Start by marking “Tim in Amerika (Tintin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tim in Amerika  (Tintin, #3)

Tim in Amerika (Tintin #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  10,200 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
Having overcome Al Capone’s gangsters in Tintin in the Congo, Tintin is sent to Chicago, Illinois, to clean up the city. He’s captured by gangsters several times and soon meets Capone himself. Although he temporarily captures Capone and some of his henchmen, the policeman he calls to arrest the gangsters doesn’t believe his story and tries to have Tintin locked up instead! ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Carlsen Verlag GmbH (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tim in Amerika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tim in Amerika

Miriam
On second thought , let's not go to America. 'Tis a silly place.
Dirk Grobbelaar
We've arrived. I smell gangsters!

To quote Snowy: Tintin has arrived. This is, as far as all logic dictates, the first Tintin book in the series (in the conventional sense). The first two (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin au Congo) are oddities which are interesting in their own right, but really recommended for Tintin completists only.

Great snakes! This is entertaining as all heck, and to think the best is yet to come!

There isn't much more I can add to this review, really. If you are
Melki
Gangsters, machine guns and police brutality!

Welcome to the good ole U.S. of A., Tintin!

On a mission to clean up corruption in Chicago, Tintin is kidnapped, shot at, gassed, tossed in a lake, and clubbed by a copper. Then it's onward to the Redskin Reservation to make fun of some Native Americans. Here Tintin, the little towheaded Paleface, is shot at some more, trapped in a tunnel, and manages to discover oil. (Don't worry - oil company men instantly materialize to reap the profits and screw th
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintin en Amérique (Tintin, #3), Hergé
عنوانها: تن تن در آمريكا - ماجراهایی از تن تن و میلو؛ عنوان دیگر: جدال با تبهکاران؛ ماجراهای تن تن خبرنگار جوان 3؛ موضوع داستانهای فکاهی مصور از نویسندگان بلژیکی قرن 20 م
عنوان: جدال با تبهکاران؛ ماجراهای تن تن خبرنگار جوان 3؛ نویسنده: هرژه؛ مترجم: رایحه اندیشه؛ تهران، رایحه اندیشه، 1381؛ در 62 ص، مصور، شابک: 9647706030؛
عنوان: تن تن در آمريكا؛ سری ماجراهای تن تن و میلو؛ تهران، زرین، نگارستان کتاب، ، 1381؛ در 62 ص، مصور، شابک: 9644072901؛
این کتاب بارها چاپ
Shaid Zaman
Mar 23, 2016 Shaid Zaman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, tintin
ছোট বেলায় রিকসা ভাড়ার টাকা জমিয়ে কমিকস কিনতাম। তাই চাচা চৌধুরী বা বিললু অথবা পিঙকিতেই খুশি থাকতে হতো। টিনটিন এর যা দাম ছিল তা জমাতে জমাতে নতুন চাচা চৌধুরী ঘরে চলে আসতো। কদাচিৎ টিনটিন পড়ার সৌভাগয হতো। তাও অনযদের কাছ থেকে ধার নিয়ে। দুপুর রোদে সকুল থেকে হেঁটে ফিরতাম, কষট হতো, কিনতু সপতাহ শেষে বেঁচে যাওয়া রিকসা ভাড়া দিয়ে যখন নতুন একটা কমিকস কিনতে পারতাম সেই কষট আর কষট মনে হতো না। এখনো কমিকস পেলে ঝাপিয়ে পড়তে মন চায়। আর টিনটিন হলে তো কথাই নেই। ...more
Alvina
Mar 12, 2017 Alvina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tintin ini emang beruntung banget yak. Dikejar kejar mafia, hampir mati dikejar suku Indian, etapi sukses sukses aja akhirnya XD
محمد  جبر
لا بأس وإن كانت فيها تطويل باعث للملل وإيقاع لاهث مطارد ومطارد دون لمحات فكاهية واحتوى على محتوى عنصري !
Mohammed
Sep 28, 2012 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading Tintin series is special experience to me, he was the comics hero i rated highly when i came to Sweden as a kid. Of course i cant remember much from the actual stories now other than i liked the over the top fun,adventure.

Rating this as an adult is different and i thought this volume was a clear improvement on the black and white early,immature artwork of the first volume Tintin in Soviet and the weird,off putting animal slaughterhouse that is Tintin in Congo.

This volume the art is mu
Neil
May 18, 2010 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a hotel detec
Jake
This book was so lazily written. Everything was soooooo convenient. Tintin should died, like, ten times. Oh, Tintin's been tied to metal and dropped into the sea? Nevermind. It was accidentally made of wood. Oh, Tintin is tied to railroad tracks? Nevermind. Some lady stopped the train because she saw a puma maul a deer. Tintin needs a way out of the room! Oh, there's a secret door. Tintin needs to find the criminal! Oh, he bumped into him in the desert. It'd be insulting to the reader if it wasn ...more
Harish Challapalli
This is the first color edition of tin tin!!

As I have read few latest editions than these, I felt that it is not like those!! All the adventures in the latest editions are wonderful and tin tin escapes from them by his intelligence and spontaneity, where as in this one it is more of luck!!

Also the cartoons are too geeky and the narration was boring at some times!! Nevertheless the brand name of tin tin will make u read it completely and entertains u well!!
David Sarkies
Feb 04, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard Tintin Fans (can be ignored)
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
Herge Criticises the American Way
4 February 2012

This is not really my favourite Tintin story, though it is only the third one ever written. The story appears to be set immediately after Tintin in the Congo and it is suggested (it has been a long time since I read a Tintin in the Congo, if I ever actually read it in English so I can only garner from what was said about it at the beginning of this story) that Tintin busted a diamond smuggling ring in the Congo and then travelled to the United Sta
Dr Rashmit Mishra
This was the first coloured edition of the tintin books and much of the racist outlook and Various propaganda were thrown out of the window, making this portrayal of Tintin much closer to the one we have known and loved

That said the Talking Dog and Characters not dying after stuff like explosion, car accident and Train accident still exists making this issue despite a much better installment than its predecessor still a book that hasn't aged well for this day and age
Andrew
Jan 14, 2017 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-comics-alt
End ups being very repetitive and exhausting to read. Tintin gets saved a dozen too many times. Certainly hints at being a good book but overstays it's welcome... and at 60 pages that's quite a bad achievement.
Lilly Minasyan
Apr 14, 2017 Lilly Minasyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of Tin Tin, where it is just him and Snowy, before the Captain. Enjoyed it :)
itchy
Jan 30, 2017 itchy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
color has come at last
Melanie Soble
Oct 14, 2011 Melanie Soble rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1. This book would fall under the category of a junior book, graphic novel.
2. Tintin is a reporter who somehow gets out of extremely sticky situations. It is set in 1931 in Chicago where Tintin manages to chase down gangsters across the Midwest.
3. critique
a. As far as graphic novels go, this book is not that great. The characters lack development and the plot is pretty lame.
b. Graphic novels often lack the depth of character development, but this book goes seems to lack even a bit of develop
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love the Tin Tin series since we traveled through the Loire. Although it begins with a precise date (1931) and location (Chicago) and features a real historical figure (Al Capone), 'Tintin In America' is Herge's tribute to the mythical America of dime novels and silent serials (especially gangster stories and Westerns). There's a real 'Perils Of Pauline' quality to Tintin's misadventures, which see the young reporter and his faithful terrier Snowy attempt to clean Chicago of gangsters, and wh ...more
আকাশ আব্দুল্লাহ
টিনটিন সিরিজের এখানেই সমাপতি। তিনটা বই পড়েই বোর হয়ে গেছি। বই গুলার সবচে খারাপ লেগেছে যে দিকটা সেটা হচছে, যে বিপদেই টিনটিন পড়ুক না কেনো কাকতালীয়ভাবে সে বেচে যাবেই। বারবার এরকম কাকতাল বিরকত করেছে। পরতযেকটা বইয়ের এভারেজ মানের পলট, কাহিনী নিয়ে এই সিরিজ এতো নাম করলো কিভাবে সেটা আমি বুঝলাম না। বইগুলোতে টিনটিনের বুদধির ঝিলিকের কোনো নাম নিশানা নেই। শুধুমাতর কাকতালীয় ভাবে বিপদ থেকে বাচতে বাচতেই গলপ শেষ হয়।
অনেক একসপেকটেশন নিয়ে ধরেছিলাম সিরিজটা। বিরকত হয়ে বাদ দিতে হলো
Andrea
Jul 25, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is my summer of reading Proust and Tintin! I bought the whole selection of Tintin that were available. These have action, adventure, and humor! Snowy the dog is my favorite character. You never outgrow these stories as far as I am concerned. I look forward to reading more and I am pleased to have these books as the shelves where they reside in our local library are empty! Need, I say more?!?
Michael
A disappointing start to the Tintin series. A simplistic series of incidents strung together by unlikely coincidences onto a threadbare plot. Tintin is one-dimensional and uninteresting in this story.

I know that the series gets better as I read some of the later ones to my children when they were younger. Therefore, I will persevere and hope that Hergé hits his stride quickly.
Mimansa Bairathi
All stereotypes busted! Tintin is in the city of gangster- Chicago. Really hilarious with all the stereotypes of the time gone wrong- the accident prone railroads, the cowboys filled Wild West, forest fires, incompetent Italian gangsters, the mad rush for oil, gullible tribes and Tintin warding off all dangers with his loyal mutt Snowy!
Isabel
2,5*
Neste "Tintim na América", Hergé começa a marcar um estilo mais próprio. A história, apesar da falta de alguns mecanismos de linguagem, faz mais sentido e apesar de todo o heroísmo que continua a circundar a personagem principal, há uma ligeireza nos ideais em relação aos "nativos" em oposto aos livros anteriores.
Kim
Things are getting closer to the Tintin I remember. Still a bit of stereotyping going on but at least the white Americans weren't portrayed as being the nice guys. This time Tintin travels to America to investigate the mobs whose activities he disrupted in the Congo. A bit shorter than the first books and the first in colour. Onwards to the next adventure!
Maria Carmo
I decided, as in each beginning of a new year, to go back to books I read in my childhood or youth...here I am re reading Tin-tin books!

A funny adventure in which the young reporter faces the Mafia and its "Unions"! And also encounters tribes of Indians... Milu the dog is the great star, saving Tin-tin several times...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 1 January 2015.
Germancho
Feb 24, 2011 Germancho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Let's be honest, this is not an informed book: Herge had never been to America before drawing it. However, it has a high documentary value as a window to a time when Europe viewed the US with suspicion and more than a bit of contempt. It also shows Herge's more personal views towards big business and ruthless capitalism.
Julia
Oct 19, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin, owned
This is an early Tintin but one of the first where Herge did some research on the subject rather than just going with stereotypes of the day. A lot of lucky coincidences save the day for our boy hero and his dog.
Patrick Fisackerly
Apr 04, 2011 Patrick Fisackerly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
While this still is more episodic than the later Tintin stories, this was a vast improvement in both storytelling and humor over the first Tintin installment. Sure, there are some unfortunate stereotypes (especially in the first edition), but I really enjoyed the hell out of it.
Tintin
Nov 18, 2016 Tintin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was young and reckless. Foolish and foolhardy. It all ended okay but I am ashamed of the man I was in those days.
Ash
I hardly remember anything. Read Tintin so many yrs back, maybe some 14 yrs back?! Rereading the whole series.. And thoroughly enjoying again :)
TinTin Books: Tintin cover fetches record-breaking 1.3m euros 4 18 Jun 13, 2012 10:15PM
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin, #2)
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab With the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)