Start by marking “Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman” as Want to Read:
Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman

Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman (St. Leibowitz #2)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Publisher: Orbit Date of Publication: 1997 Binding: hard back Edition: Condition: Good/Good Description: 1857230132 Ex Library ffp missing, pages yellowing around edges, corners bumped
Published September 4th 1997 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman

Bryn Hammond
Hard to rate, even when I discount the last hundred or so pages written by another hand. If I also posit that Walter M. Miller (rest in peace) left an unfinished book behind him, whose first four-five hundred pages still needed his hand – and if I don’t blame the book for that – then it’s a definite four stars. It was very interesting to follow Miller to this, forty years later, which I did out of curiosity and respect for the writer who gave us Canticle. This one seemed to me a case of half-rea ...more
DROPPING OUT
This book is nowhere as bad as some have made it out to be, and, indeed, had the original Canticle for Leibowitz not been written, this book standing alone might have established Miller's reputation.

Miller's "problem" was that he hit a grand-slam home-run in Canticle, and he spent the remainder of what must have been a sad and frustrating life trying to get out from under Canticle's shadow. For a long time the prevailing view was that he had given up writing altogether. But the truth was that he
Jason
Walter M. Miller committed suicide before completing his sequel to his only other novel, A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ. Terry Bisson was hired to edit and finish the book from Miller's outline. That hybrid became SAINT LEIBOWITZ AND THE WILD HORSE WOMAN.
This novel is more of a 'midquel', rather than sequel, because its events take place 80 years after CANTICLE's part two, called "Fiat Lux" (c. 3254 AD, and 600 years before CANTICLE's part three.
SAINT LEIBOWITZ reminded me very much of Herbert's DUNE.
Jon
Jun 29, 2007 Jon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Miller fans only
The sequel to A Canticle for Liebowitz was thirty years in the making, but unfortunately, Miller seems to have forgotten how to write a novel in those decades. Many of the moral and ethical arguments that made Canticle so brilliant are still present, as is the occasional bit of dry humor, but these are overshadowed by long and drug-out passages, poor plotting, and a conclusion that seems to have been hastily written the night before the book went to press (the "Wild Horse Woman" from the title, ...more
Doreen
Jul 07, 2008 Doreen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants an intellectually, emotionally stimulating sci-fi novel
Oddly enough, I seem to be one of the few people here who enjoyed the sequel much more than its predecessor. I found A Canticle... devoid of much of the human suffering that pervades this book, which questions the conflict between faith and tradition, desire and happiness, and what it means to be a good human being. SLatWHW tackles some heavy moral issues of how best to synthesize your emotions with your scruples in order to lead a godly life, and admits that self-sacrifice, though good for your ...more
Mike
Miller's first (and only other) novel, A Canticle for Liebowitz, is rightly regarded as classic. This posthumously published sequel is, in my opinion, just as good as the first (a minority view, I think). The story takes place around the same time as the second part of Canticle, and is an engrossing story with vivid characters. The symbolism and themes are often similar to Canticle's, with similar pessimism & dark humor, but Miller meanders into eastern mysticism too, and we even see heroism ...more
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Story of two men, simply monk and noble (charismatic) arcibishop, later pope, from future middle-age-like (plus in some aspects renaissance-like and 19. century-like)world about finding way to God, love and hapiness.
I thought for first time about dogmatica and spiritual confussion in middle age. It must be terrible! I feel so sorry for the poor people...
But, all this is so interesting! Very good book.
And there are some gay stories, too :o), some nice, some cruel ones: poor sweet (gay young unha
Erik Graff
Sep 13, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miller fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I'd read Miller's A Canticle for Liebowitz as a kid. Post-holocaust novels were quite popular then when the threat of global thermonuclear war was much discussed. Unlike most other such books, Canticle was touching, wryly amusing, even hopeful. Civilization had not quite collapsed and the Church, as in the Dark Ages, maintained fragments of culture and learning.

This book was intended as a sequel, being set many years after its predecessor. Unfortunately, Miller did not live to see it through to
Martin Moleski
I loved Canticle for Liebowitz when I was younger--I read it three or four times.

I was shocked and saddened when I heard that the author committed suicide. I've never used the book in my courses as a consequence.

Some day, I hope to stumble across the sequel and see how it goes.

May God have mercy on Walter. May his soul and the souls of all of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Heather Selig
It was a bit of a slog. There were too many characters with multiple and similar-sounding names for me to keep them straight. I'm not sure what the point of the book was..? Maybe that no one wins in war?
loupgarous
The last novel written by Walter M. Miller before his death in the 1970s (with considerable posthumous rework by science-fiction author Terry Bisson at the Miller family's request), Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman is a sequel to Miller's classic postapocalyptic novel A Canticle for Leibowitz.

This time, the action all happens within the lifespan of Brother Blacktooth "Nimmy" St. George of the Abbey of Saint Leibowitz, a hundred years after the action in the "Fiat Homo" chapter of A Canti
Isil
Le terme « arborescence » utilisé sur la quatrième de couverture est juste puisque l’histoire du roman se déroule soixante-dix ans après le séjour de Thor Thaddeo, le savant de Hannegan City, à l’abbaye de Leibowitz dans « Un cantique pour Leibowitz ».
« L’héritage de Saint Leibowitz » est d’une structure plus classique que le précédent. Ici on suit un personnage tout au long du roman. Je trouve que le titre anglais (Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman) est plus parlant lorsqu’on lit le rom
Perry Whitford
What the hell happened to Walter M Miller? In the late 1950s he produced one of the kite-marks of "literary" post-apocolyptic science fiction, A Canticle for Leibowitz, after being a fairly consistent writer of short-stories since the start of that decade; and then precisely nothing until this follow-up novel 40 years later - and this was only published after he blew his own brains out with a gun and an editor whittled down a sprawling 600 page manuscript by a third.

I had previously read Canticl
Myriad
My reaction in one sentence: What the eff was the point?

There’s a problem if I finish reading your book and I have no idea why you wrote it. And I honestly have no idea why Miller wrote this. What did he think he was discussing? Did he think he actually made some kind of point?

I wanted this to be good; it started out with so much potential. Since the main characters are primarily Nomads who have chosen service to the Church, I figured there would be a great exploration of the tension between a
Bernard
I struggled with this book, an 'interquel' to Miller's previous novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz. The middle third of this mature-themed novel was difficult reading but I am satisfied to have finished it. At first I couldn't figure out what the book was supposed to be about. Then I realized it was really about one man, Brother Blacktooth "Nimmy" St. George, born a nomad but who joined the monks at the St. Leibowitz Abbey in the Southwest desert, but who through all his life struggled to find a ba ...more
William Cline
It’s a shame that Miller didn’t finish Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman before he died. He had the makings of a rich novel, related to his earlier book A Canticle for Leibowitz but capable of standing on its own. Sadly, the book as it was published is much less than what it could have been.

In Terry Bisson’s account of working to finish Miller’s book for posthumous publication (contains mild spoilers for both Saint Leibowitz and Canticle), he claims that Miller’s manuscript, as he receiv
Cristián
From the reviews it was hard to have a good idea if this book was good or not, because almost everyone was comparing it to A Canticle for Leibowitz. This one is a side story set around the year 3244 with Filipeo Hark as the ruler of Texark.
It is a good book. I liked the main characters, the story, the setting... Even though at first it started kind of slow, it grows more and more interesting at every page turn.
I would definitely recommend it whether you liked the other book or not.
Matt Kelly
This was a hugely disappointing book. A Canticle for Leibowitz is one of the all-time classics of science fiction, and it took nearly forty years before this sequel was published. It turned out to be nearly incoherent and nowhere near the quality of the original book.
Ethan I. Solomon
I really enjoyed this book, way more than I thought I would. An interesting take on the post-apocalyptic genre, which often times finds itself shying away from religious storytelling as it can be difficult to justify its existence in science-fiction in general.

I find myself wanting to give this book four stars and yet I am held back by one crucial factor; the ending. In A Canticle For Leibowitz, a few ugly points about society and religion are faced and I was left feeling changed, as I believe
Ketan Shah
It started out well but became too much of a chore to finish.When the story is initially told from the viewpoint of Blacktooth St George it's great ,but once the political intrigues become too deep the story gets too confusing and just doesn't hold interest anymore.Definitely not as good as a Canticle for Leibowitz.If you like the highly detailed,non technological world presented here,you might enjoy Keith Robert's Pavane,set in a backward 20th century molded by the assassination of Queen Elizab ...more
Sander
This book was somewhat underwhelming to me. I read it immediately after I finished Canticle (which I love) for the third time and it just does not live up to the standard of the first book.

The focus of the book on politics is an interesting choice. I enjoyed the parts about the conclave. However, the 'human side' of the story was not fleshed out. Many characters felt like cardboard to me.

The book was wel structured though. I would recommend it to someone who really enjoyed Canticle but with a ca
Michelle Ruedin
I stopped 84 pages in. Life is too short for books you don't enjoy.

Maybe the fault is mine for trying to read this right after A Canticle for Leibowitz which would be a tough act to follow for anyone (including, apparently, the author who wrote it). Perhaps my expectations were just too high. This started off well enough with a nice premise about loss of faith, but it kind of fizzled after the first two or three chapters.
Dominick
This companion novel followed A Canticle for Leibowitz almost 40 years later. It's set some 70 years after the second section of the preceding novel. The book occasionally rivals the grace and power of its predecessor, but I suspect that the fact that it was ultimately published as a result of the editorial assistance of (read "completed by") another writer explains the occasional creaks and strains. Nevertheless, this is a worthy albeit not entirely successor to one of the great SF classics.
Stephen Bonnette
Not nearly as gripping as Canticle for Leibowitz.
Joel White
A great book. Maybe one of the best I've ever read.
Mike
I am ashamed to admit that this book was so bad that I stopped reading it half way through. This is very out of character for me.

I don't know if Miller's interests changed over the intervening 30 years or if the substantial differences between Canticle and Wild Horse Woman reflect the thoughts and interests of Terry Bisson, who completed the book after Miller's suicide. Either way, I do know that this book ought not to have been written.
Nicole Marble
I adored the 'Canticle for Leibowitz' many years ago - have the radio tape. And, 40 years later, this is the sequal. I'm glad I wasn't holding my breath. 'Canticle....' was full of wonder and awe and imagination as people try to make sense of life after what seems to be nuclear war. This book takes us farther into the future, 3,000 AD+, and is bureaucratic personified. And dull as dirt to read.
Michael Sypes
Nicely written novel. Difficult to grasp as times as it's told from an unreliable point of view. It's certainly not to par with the original "Canticle for Leibowitz" but it was a good read.
Lisa H.
Published posthumously, I can't help but wonder if Miller ever meant this book to come out.

OK, I may come back and finish this at some time, but for right now it's pissing me off that it's still sitting there in my "currently-reading" list. I haven't picked this up in months.
Sascha Michels
not what i expected. well written and kind of funny.
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • Drowning Towers
  • Teranesia
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Son of Man
  • Buying Time
  • The Purple Cloud (Frontiers of Imagination)
  • Davy
  • Effendi
  • Globalhead
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • Rimrunners (Company Wars, #3)
  • The Broken Land
  • Dark Universe
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • Missile Gap
  • Gather, Darkness!
  • The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
From the Wikipedia article, "Walter M. Miller, Jr.":

Miller was born in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Educated at the University of Tennessee and the University of Texas, he worked as an engineer. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps as a radioman and tail gunner, flying more than fifty bombing missions over Italy. He took part in the bombing of the Benedictine Abbey at Monte Cassino,
More about Walter M. Miller Jr....
A Canticle for Leibowitz (St. Leibowitz, #1) Dark Benediction Conditionally Human And Other Stories Classic Science Fiction by Walter M. Miller, Jr. The Darfsteller And Other Stories

“One should be embarrassed to speak of God in the third person.” 5 likes