One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China

One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Companies from around the globe are flocking to China to buy, sell, manufacture, and create new products, but as former Wall Street Journal China bureau chief turned successful corporate executive James McGregor explains, business in China is never quite what it seems. One Billion Customers offers compelling narratives of personalities, business deals, and lessons learned,...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Free Press (first published October 1st 2005)

Microease
读《十亿消费者》
上周,我终于读完了由James McGregor 先生写的《One Billion Customers》,译言的网友乱翻书翻译的版本《十亿消费者》,这本书的确是当代经济学领域,政治学领域的一本好书,如果你有志向在中国开创一个公司或者你的业务要和中国政府等机构打交道,一定要读读这本书。另外,作者还推荐了《中国人的谈判风格》这本书,有空我要读读。

本书的原作者,詹姆斯·麦格雷戈是一位美国作家,他曾经在中国做记者和商业活动长达二十年,所做的贡献在中国政治,经济,新闻等领域很大,是位值得尊敬的人物,另外值得高兴的是,这位令人尊敬的先生允许译者乱翻书公开他的译作,并不收取任何版权相关的费用,他也是一个自由主义的人。

除了这些身份,作者的一些论点,观点也很值得一提,他的一些话也相当经典,例如:

中国的一个基于羞耻感的社会

如果你曾经因为中国人恶待外国人、或外国人恶待中国人而沮丧,那么想想这个也许能得到些许安慰:中国人对中国人更恶。

在书中,他通过中国政治领域高层对一些事情的判断,描写了中国政府,商业上的一些内幕,他看中国看的很清楚,很难想象这竟然是一位美国人。

我觉得这是一部经济...more
Mark
I met the author in person and he's a very interesting individual who has some very good perspectives on the dynamics of China business. His book is written in a "case-study" format: each chapter is a story about a company and how it went well or horribly wrong. There is a bullet point summary at the end of each chapter summarizing all the chapter's insights. Very good reference for international executives who work and/or negotiate with Chinese business and government leaders on a regular basis...more
Ashley Lauren
I think James McGregor did an absolutely fantastic job in writing this book. As a novice to the Chinese system, I found his assessments both level-headed and helpful. I found his stories extremely engaging and continually as I was reading it, I found myself showing the cover to my roommates and saying, "This book is phenominal." I believe that this is a good read for anyone - I have no intentions of getting into business with China - at least not anytime soon - but even in the act of travelling...more
Brigham
Decent book, lots of case studies. Unfortunately, it tries a bit to hard to boil the business mind down and oftentimes the metaphors are ridiculous. "Chinese business is like a dumpling..."

What this author tries so hard to do is find a root cause, something central to the Chinese business mind. Unfortunately, the Chinese like all societies work on a number of co-existing contradictions that can't ever make perfect sense and may vary from one person to another. Still, for anyone frustrated with h...more
Tommy Tong
Awesome, informative and essential. McGregor is an outstanding author and expert in his field.
Joon
Jul 26, 2007 Joon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Art
This was probably the best book on China I've read so far. It may have been because it was the first book on China economics I read, but I don't think so. It was interesting, well written, contained lots of great insights, and very informative. It is 2 years old and on the China timescale that may make it outdated, but I would still definitely recommend it to anyone about to move to China or interested in the economics over here.
Lis
Sep 05, 2007 Lis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: business students
Repeatedly mentioned corruption as part of doing business in China, like other business books on China. It talks about China as a market and not just a factory, unlike many other business books on China.

I had to read books on the subject for business school. It's not something I really enjoy reading about, so my star rating is not truly fair.
Eveline Chao
Old (in lightning-fast China time, anyway) but great. Felt like reading a collection of quick, entertaining Harvard Business School case studies, but about companies in China. McGregor's palpable glee when he recounts the standoff between Reuters/Dow Jones and Xinhua, which he was directly involved in, was especially fun to read.
Jamie
Facts, facts, facts! I learned a lot about the backgrounds of some of the major players in the up and coming economic war. Although I did not agree with everything the author talks about, nor did I agree with the numerous spelling mistakes, this pretty much sums it up.
Readortoread
a great book to learn about contemprary China. Not only about the Chinese business culture, but also about its history, its ideology and its people. The author's understanding of today's China is profound and accurate. Thumbs up!
Winstonsc
Looks like an interesting book in the beginning but then it starts repeating itself from chapter to chapter. Half of the book would've been enough to understand the main idea.
Stefan Martiyan
Read because I thought I might be doing business in China, which I haven't as of yet, but essential for any Westerner taking the risk of doing so.
Sam
Broad perspective blended with case analysis, delivered in an entertaining manner, painted an accurate picture of how business is conducted in China.
Richard
Good summary of the experiences of people doing business in China.
Yotam Gutman
Incredible insight into China and its business culture.
Jdavidzapata
Apr 14, 2009 Jdavidzapata is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
China could be the next frontier to focus on
Kelly Xu
很有意思的一本书,从外国人的视角看待中国人的商业习惯,也许是旁观者清吧,对自我反思也是很有益处的
Adam
A little too generic, but a fun read
Wangqi060934
凤凰卫视,电信/联通/小灵通,赖昌星等等,对普通百姓而言都是熟悉而又陌生的。
Neal
Do business in China!
Dave
Facinating read
Mark Vrijmoed
Mark Vrijmoed marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Akshay
Akshay added it
Apr 16, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
  • Mr. China: A Memoir
  • China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future -- and the Challenge for America
  • The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
  • The Party: The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers
  • Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China
  • Restless Empire: China and the World Since 1750
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Red Capitalism: The Fragile Financial Foundation of China's Extraordinary Rise
  • When A Billion Chinese Jump: How China Will Save Mankind    Or Destroy It
  • God's Chinese Son: The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom of Hong Xiuquan
  • China, Inc.: How the Rise of the Next Superpower Challenges America and the World
  • Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China
  • How Asia Works: Success and Failure in the World's Most Dynamic Region
  • China: Portrait of a People
  • Out of Mao's Shadow: The Struggle for the Soul of a New China
  • China: A New History
  • The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories, China from the Bottom Up
  • The Dragon's Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa
No Ancient Wisdom, No Followers: The Challenges of Chinese Authoritarian Capitalism One Billion Customers A Local's Guide to Edinburgh in Scotland God's Fossils Inside China