Start by marking “Tempted” as Want to Read:

Tempted

Widowed at thirty-three with two small kids, Beverly Simpson wants someone to blame. Angry, hurt, and full of regret for what she's lost, she rails against a once trusted God and hides her loneliness behind a sassy exterior.

Joe Clark, intrigued by Bev's irreverent approach to life, stubbornly pursues her. However, the pair have two very different outlooks on life. Joe is a
Published December 2nd 2013 (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Tempted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempted

Dee
Mar 02, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it
Two-haiku review:

She's widow with kids
Dated a bunch of losers
Then meets a pastor

Republished old book
She should have updated it
Still, a good story
phoebess
Aug 03, 2016 phoebess rated it did not like it
This book was so boring, exhausting and the writing style was sometimes chaotic, clumsy and unrefined.
I'm not opposed to reading about a hero who is a preacher, not at all. But I don't like too much of—how should I put it—churchy stuff, prayers and conversations with God in the story. I like it when it's more balanced story-telling, you know. And that relationship between Joe and Bev? I thought it was some kind of weird modern threesome because they were mentioning Him so often...
Jean
Sep 09, 2016 Jean rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.

This was unlike any of Robyn Carr's other books that I've read. I loved Joe's steadiness and character as well as Beverly's irreverence. They really fit well together!
Alicia
Jan 17, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
Tempted...to read

I enjoyed this novel by Robyn Carr. I picked it up on a one day deal and because it had raving reviews.

While the book was sweet and interesting, the characters relatable and likable, I felt that the plot dragged on just a little too long and felt redundant.

The issues she addressed and the relationship between the two main characters were well written. While the reader could understand the hesitancy of Bev engaging in another lifelong commitment, and Joe's desire to be in one wi
Sheri
Aug 02, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grade: B+. This is an older book of Robyn Carr's. I found it delightful. Also surprising.

Joe, a minister, falls head-over-heels in love with Bev. Bev's husband died 2 years ago, leaving her with two young boys. The experience caused her to lose faith in God. There's the conflict--how could Bev possibly be minister-wife material? Bev is honest, uninhibited, sarcastic. She makes Joe laugh. Joe is incredibly patient with Bev. Watching these two work through all of Bev's fears, Bev learning to t
Emily Higgins
Nov 30, 2015 Emily Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Beverly's husband is killed in a horrific car accident. Left with a lot of grief and 2 young boys to raise, Beverly has found that meeting eligible men is not working for her. She begins to volunteer ar her parent's church and meets the youth minister. Joe is a little younger than Bev, but very interested. Bev doubts her faith and does not believe that Joe could find her attractive. This book should be labeled a Christian book. This is an early Robyn Carr work, but her later work is so much ...more
Pamela Devereux
Apr 30, 2015 Pamela Devereux rated it really liked it
Belief

When Beverley's husband died, she was left to raise 2 small boys on her own. After several years, family and friends try setting her up on dates. After the last one she said no more. Only her obgyn didn't get the message.
Enter Joe who is a minister. The problem is she doesn't believe in God anymore. She lost her faith when her husband was killed. Joe has found who he has been searching for. That Beverly has 2 boys, doesn't matter. It was a fun read.
Lori
Dec 19, 2013 Lori rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ok I quit. I made it 18% into this book and "Bev" is just awful. I feel for her loss, I really do, but she's a total twit and an idiot. The conversation with her ob/gyn was disgusting and from there it just got worse. I'm so glad this isn't the first Robyn Carr I ever read b/c I definitely wouldn't go back for more but her Virgin Ridge and now her latest series are among my favorites. This book is simply awful, however.
Kobie
Mar 22, 2015 Kobie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
copyright 1987. it is funny to read about a heroine smoking. by funny, I mean odd, not laughing funny.
the POV changes are tough at first, but you can really see the Virgin River author in this! I liked the faih struggle and Bev as a character.
one caution: there is spanking of a child in this, which I think is a symptom of the times, but still not cool with me,
Marion Galvin
Mar 14, 2014 Marion Galvin rated it it was amazing
Wow awesome

Wow awesome

this book is soo soo good unexpected angle in an awesome story with sweet and fired characters. a reminder we are all imperfect in this crazy world.
Sally L. Moran
Oct 05, 2015 Sally L. Moran rated it really liked it
Tempted

I'am not finding your storyline very good. Your characters were very unusual and hard to get to know. I felt your main character was not so likeable, she was always complaining.
Sabine
Nov 18, 2009 Sabine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total Romance, but there were some redeeming aspects. I liked the male character quite a bit, but at times couldn't figure out what i the world he saw in the girl, but isn't that how it always is? Didn't care for it enough to start reading romance novels on a regular basis, but it wasn't awful.
Mary Stockwell
Apr 07, 2016 Mary Stockwell rated it it was amazing
Very heartwarming

This book is very tender and heartwarming . It deals with death , hope love end new beginnings . We all walk different paths in life but we can come together in God's love.
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 07, 2010 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story but you could tell it was dated. Plenty of action and a heartwarming hero who fell in love first and pursued but it was heavy into questioning religion so my rating 3.5* Widow Beverly is setup with minister Joe.
Monique E. Lacroix
Feb 21, 2016 Monique E. Lacroix rated it it was amazing
Different

I have read a lot of Robyn Carr s books and I love them all. This book was different for me because it switched back from one first person to another. I loved the insight that was shown in regards to the widow and the preacher at times.
Terese Pollreis
Dec 22, 2014 Terese Pollreis rated it it was amazing
Great book hard to put down!!!

Great book hard to put down
Really enjoyed it.
Would recommend it to all my friends. Great author. Loved the book.

Louann Shumate
May 15, 2016 Louann Shumate rated it it was amazing
Robyn's my favorite

As all of her books this one is no different. I get so into them I can't put them down .If you have never read her books you don't know what your missing.
S A
Jan 06, 2014 S A rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Virgin River series. This is the first book I've read of Carr's outside of the series. I didn't enjoy it.
Anna Keaton
Jul 23, 2014 Anna Keaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly good. Sweet story. Only tiny bit preachy, but what to expect when the hero is a preacher. Re-release of book from 1987.
Polly
Oct 14, 2014 Polly rated it it was amazing
A happy feel good little novel. A young Widow is courted but unsure of her future. I loved it.

Marsha
Dec 26, 2015 Marsha added it
Shelves: robyn-carr
One of my favorite authors, but the only book of hers I was ready to be finished with. I just wanted to slap the heroine.
Tracy Solomon
Apr 03, 2016 Tracy Solomon rated it it was amazing
Great book

Loved it! Its great to read something that lets us heat about God and aha t wonderful things he does.
Cindy
Jun 30, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: a-b-c
Joe and Beverly

This was a fairly good book, just not as good as her later ones. It is the story of a young widow denying her love for her minister, and eventually admitting it.
Michael Hare
Michael Hare rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2016
Michelle Malcom
Michelle Malcom rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Ann Miller
Ann Miller rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Mrsk327
Mrsk327 rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Shirley Miller
Shirley Miller rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
  • To Mother with Love
  • Norah (The McKades of Texas, #2)
  • The Wren (Wings of the West, #1)
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
  • Love and Cherish
  • A Lone Star Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Close to You (O'Neil Brothers #2)
  • Beneath Montana's Sky (Mail-Order Brides of the West, #0.5; Montana Sky, #0.5)
  • Heartache Falls (Eternity Springs, #3)
  • The Prodigal Comes Home (Mirror Lake, #3)
  • What to Do About Annie?
  • Winter Affair
  • Waking Up in Charleston (The Charleston Trilogy, #3)
  • Nate (Rock Creek Six, #5)
  • Home to Stay
  • Unlikely Hero (The Flanagans, #2)
  • L.A. Caveman
  • Love Sex Again: A Gynecologist Finally Fixes the Issues That Are Sabotaging Your Sex Life
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.

RWA's Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award recipient 2016