Start by marking “Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly!” as Want to Read:
Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly!

Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly!

This book is aimed at all those people who like to dip their fingers into anything that looks tasty, though they might be in for a bit of a shock!
Published February 20th 2006 by Hippo (first published March 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly!

Emma Otusajo
Feb 02, 2012 Emma Otusajo rated it liked it

This book is ideal for children in reception or year 1 I would say - possibly year two. A play on words, this book explores rules about what not to do, where words about food are imaginatively turned into puns related to names of animals. (Ie. the book title follows the pun along the lines of jelly and elephant, who is Nelly.)

The book has great illustrations, made slightly interactive with each image containing a hole, and the animal showing on the next page. Aside from being undoubtedly enterta
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
great kids book, my kids love it.
Den
May 08, 2017 Den rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2017
Why have I not read this before?
The children I shared it with have started looking at rhyme so it was fantastic. They also liked trying to guess the silly reasons why.
Bright, colourful and fun
Luisa Ali
Sep 17, 2014 Luisa Ali rated it it was amazing
Nick Sharratt- the author and illustrator of this delightful book provides many laughs through the medium of rhyming. Don’t Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly is a book for all those children (and adults) who like to dip their fingers into something tasty- from dipping into a pie which upsets the meringue-utan or scrummy jam that is ‘clawberry’ flavour.

It is a book I’d put in my top ten- especially when working within EYFS. The vibrant, animated illustrations of scrummy food transforming into
Olubukola Apoeso
Sep 15, 2014 Olubukola Apoeso rated it liked it
Don’t Put Your Finger in the Jelly , Nelly.

This book is very illustrative and exploratory for children. Toddlers and children will benefit from this literature. This theme of this book is generally about children dipping their little fingers into food. The author used a lot of sensory; visuals and touch which will always capture the attention of the children. The author used a lot of bold pictures which can be very appealing to children. This children’s literature can be used in arts class becau
Helen
Sep 12, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
This book is made up of simple repetitive rhyming and fun word play following on from the title.

The book contains bright colourful pages with large text. Children can really get involved by putting their fingers through the holes leading through to the next page.

it is a wonderful book, which is ideal for Nursery/Reception aged children. As the author used a lot of sensory visuals and touch, the book is also ideal for children with Special Educational Needs as it is a short fun story which child
Donni Hakanson
Mar 06, 2011 Donni Hakanson rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I would have in my top ten littlies "must reads"! (Age goup anything from 3 up to 7) For engaging children and eliciting a laugh, the interactive nature of the book bypasses it's few failings! Little kids don't GET the word plays but they sure get the fun of being eaten by the Spagh-Yeti! I also find I can at times change the names to ones they know, or play around with the wording so they can relate better! As a concept, it's great fun, a good solid book for wear and ...more
Leonie
Nov 24, 2013 Leonie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I love this book a lot and then some. For starters, my daughter's name shortens to Nelly. Then there is the spectacular rhyming word play and tricky names like Choctopus and Spag-yeti and meringue-utan. Lastly there are finger holes for tiny mits to poke their fingers through.
ESF Tsing Yi
This book is battered from over-use in our library - children love the holes through which to poke an investigating finger - into jelly, spaghetti, and all kinds of foodstuffs that are not quite what they seem. A perennial favourite, and lots of fun!
Indah Threez Lestari
194 - 2016
Charlotte
Jan 01, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wee boy loves this book, though says don't put your finger in the jelly welly! Some fantastic puns, makes you smile!
Laura Elisabeth
Feb 28, 2014 Laura Elisabeth rated it really liked it
We loved this book!!! Great read out loud book for younger kids!!
Paul
Aug 08, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Paul Simon's '50 Ways to Leave Your Lover' is recast as 'Six ways to Spare Your Index Finger and a Bonus Advice for Ignoring Onsetting Obesity'.
Thia
food, rhymes
Lydia Alles García
Lydia Alles García rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Tate
Tate rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Jelly
Jelly rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Morgyn
Morgyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2011
Abbie
Abbie rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2017
Shelley Bullas
Shelley Bullas rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Claire Spurling
Claire Spurling rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Sue Blaikie
Sue Blaikie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2017
Mrsteapea
Mrsteapea rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Gypsy
Gypsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.
More about Nick Sharratt...