Start by marking “The Victorious Opposition (American Empire, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Victorious Opposition (American Empire, #3)

The Victorious Opposition (American Empire #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,385 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Harry Turtledove’s acclaimed alternate history series began with a single question: What if the South had won the Civil War? Now, seventy years have passed since the first War Between the States. The North American continent is locked in a battle of politics, economies, and moralities. In a world that has already felt the soul-shattering blow of the Great War, North Americ ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Victorious Opposition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Victorious Opposition

Eric Bauman
This is the third book in the “American Empire” trilogy, and is the seventh book in what most fans refer to as the “Southern Victory” series—Turtledove hasn’t officially named the series that I know of. This series is based on the premise that the Confederacy won the American Civil War in 1863 and remained a separate country. The previous trilogy in the series, “The Great War” details World War I in this alternate history, in which the USA defeats the CSA and Germany defeats Britain and France.

A
Ryan
Part three of the "American Empire" trilogy show Jake Featherston and the Freedom Party taking control of the CSA, and the predictable reprocussions that happen as a result. It's clear that Turtledove knows his interwar history, and he brings all of that to bear here.

There were two main problems I had with this book: first, Turtledove seems much more interested in using his characters to advance the plot, rather than having the plot happen as a result of the characters. I got the feeling I could
The other John
This, the seventh book of Mr. Turtledove's Timeline-191 series is essentially the chronicles of the first Featherston administration, starting in 1934. As the book opens, Jake Featherston--this reality's version of Adolf Hitler--has just been sworn in as the President of the Confederate States of America. All through the proceeding volumes, he's been holding grudges and remembering those who slighted him. Now he gets a chance for payback. There's no real surprises in how that particular storylin ...more
Holden Attradies
Like all the rest this was a really good read. I will say that this series does get better the further into it you go and this one is the farthest I've read and was by far my favorite. I particularly liked the way things got handed off to a mostly new generation of characters in this book as a lead up to the war, not something that happens as the war starts. I also found the organic grouth of what are obviously turning into concentration camps in the CSA to be particularly chilling.
Erik
best one of the american empire, possible second best of the series after How Few Remain.

this is the book where all the build up finally happens - revenge is served.

aside from some longtime fav characters getting unceremoniously killed off to make room for new narrators, the book is really entertaining.
James
On it goes. In Harry Turtledove's alternate world, some of the things that happened in Europe between the world wars happen in the United States and Confederate States instead; interesting to think about how people here would have felt and acted in those circumstances.
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who read the Balance series.
This was a great series. I love how Jake Featherstone becomes the South's version of Adolf Hitler. The parallels are scary, but effective. The work camps are a great approximation of the Nazi's war on the Jews. The combat and characters are worth investing in.
Marsha Wiese
What if the Confederate states fought a second war and won their independence? What if the new Confederate nation's leader was a bigot who saw Blacks as expendable and expansion of this country a necessity beyond question. Makes for an interesting read.
Kb
The end of a trilogy that deals more with politics than war, which I find much more interesting. Characters that we've known for books are dying, replaced by their children who were newborns in previous titles. Turtledove's imagination is without limits.
Emma
I found this book to jump around too much for my taste. This is the first of Turtledove's books that I have read, but I felt so disconnected from all of the stories.
Robert Shultz
Great set up for the coming showdown between the USA and CSA. The one gripe is using the Holocaust as an entertainment component of the novel.
Oleksiy Kononov
I liked it, even though the ending (CSA bombing the USA on June 22, 1941) was too much...
Deborah
I just don't care about enough of the characters to continue with this series.
Oct 31, 2009 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Alternative History
Victor H
Victor H marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Soriambi
Soriambi marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Yushak
Yushak added it
Dec 10, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Dec 01, 2014
  • 1945
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • The Two Georges
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • Alternate Presidents
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)