Start by marking “The Cannibal Galaxy” as Want to Read:
The Cannibal Galaxy

The Cannibal Galaxy

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Her second novel. In a 1999 interview, David Foster Wallace stated, "I regard Cynthia Ozick, Cormac McCarthy and Don DeLillo as pretty much the country's best living fiction writers."
Published August 12th 1983 by Knopf (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Cannibal Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cannibal Galaxy

Truly brilliant. Not a perfect novel -- at times it feels more like a kind of botched and comic eaves-dropping, a not-fully-accomplished exploration of the lives of two characters and their intersections. This is not a novel about education, not a philosophy of what happens when secular and religious education come together. This is a terribly important and beautiful song to the battered, emerging soul. How does a soul exist after a prolonged trauma that leaves a certain kind of long, emotional ...more
I think the thing I most like about Ozick is that she writes in a way that seems erudite but not in a way that makes me feel stupid. Although I suspect there's more structured meaning and a great deal more nuance in a book like this than I'm equipped to discover, I find that I feel reasonably smart when reading it, which is a nice feeling. She also writes stories that I could never have imagined anybody would have conceived of writing, which is not to say that they're necessarily fantastical (we ...more
This didn't hit me the way The Shawl did, but it is beautifully written.
“But Europe’s old puddle lapped at the isles of Greece, and at Italy’s wrinkly boot-snout, and at Jaffa, that regretful port-town Jonah’s ship left behind, and, especially, at the hot mellow underskirt of France, the carnival city of Nice” (17).
“They brought him a radio; he could listen, if he liked, to the war. There was only one electrical outlet: it was either the lamp or the radio. In the blackness he heard the ranting against the Jews and preferred the lamp…” (26).
“This was a marvel, that t
for me there is just something engaging about reading about schools and teachers - even when they are not overwhelmingly successful because what is success anyway?

This is a really interesting story about a principal of a Jewish Day School in "middle" America. He's had a Very unique upbringing, and his philosophy on life is simply fascinating.
Brittney marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Ahmed H. Mansour marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
TK421 marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Monique marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
May marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Josh Wildie
Josh Wildie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Ellie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Radz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Joaquin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Cady marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Milenko marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Haruto marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • Jews, God, and History
  • Unscrolled: 54 Writers and Artists Wrestle with the Torah
  • The Path of Names
  • Surprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...