Start by marking “Stories to Solve” as Want to Read:
Stories to Solve

Stories to Solve

How can a thirsty crow drink from an almost-empty pitcher? How does arresting a stone help a judge find a boy's stolen money? This artfully illustrated book presents fourteen intriguing mysteries from world folklore. Each brain-teasing tale is followed by a simple explanation of the solution, while notes at the back of the book describe the origins of these classic ...more
Published May 3rd 2000 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Stories to Solve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories to Solve

Chak
Oct 11, 2008 Chak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid, science-and-math
Mind-exercise for 6-10 year olds. Toby was a little too young for this book, but I think he got at least an introduction to some analytic thinking principles from this.

Here is a great example of a "story to solve." It's story #1 - "Fishing" - One fine summer day two fathers and two sons went fishing at their favorite lake. They fished and talked all morning long and by noon everyone had caught one fish. As the two fathers and two sons walked back home, everyone was happy because each had a fish
Paul  Hankins
Short stories from multiple cultures make this title a "can't miss" within the learning community, particularly with the new focus on reading, thinking, and listening critically. Noah and Maddie love to tell and to hear these kinds of stories that invite the reader/listener to figure out, "how did they do that?" I can see lead learners using one story a day as a bell ringer or as a kick off to the day's activities. This is probably better done with sticky notes or as a thought capture as some ...more
Tracy
May 26, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
These mysteries/puzzles collected from folktales from around the world are short, fun, and the answer is on the following page if you get stumped! Great for a car ride or to entertain different ages, 2nd grade thru great-grandparents and everyone in between!
Christina
Jun 24, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
Fun brain teaser-type fables -- some of them were tricky enough I didn't come up with the answer, some were easy enough for my 5-year-old to figure out. A very satisfying bedtime read for both of us. He now wants to borrow More Stories to Solve from the library.
Carrie
Nov 26, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is a great book! I only got 8 of the 14 puzzles right. How sad! My brain needs more exercise! I will read (and probably fail)the sequels. :)
Alison Durbin
This book was a blast to read. That may sound weird at first, but I am someone who loves problem solving and mysteries. This book challenged my problem solving skills, and I became excited when I was able to solve them. I loved how the book gave the reader an explanation with every tale, and the explanations were easy to understand. I think this would be a fun book to share with students, and it can be a great way to push their critical thinking skills.
Laura Verret
Here's an example of one of the stories:

'One fine summer day two fathers and two sons went fishing at their favorite lake. They fished and talked all morning long and by noon everyone had caught one fish. As the two fathers and two sons walked back home, everyone was happy because each had a fish even though only three fish had been caught.

Two fathers and two sons. Only three fish and no fish were lost. How can this have happened?'

How indeed? :)
Adam
Sep 14, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
A nice and clever short set of stories. However, if you had read this before, you will know the answers, which this happened to me. Even through this, I still had lots of fun guessing how they did the riddles-with wisdom, perhaps.
Jana
Jun 30, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it
Fantastic in-class read aloud. Short mysteries and puzzles from many cultures - the kids love them.
Maggie
May 14, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
summer's coming -- get those riddles ready for car trips. this book can help grandparents look smart.
Simon
Jan 13, 2008 Simon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents to kids.
Great stories for parents to read to kids.

Makes you think. Well written and interesting stories. Classic.
Jenny
Jun 03, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book to read and talk about with children! My third graders loved it and couldn't wait for the next story!
Angelina
Jun 22, 2014 Angelina rated it it was amazing
I like this book but I don't know how to download it
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Barker English
Barker English rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Jane Huber
Jane Huber rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
SaraJane
SaraJane rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Cora Kertzman
Cora Kertzman rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book to read aloud to students.
Chloe Sanders
Chloe Sanders rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Suzanne Jordan
Suzanne Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Noelle
Noelle rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Stacia
Stacia rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Emperor and the Kite
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
  • Gandhi
  • How Fletcher Was Hatched
  • The Blacker the Berry (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
  • How Chipmunk Got His Stripes