Start by marking “How Our Children Come to Faith (Basics of the Reformed Faith)” as Want to Read:
How Our Children Come to Faith (Basics of the Reformed Faith)

How Our Children Come to Faith (Basics of the Faith)

How Our Children Come to Faith (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
Published January 10th 2012 by Presbyterian and Reformed (first published January 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How Our Children Come to Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Our Children Come to Faith

Brad
Aug 20, 2013 Brad rated it liked it
Three short chapters:
"Bringing Our Children to Christ"
"You Must Be Born Again"
"The Conversion of Our Children"

Each short chapter ends with a brief section for discussion and reflection.

Paedobaptist in perspective, but generally charitably nuanced as seen when he writes: "The inward conviction by parents that our children are gifts *from* God and *for* God is not limited to those who practice infant baptism" (p7).

Two quotations give the author's emphasis:
1) "The heart of the matter is that we pa
Jeremy
Feb 01, 2012 Jeremy rated it really liked it
This is a very good brief on the reformed understanding of how children raised in believing homes come to Christ. Not that there is a different pathway, but the pamphlet helps to distinguish between regeneration and conversion, and underscores that parents must be active in praying for and nurturing their children in the word. It also recognizes that not everyone is going to have a "turn or burn" dramatic testimony, but that those quiet and peaceful confessions must be validated as well.
Wade
May 02, 2015 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This is a really helpful, and Biblical, short booklet about what it looks like for Christian parents to bring their children to Jesus. Smallman makes a very clear distinction between regeneration and conversion. He also makes it clear that children who grow up in a covenant family do not always have as clear of a “conversion story” as someone who comes to faith as an adult. Children of believers need to be converted, but it is important to not describe conversion as first-and-foremost an ...more
Mark A Powell
Sep 08, 2016 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
When Christians have children, how are we to understand the relationship between those children and the church? Teaching from a covenantal perspective, Smallman discusses that relationship in this booklet, arguing that children of believers should be baptized because of their standing in their parents’ community of faith. Much is to be commended in Smallman’s sincerity and conviction. While I disagree with the majority of his conclusions, he nevertheless presents his point of view consistently ...more
Gavin Breeden
Jan 18, 2013 Gavin Breeden rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Very helpful booklet explaining the Reformed-Presbyterian position on how God works covenantally in families. He touches on baptism, faith, and conversion briefly while pointing out the many promises that God makes in the Bible to believers and their children. Definitely a book I'd give out to parents with questions and parents without questions, for that matter.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2016
Jason Garwood
Jason Garwood rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Mike Jorgensen
Mike Jorgensen rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Diana Meredith
Diana Meredith rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Kelvin
Kelvin rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 18, 2009 Steve Hemmeke rated it liked it
Pretty good
Angie D
Angie D rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2007
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Yha
Yha rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Micah Neely
Micah Neely rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Aaron Cerda
Aaron Cerda rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Kendall
Kendall rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2009
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2010
Livi
Livi added it
Feb 03, 2012
Francis
Francis marked it as to-read
May 27, 2012
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Larue
Larue added it
Sep 19, 2012
Trey
Trey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Stacy
Stacy added it
Feb 22, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 16, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Dan
Dan added it
Jun 02, 2015
Ryan Grooms
Ryan Grooms marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016

Stephen Smallman has served for over forty years in pastoral ministry and was the executive director of World Harvest Mission (now Serge). He currently teaches for CityNet Ministries of Philadelphia and is an assistant pastor of New Life Presbyterian Church in Glenside, Pennsylvania.
More about Stephen Smallman...

Basics of the Faith (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • What Is Regeneration? (Basics of the Faith)
  • Am I Called?
  • What Are Election and Predestination? (Basics of the Faith) (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
  • What Happens After Death?
  • What Is a True Calvinist?
  • What Is Biblical Preaching? (Basics Of The Faith)
  • What Is a Reformed Church?
  • What Are Spiritual Gifts?
  • Is Jesus in the Old Testament?
  • How Do We Glorify God? (Basics of the Faith) (Basics of the Reformed Faith)