Start by marking “The Cannibal Galaxy” as Want to Read:
The Cannibal Galaxy

The Cannibal Galaxy

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Her second novel. In a 1999 interview, David Foster Wallace stated, "I regard Cynthia Ozick, Cormac McCarthy and Don DeLillo as pretty much the country's best living fiction writers."
Published August 12th 1983 by Knopf (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Cannibal Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cannibal Galaxy

Dov
Jan 17, 2011 Dov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly brilliant. Not a perfect novel -- at times it feels more like a kind of botched and comic eaves-dropping, a not-fully-accomplished exploration of the lives of two characters and their intersections. This is not a novel about education, not a philosophy of what happens when secular and religious education come together. This is a terribly important and beautiful song to the battered, emerging soul. How does a soul exist after a prolonged trauma that leaves a certain kind of long, emotional ...more
Deborah Feingold
Spencer
Nov 29, 2015 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When my sophomore English class read "A Separate Peace," our teacher explained that the author John Knowles wrote the book as a sort of lab experiment, creating a novel that could teach students how to identify and analyze tricky figurative concepts like symbol and theme (apologies to Knowles, this may or may not be true). Maybe he only told us this so we'd stop questioning everything he was trying to teach us, but the idea of easy "right" answers tucked throughout the book made me hate it; I th ...more
Noah
Aug 22, 2016 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up off my parent's bookshelf because it was appealingly slim, had a good title and a famous author. I didn't really know what to expect, but I knew that Ozick was a New Yorker, very Jewish in her writing, and had a brutal and funny own of Norman Mailer's sexism that had circulated the Internet. I was picturing something like E.L. Doctorow - high-quality New York immigrant life.

But this book is as small and hard and cold and cutting as a diamond. It's deeply intellectual, taki
Daryl
Aug 17, 2014 Daryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the thing I most like about Ozick is that she writes in a way that seems erudite but not in a way that makes me feel stupid. Although I suspect there's more structured meaning and a great deal more nuance in a book like this than I'm equipped to discover, I find that I feel reasonably smart when reading it, which is a nice feeling. She also writes stories that I could never have imagined anybody would have conceived of writing, which is not to say that they're necessarily fantastical (we ...more
Dec 31, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This didn't hit me the way The Shawl did, but it is beautifully written.
Katherine
Jul 03, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
“But Europe’s old puddle lapped at the isles of Greece, and at Italy’s wrinkly boot-snout, and at Jaffa, that regretful port-town Jonah’s ship left behind, and, especially, at the hot mellow underskirt of France, the carnival city of Nice” (17).
“They brought him a radio; he could listen, if he liked, to the war. There was only one electrical outlet: it was either the lamp or the radio. In the blackness he heard the ranting against the Jews and preferred the lamp…” (26).
“This was a marvel, that t
Mary
Oct 09, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for me there is just something engaging about reading about schools and teachers - even when they are not overwhelmingly successful because what is success anyway?
Aaron
Jun 10, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a really interesting story about a principal of a Jewish Day School in "middle" America. He's had a Very unique upbringing, and his philosophy on life is simply fascinating.
Chawki  aouina
Chawki aouina marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Mark S
Mark S marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Ida Daadidaa
Ida Daadidaa rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
Saptarshi
Saptarshi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Zach Zane
Zach Zane marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Zachary Solomon
Zachary Solomon rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Alanna
Alanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Rim
Rim marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Gianfranco Ruffini
Gianfranco Ruffini marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Zulema
Zulema marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Droplet
Droplet marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Laia
Laia marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
  • Jews, God, and History
  • Unscrolled: 54 Writers and Artists Wrestle with the Torah
  • Jurgen
  • The Path of Names
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...