Start by marking “Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin, #22)” as Want to Read:
Flight 714 to Sydney  (Tintin, #22)

Flight 714 to Sydney (Tintin #22)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,723 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
The Adventures of TinTin - Comic book formatA Qantas Boeing 707 touches down at Kemajoran ariport, Djakarta. Fight 714 from London arrives in Java, last stop before Sydney, Australia...
Published November 4th 2002 by Mammoth (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Flight 714 to Sydney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight 714 to Sydney

The Secret of the Unicorn by HergéTintin in Tibet by HergéRed Rackham's Treasure by HergéPrisoners of the Sun by HergéThe Seven Crystal Balls by Hergé
Best Tintin books
15th out of 25 books — 120 voters
Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyTintin in Tibet by HergéThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
18th out of 497 books — 175 voters

More lists with this book...

David Sarkies
May 01, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love a good graphic novel
Recommended to David by: Primary School
Shelves: adventure
Tintin is kidnapped by his Arch-nemesis
26 February 2012

I used to love this one as a kid because it had lots of machine guns in it. However, since I have returned to reading the Tintin books so that I know what I am writing about (as opposed to some books that I am not really interested in rereading, namely because they are too long and that there are other books out there that I would rather spend my time reading) I have no longer appreciate this album as much as some of Herge's other stories.
Huda Aweys
كل اللى اقدر اقولهولكم انى كنت باهرب بعد الفسحه من الحصص و اتدارى فى المكتبة عشان اقرا تان تان دا
:)))))
Sammy
Feb 02, 2011 Sammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My review, as published at Tintin Books:

For a man who has been criticised (fairly or not) for sexism, padding of stories and racism to (among others) Africans, Jews, Native Americans, Japanese, Russians and Indians, it's amusing to think that his most controversial work amongst fans is probably "Flight 714", the penultimate completed adventure in the series. But, on re-reading, you can count me amongst those who think it was probably one big mistake.

"Flight 714" starts off strongly enough, with
Maria Carmo
Jan 20, 2015 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.
In this adventure Tintin and Captain Haddock meet again their old enemy Rastapopoulos! The adventure - which starts with a seemingly innocuous plane trip, ends up being one of the most defying ones in terms of fights and counter coups...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 20 January 2015.
Kevin
Jul 13, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funnybooks
Darker than most of Tintin's adventures, but it fares better than The Castafiore Emerald and Tintin and the Picaros, both of which have less the spark of the earlier stories. That spark is very much alive in Flight 714. When I was younger I must have found Mr Carriedas, the target of the plot's hijacking, despicable, and his awfulness diminished my enjoyment of the book. And though he's a horrible man with no redeeming characteristics, I can now better appreciate the fun Herge has with this mons ...more
Helmut
Mar 24, 2014 Helmut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Et il y a des gens qui voyagent pour leur plaisir!
Die späteren Bände aus der Reihe werden oft von Leuten, die die Mondabenteuer oder die Schatzsuchegeschichten Tintins mögen, als verkopfte Spätwerke gesehen. Mir persönlich gefallen sie sehr, und, wenn "Vol 714" auch bei weitem nicht so gut ist wie das brillante Les bijoux de la Castafiore, hat dieser Band doch einige Qualitäten, die ich loben will.

Hergé baute immer wieder gern mehr oder weniger aktuelles Zeitgeschehen in seine Werke ein, sei es
Johara Almogbel
Dec 24, 2014 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it
I loved this one, very close call! I love Herge's colors, they're so vivid.
Hadis
Nov 09, 2014 Hadis added it
اولين كتاب تن تن ى كه خوندم، و ديگه ول نكردم :)
Thomas
Jan 30, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing
what a lot of evily ingenious plots but they are surely not going to work when Tintin is in them. unless they are his!.....this book also has a come back of a old friend read the book to find out!

Hmmm how many times have I read this??? You just cant get enough of Tintin! He never fails to please.
Hamdhan Naeemullah
Jan 28, 2015 Hamdhan Naeemullah rated it it was amazing
Tintin and his friends, at their transit at Jakarta are asked to accompany an eccentric millionaire Laszlo Carreidas in Flight 714 bound to Sydney. Flight 714 is hijacked by Rastapopoulos with an objective of getting hold of millionaire Carreidas' account number in the Swiss bank. He did not expect Tintin and his friends to accompany Carreidas but nonetheless is delighted at the opportunity of taking revenge.

Tintin and his friends are tied down in an island in the Pacific ocean, as expected they
Karhum Ghassan
Feb 12, 2012 Karhum Ghassan rated it it was amazing
This was the last book i read and found out it is not bad at first you dont enjoy but after some while it became more enjoyable cool book
Ron
Jun 09, 2014 Ron rated it did not like it
I read this because it's referenced in a key character development scene in Mohsin Hamid's "The Reluctant Fundamentalist", but it's just rubbish.

I was an Asterix reader in junior high school, and never went down the Tin Tin path, and - up until this afternoon - I always felt I'd missed out on something.

I've read reviews that proclaim there are better Tin Tin "albums" than this, but I suspect that that is a little like saying Police Academy 3 is a better film than Police Academy 4.

Mathew
This one was one of my favoruites - Herge definitely has it in for businessmen as we meet with Rastapopoulos again and Laszlo Carreidas (who appears nice at first) but his eccentricity shows him to be cunning and selfish with much of his money held in suspicious Swiss bank accounts. As always for me, though, it is the locations and I can't but think that Herge and Tintin were the inspiration for Indiana Jones' adventures too. This story has the same sense of wonderful humour, an interest in lost ...more
A.G. Werff
Jul 12, 2014 A.G. Werff rated it it was amazing
Spoilers for those who have not read the book:

One of my favorite Tintin books. I love the hint of sci-fi, and the reappearance of Skut, the Estonian pilot. It's fun to see the recurring baddies - Allan and Rastapopolous, and see how Herge ultimately humiliates them. The "Wait for me Allan! Allan, wait! Don't go so fast!" at the end is particularly enjoyable.
We get some new characters... Mr. Carreidas, the millionaire who doesn't laugh, and his slimy secretary Spalding. And Dr. Krollspell is righ
Jan 21, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I've always been fascinated by this book, mostly because I could never quite make sense of it. Flying saucers? Mysterious islands? A miserly multi-millionaire, kidnapped for money and revenge? It seems a little out of context with the rest of the series, but it's still a hilarious read with lots of nods to previous adventures. Look out for Captain Haddock with his sticking plaster, and Cuthbert Calculus "acting the goat," among other things!
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Jul 22, 2015 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un vuelo de inesperadas consecuencias pone a Tintín sus compañeros en una aventura exótica de inesperados alcances. Humor y aventura mezclados en una historia cuya liviandad respecto de las anteriores se compensa con su dinamismo y rápida lectura, diálogos limitados a los preciso y un homenaje/parodia al interés que los "discos voladores" cobraban por esos años.
Dyah Ayu Nurinda Shabrina
Hore! Indonesia menjadi bagian dari cerita ini. Mulai dari Bandara Kemayoran, Universitas Jakarta, Makassar, Komodo, Pulau Flores, Kapal Pinisi, topi yang seperti dipakai Bung Tomo,dll. Sepertinya Herge sangat mempelajari seluk beluk Indonesia secara rinci. Di cerita ini tetap saja mengisahkan kenekatan Tintin dalam memecahkan misteri pengalihan kekuasaan atas pesawat.
Marko
Feb 09, 2014 Marko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Tämä toiseksi viimeinen Tintti ei erityisemmin maistunut. Syynä lienee, että tapahtumapaikat ovat aika rajattuja, maailma on Tintiksi kovin moderni (julkaistu alunperin 60-luvun lopussa) ja en oikein pitänyt albumin "avaruudellisesta" aspektista. Myöskään 7-vuotias poikani, jolle albumin luin iltasaduksi, ei oikein innostunut. 3 tähteä silti.
Cookie Mason (seetheworldwithbooks)
Ini seru banget!!! Dari awal udah kocak yang si kapten haddock sedekah ke gembel padahal dia jutawan wahahahah xDDD terus terus paling suka pas mereka ditawan di pulau dan si jutawan itu dibius pake obat dan jadi ngomong ngalor ngidul yang BTW KOCAK PARAH BENER-BENER NGOCOK PERUT AHAHAHA KAPTEN HADDOCK AND TINTIN IS A PERFECT TEAM <3
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead ...more
Nugraha Pierre
Apr 05, 2010 Nugraha Pierre rated it it was amazing
Baca komik ini waktu sd, bener-bener serasa ada di dalam petualangan tin-tin, capt. haddock, & professor calculus terutama dengan setting yang berada di indonesia, membuat saya saat itu sangat antusias membacanya. Bercerita tentang tin-tin dan capt haddock dalam penerbanganan menuju sidney, dan transit di bandara kemayoran (di versi terjemahan di bandara cengkareng mungkin karena ketika diterjemahkan bandara internasional sudah pindah ke cengkareng), bertemu milyoner laszlo cereidas yang dis ...more
i!
Sep 19, 2013 i! rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-and-comix
A good amount to like about this one, particularly the artwork. Quickly-shifting locales gave Herge a good amount to invent, and the color palates used, particularly in the erupting volcano section, are great. But there's a good amount that's just strange: Krollspell and Rastapopoulos's character designs are bizarre, the former's especially, and don't mesh well with Tintin and Capt. Haddock's, and to a lesser extent Calculus's, more classic, and older, designs. The adventure is going pretty well ...more
Abhijit
Sep 12, 2011 Abhijit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished re-reading Flight 714(to Sydney)after a long time.

Flight 714 to Sydney keeps up the humor element throughout the story added to being a unique adventure different from the others in the Tintin series, because of it's extra-terrestrial dimension.The introduction of Carreidas and the experience of the characters on the island involves non-stop humor, even as an interesting adventure progresses.It is one of the more informative albums of the series with the comic element going.

T
Moa Bernhardsson
Jun 17, 2015 Moa Bernhardsson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This particular album brings back fond memories from my childhood when I was watching the tv series. There was something about the story that made it become extra memorable. As usual there's a lot of action and adventure, which isn't something original in the world of Tintin. It's the new characters and the fact that they're stuck on a mysterious island that make this album stand out.

Dan Wilson
Jul 11, 2015 Dan Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
This Tintin volume is heavy on the action and adventure--in this case, an adventure not of the protagonists' choosing. The ensemble of familiar and new characters is excellent, with the difficult and despicable Laszlo Carreidas being a noteworthy new addition. The heroes face human and natural dangers. Herge's comedic chops are in top form throughout. The story takes a science fiction turn at the end about which I have mixed feelings. Mostly, it feels wrong (as did the supernatural elements in T ...more
Adam
Apr 26, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
Love Tintin, love the art, the design, especially the machines. The story is kinda dumb, but timely (echoes of Malaysian Air FL 370). If I thought about the ethnic stereotypes and what they meant it would bother me, but I just don't, and love Tintin.
Fi♥4♥Love
Sep 25, 2015 Fi♥4♥Love rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tintin and Snowy Fans
Shelves: comic, 1_adventure
I actually really enjoyed this comic. In Flight 714 to Sydney were quite a lot of funny parts, where I laughed out loud!

Professor Calculus is very amusing, Captain Haddock his sarcastic-best and the story line throughout was just the most funniest than most of the other Tintin and Snowy comics.

In this comic Tintin and Snowy are accompanied by Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus to travel to Sydney when they meet their friend *Skut (from The Red Sea Sharks) and run into another adventure agai
Steven S
#1 Ceritanya berkesan karena mengambil tempat di Indonesia
#2 Lewat buku ini Herge mengabadikan bandara Kemayoran Jakarta.
#3 Kisah yang menarik membuat buku ini layak dibaca dan dikoleksi.
Roshan Karathambalath
Mar 13, 2014 Roshan Karathambalath rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting because Tintin had to find a lot of ways to get back to the place he wanted to go back to.He got stuck in Djakarta and it took him a while to get back.
Roshini
Dec 14, 2015 Roshini rated it really liked it
Oh, Tintin! Are you ever in the right place at the right time? Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus get into a mess in this one all by chance! We see some old friends and enemies coming back to make life difficult. The four of them are kidnapped and taken to an isolated island and the rest of the story revolves around them trying to escape alive. This is the second Tintin that deals with the supernatural and mystic. Professor Calculus and Captain Haddock make up for the lack of ...more
  • The Mansions of the Gods (Asterix, #17)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin, #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin, #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab With the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)