two fathers and two sons walked back home, everyone was happy because each had a fish
Paul  Hankins
Short stories from multiple cultures make this title a "can't miss" within the learning community, particularly with the new focus on reading, thinking, and listening critically. Noah and Maddie love to tell and to hear these kinds of stories that invite the reader/listener to figure out, "how did they do that?" I can see lead learners using one story a day as a bell ringer or as a kick off to the day's activities. This is probably better done with sticky notes or as a thought capture as some ch ...more
Christina
Jun 24, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
Fun brain teaser-type fables -- some of them were tricky enough I didn't come up with the answer, some were easy enough for my 5-year-old to figure out. A very satisfying bedtime read for both of us. He now wants to borrow More Stories to Solve from the library.
Tracy
May 26, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
These mysteries/puzzles collected from folktales from around the world are short, fun, and the answer is on the following page if you get stumped! Great for a car ride or to entertain different ages, 2nd grade thru great-grandparents and everyone in between!
Carrie
Nov 26, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is a great book! I only got 8 of the 14 puzzles right. How sad! My brain needs more exercise! I will read (and probably fail)the sequels. :)
Alison Durbin
This book was a blast to read. That may sound weird at first, but I am someone who loves problem solving and mysteries. This book challenged my problem solving skills, and I became excited when I was able to solve them. I loved how the book gave the reader an explanation with every tale, and the explanations were easy to understand. I think this would be a fun book to share with students, and it can be a great way to push their critical thinking skills.
The Styling Librarian
Feb 19, 2015 The Styling Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, folktales
Really like both of these books because they are quick, entertaining and good brain teasers.
Kokeshi
Apr 07, 2016 Kokeshi rated it it was amazing
Delightful. Children 10+ years old will love this book.
Angelina
Jun 22, 2014 Angelina rated it it was amazing
I like this book but I don't know how to download it
Laura Verret
Here's an example of one of the stories:

'One fine summer day two fathers and two sons went fishing at their favorite lake. They fished and talked all morning long and by noon everyone had caught one fish. As the two fathers and two sons walked back home, everyone was happy because each had a fish even though only three fish had been caught.

Two fathers and two sons. Only three fish and no fish were lost. How can this have happened?'

How indeed? :)
Robert Ellington
Jul 05, 2015 Robert Ellington rated it really liked it
Lots of good stories to share with kids as puzzles.
Kelly
Apr 14, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very fun. can be used in lessons on critical thinking, detectives, mysteries, etc. loved it.
Adam
Sep 14, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
A nice and clever short set of stories. However, if you had read this before, you will know the answers, which this happened to me. Even through this, I still had lots of fun guessing how they did the riddles-with wisdom, perhaps.
Jenny
Jun 03, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book to read and talk about with children! My third graders loved it and couldn't wait for the next story!
Jana
Jun 30, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it
Fantastic in-class read aloud. Short mysteries and puzzles from many cultures - the kids love them.
Simon
Jan 13, 2008 Simon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents to kids.
Great stories for parents to read to kids.

Makes you think. Well written and interesting stories. Classic.
Maggie
May 14, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
summer's coming -- get those riddles ready for car trips. this book can help grandparents look smart.
Ruth
Nov 12, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
These stories were great and a hit with the group that I read it to at the nursing home I visit.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book to read aloud to students.
Stacey
May 14, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and clever brain teasers I enjoyed as a kid.
Monica
Fun to read with the children.
Lauren
May 22, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!
Erika
May 30, 2011 Erika marked it as to-read
for J&J
Camille Tesch
Camille Tesch marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Ginta
Ginta added it
Sep 10, 2016
Rita Brannon
Rita Brannon rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Vander
Vander rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Oliven
Oliven rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
  • The Emperor and the Kite
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow