Start by marking “The Cannibal Galaxy” as Want to Read:
The Cannibal Galaxy

The Cannibal Galaxy

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Her second novel. In a 1999 interview, David Foster Wallace stated, "I regard Cynthia Ozick, Cormac McCarthy and Don DeLillo as pretty much the country's best living fiction writers."
Published August 12th 1983 by Knopf (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Cannibal Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cannibal Galaxy

Dov
Truly brilliant. Not a perfect novel -- at times it feels more like a kind of botched and comic eaves-dropping, a not-fully-accomplished exploration of the lives of two characters and their intersections. This is not a novel about education, not a philosophy of what happens when secular and religious education come together. This is a terribly important and beautiful song to the battered, emerging soul. How does a soul exist after a prolonged trauma that leaves a certain kind of long, emotional ...more
Daryl
I think the thing I most like about Ozick is that she writes in a way that seems erudite but not in a way that makes me feel stupid. Although I suspect there's more structured meaning and a great deal more nuance in a book like this than I'm equipped to discover, I find that I feel reasonably smart when reading it, which is a nice feeling. She also writes stories that I could never have imagined anybody would have conceived of writing, which is not to say that they're necessarily fantastical (we ...more
This didn't hit me the way The Shawl did, but it is beautifully written.
Katherine
“But Europe’s old puddle lapped at the isles of Greece, and at Italy’s wrinkly boot-snout, and at Jaffa, that regretful port-town Jonah’s ship left behind, and, especially, at the hot mellow underskirt of France, the carnival city of Nice” (17).
“They brought him a radio; he could listen, if he liked, to the war. There was only one electrical outlet: it was either the lamp or the radio. In the blackness he heard the ranting against the Jews and preferred the lamp…” (26).
“This was a marvel, that t
Aaron

This is a really interesting story about a principal of a Jewish Day School in "middle" America. He's had a Very unique upbringing, and his philosophy on life is simply fascinating.
Radz
Radz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Joaquin
Joaquin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Cady
Cady marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
David Goodman
David Goodman marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Christine Foulkes
Christine Foulkes marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Milenko
Milenko marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Haruto
Haruto marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Samo Osama
Samo Osama marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rachel Thomas
Rachel Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Carmen Hernandez
Carmen Hernandez marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jen Klug
Jen Klug marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Maria Roma
Maria Roma marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Marlen
Marlen marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Lotte
Lotte marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • Family and Friends
  • Hunters and Gatherers
  • The Path of Names
  • Impressionism: Art, Leisure, and Parisian Society
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...
The Shawl Foreign Bodies Heir to the Glimmering World The Puttermesser Papers The Messiah of Stockholm