Start by marking “Down to Earth (Colonization, #2)” as Want to Read:
Down to Earth (Colonization, #2)

Down to Earth (Colonization #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,920 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In 1942 Hitler led the world's most savage military machine. Stalin ruled Russia, while America was just beginning to show its strength in World War II. Then, in Harry Turtledove's brilliantly imagined Worldwar saga, an alien invasion changed everything: alliances, technology, commerce, and--most of all--the nature of life and death. Nuclear destruction engulfed some of Ea ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Down to Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to Earth

David
This novel is the second in Harry Turtledove's "Colonization" series. While the series is called a "tetralogy", I can only find three books--it really is a trilogy. This novel picks up where the first one (Second Contact left off. The humans on Earth have stagnated in three major civilizations; United States, The Third Reich, and the Soviet Union. The alien "race" has conquered the Southern Hemisphere, and some scattered footholds in the Northern Hemisphere.

Like the first book in the series, Tur
Neil
Thoughts while reading:
This book has been better than the prior novels, overall, about the passing of time. The author has been making comments about '____ weeks ago when something happened' throughout the course of the story, which has helped the reader's frame of reference. It is kind of funny, though, when he does it in the 'middle' of a chapter [during one of the many 'dialogue breaks' ], because it makes one wonder if the time reference implies that much time has elapsed between, say, Atv
James
Jan 14, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Continuing from Second Contact - what is there to say? Harry Turtledove has written more alternate history SF, and written it better, than anyone else; his research is in-depth, his storytelling is exciting and well-thought-out, and his characters are memorable and appealing (most of them.) Something for just about everyone here.
Chad J
May 15, 2015 Chad J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turtledove-harry
I have found the entire World War Series interesting and entertaining. I do find that Turtledove tends to repeat information in his books to often, its not like his readers can't remember information from one book to another!
Also Turtledove should stop writing sex dialog. Sorry buddy, you are just not very good at that.

What Turtledove is great at is presenting history from an alturnate reality. I find the books captivating and wanting more. Could stand a little less of hearing (And I Great You S
Voss
Jan 12, 2015 Voss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storia splendida.
Scrittura da vomito.
Insopportabile.
Peccato.
Matteo Pellegrini
Feb 03, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico

Durante la seconda guerra mondiale una razza aliena, i Rettili, invade la Terra. Il corso del conflitto cambia volto, e nuove alleanze e coalizioni si formano per affrontare un nemico oscuro e potente. Con il trascorrere degli anni un nuovo ordine mondiale inizia a prendere forma, ma tutte le nazioni devono abituarsi a convivere con i nuovi inquilini del pianeta, ormai pronti alla colonizzazione dell'umanità.

Daniel Hamad
Scott Gardner
Aug 13, 2014 Scott Gardner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not a patch on the original series , was still a good read though
Emma
Aug 21, 2011 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans
Recommended to Emma by: Tony
The Worldwar/Colonization series continues to be super awesome. You'd think the setting would run out of relevant story, but it's just heating up in Down to Earth! The characters from Second Contact (I don't think there were any new ones) continue to be compelling and exciting. I continue to enjoy the series greatly, although I am running out of new things to say about it in review!

Read my full review at my book review blog.
Christopher Hatch
May 13, 2016 Christopher Hatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another long read, which was on a slow boil for 80% of the book. But then the conclusion was terrific stuff that certainly has kept me interested for Book 7.
Toby
Feb 01, 2011 Toby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh, I didn't like this as much as the first series. The characters and, particularly the plot, were not quite as interesting. And Turtledove's constant repetition of basic difference between the humans and the lizards approached ridiculous. There was also some very bad science-fiction writing used to pad out the book, e.g. bland and tedious descriptions of shuttle crafts taking off and landing is the stuff that gives science fiction a bad name.
Nathan
Jan 18, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
I said after the first one that this was obviously one book cut into 3, and I stand by that claim. This one just stops. The Germans get bum-paddled by the aliens and then it just stops. Odd. Still pulpy but fun. Rated MA for sex scenes, nudity, moderate coarse language, moderate violence, war themes. 3/5
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who read the Balance series
This was an excellent series. Not only did Turtledove create excellent characters, but he created a great story line that moves well from book to book. If you like the series, you can hardly wait until the next book comes out. Luckily, Turtledove is one of the most prolific writers out there today.
Holden Attradies
The series continues to be strong and enjoyable, and after a first volume that was rather slow this one picked the pace rather quickly!

As always I felt the most enjoyable bits were when the two races met and explored their differences which are both few and many at the same time.
Julie
Feb 07, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a long series, but I just have to keep on reading to find out how it ends. One more book to go. Harry Turtledove has the most fascinating imagination. He uses real history and then changes things, like aliens invading Earth during WWII in this case.
Karl Schaeffer
Turtledove, Turtledove, Turtledove! I love the way Turtledove turns the world on its ear with the coming of the Race. Turtledove writing is rich and detailed. I'd call it luscious.
Miloš Petrik
It appears that the author made some continuity errors in the final chapter.
Tim
Problems abound...some solutions...some continue....Love me some Turtledove....
Leben Norrie
Mar 26, 2014 Leben Norrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series and Turtledove keeps pulling all the punches
Lorenzo
Secondo volume della serie Colonizzazione. Da leggere come gli altri
Boyd
Jan 31, 2013 Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Cold War? How do these nations learn to coexist.
Torrey
May 22, 2013 Torrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good but, suffer the problem of the first book.
John
Peter Pier
Mar 13, 2008 Peter Pier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...still to be read
Brandie Course
Brandie Course marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Daniel Johnson
Daniel Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • The Two Georges
  • Hannibal's Children
  • 1942
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • Battle Hymn (Lost Regiment #5)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Colonization (3 books)
  • Second Contact (Colonization, #1)
  • Aftershocks (Colonization, #3)