The Cannibal Galaxy

The Cannibal Galaxy

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Her second novel. In a 1999 interview, David Foster Wallace stated, "I regard Cynthia Ozick, Cormac McCarthy and Don DeLillo as pretty much the country's best living fiction writers."
Published August 12th 1983 by Knopf (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Cannibal Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cannibal Galaxy

Daryl
I think the thing I most like about Ozick is that she writes in a way that seems erudite but not in a way that makes me feel stupid. Although I suspect there's more structured meaning and a great deal more nuance in a book like this than I'm equipped to discover, I find that I feel reasonably smart when reading it, which is a nice feeling. She also writes stories that I could never have imagined anybody would have conceived of writing, which is not to say that they're necessarily fantastical (we...more
Katherine
“But Europe’s old puddle lapped at the isles of Greece, and at Italy’s wrinkly boot-snout, and at Jaffa, that regretful port-town Jonah’s ship left behind, and, especially, at the hot mellow underskirt of France, the carnival city of Nice” (17).
“They brought him a radio; he could listen, if he liked, to the war. There was only one electrical outlet: it was either the lamp or the radio. In the blackness he heard the ranting against the Jews and preferred the lamp…” (26).
“This was a marvel, that t...more
Dov
Truly brilliant. Not a perfect novel -- at times it feels more like a kind of botched and comic eaves-dropping, a not-fully-accomplished exploration of the lives of two characters and their intersections. This is not a novel about education, not a philosophy of what happens when secular and religious education come together. This is a terribly important and beautiful song to the battered, emerging soul. How does a soul exist after a prolonged trauma that leaves a certain kind of long, emotional...more
This didn't hit me the way The Shawl did, but it is beautifully written.
Aaron

This is a really interesting story about a principal of a Jewish Day School in "middle" America. He's had a Very unique upbringing, and his philosophy on life is simply fascinating.
Kendal
Kendal marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Stacia
Stacia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
David Connerley Nahm
David Connerley Nahm marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jac Jones
Jac Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Lawrence
Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Jun 01, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Malica
Malica added it
Apr 06, 2014
Laura Hoffman-hernandez
Laura Hoffman-hernandez marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Susan Lester
Susan Lester marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Syd
Syd marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Skiboltskie
Skiboltskie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg...more
More about Cynthia Ozick...
The Shawl Foreign Bodies Heir to the Glimmering World The Puttermesser Papers The Messiah of Stockholm