Start by marking “The Tracey Fragments” as Want to Read:
The Tracey Fragments

The Tracey Fragments

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Naked under a tattered shower curtain, 15-year-old Tracey Berkowitz sits at the back of a bus and tells us her story. Through storms of the mind and climate, Tracey confesses her hopes and fantasies, as well as the grief and horror of a difficult upbringing. She soon begins to intertwine truth with lies and suddenly we discover that she has taken us in with the games and d ...more
Published November 28th 2007 by House of Anansi Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Tracey Fragments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tracey Fragments

Claudia
Dec 29, 2008 Claudia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my girls will get this one
Recommended to Claudia by: Lauren
I borrowed this for an hour from a student; it's going to be a good one. She says it's the most important book she's read.

This is the most original voice I've read in a long time. The actual plot involves Tracey searching for her brother who's lost; but the narrative is much more than this...the ravings of a youngster who may be mentally ill, old family stories, the incredible angst of a teenager forced to live with parents she doesn't get -- who don't get her...and a third-person narrative of a
Bri
Tracey can be really confusing at times. I think she is in desperate need of help. Her third person point of view is more honest than her tracey point of view. She is seriously in mental pain. she makes you want to help her, I cried when she explained certain thing.

This is a very powerful book. I recomend to all!
Denise
Valentina
The book is great. Although, yes it may be a little confusing because it is told in fragments... but it does have a story. The story of Tracey Berkowitz, a fifteen year old girl, who doesn't even understand herself. It starts with her looking for her lost brother, and the end... it tells HOW and WHY she lost her brother that one fateful winter day.

The book is fantastic, I recommend it highly.

maggie
"One day you fall for this boy. And he touches you with his fingers. And he burns holes in your skin with his mouth. And it hurts when you look at him. And it hurts when you don’t. And it feels like someone’s cut you open with a jagged piece of glass." How perfect.
Molly
Confusing and fragmented; Real or not real. Even though this book made me feel like I might just be going crazy along with Tracey, there was just something about it. At times, I had no idea what was going on and I was horribly confused, but I just couldn't put it down.
Taylor Lass
This is the review of the book Tracy Fragments written by Maureen Medved, copyright date of 2007.

In the psychotic mind of 15 year old girl, Tracy Berkowitz. You follow her journey of trying to fight through a blizzard that has swept her town while trying to look for her little brother who she fears may have hypnotized as a dog.

The book was quite confusing to start with but if you thought about it as it was all in her imagination it seemed to make sense. The book is read through her point of vi
Aphrodite Mind
The fact that I spent more than the cost of five novels to get a first-run copy of this book says something. The fact that I don't regret it says something else entirely.
Issaoh
Jan 31, 2009 Issaoh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I SO WANNA READ THIS BOOK!! the movie was damn awesome, just a bit annoying in the way it was filmed, but other than that, AWESOME!!
Brett Starr
Dsyfunctional.... is what best describes "The Tracey Fragments"!

Tracey Berkowitz's life is confusing, yet very interesting!

The book is Tracey's mind racing from story to story, situation to situation, all the fragments of her so called life!

The book is full crazy rants and unforgettable prose, these two were my favorites-

"When a horse falls, foam comes out of its mouth. When it falls, the legs of the horse thrash and the horse is no good, so somebody shoots the horse. The horse turns into gl
Maggy
They don't know how the knives in my skull carve tunnels to other places

I'm a pretty enthusiastic person and that means I catch myself saying THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ too often. However now, it's serious. Not only is it the best book I've read, it's the most important and most inspiring. I feel like the only way to show you is to type out every single page into this box but it's probably easier if you just go and read it yourself.

Around me people always breathe through their mouths
Joseph Mumford
Narrative is CRAZY. But I like it.

It actually makes sense in the context of the story and conveys how disjointed Tracey's mind is.

Heartbreaking and powerful tale.

Some gorgeous language and lovely bits of prose.

“When a horse falls, foam comes out of its mouth. When it falls, the legs of the horse thrash and the horse is no good... So somebody shoots it. The horse turns into glue. A machine puts the glue into bottles and children squeeze the bottles to get the glue out and stick bits of paper on
Stina
Feb 16, 2011 Stina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mostly young girls with a sense of the bizarre world
Shelves: ya, books-i-own
The language in this book was amazing! Like a poet thought out every word in prose. As if every single sentence was carefully matched with the exactly right words (that would make you understand absolutely nothing)
Probably the weirdest book I've ever read. I saw the movie before I read the book and I decided I should read the book to try and figure out what on earth the movie is all about.. Well... At least having seen the movie meant I wasn't clueless on the book.. (look at me rambling on - THI
Kate
This is really called Tracey Fragments for a reason: it's really fragmented! Its nice because it's a short read and fairly quick to get through (some pages only have 2 or 3 sentences on them) but it's annoying because it's hard to understand what's really going on in the book. I also didn't like how you don't really know what she is imagining and what is really happening in the novel like the whole thing with her "boyfriend" Billy Speed, was he or wasn't he attached to her? Since the fragments b ...more
Claire
I absolutely love this book, it moves me in ways I can't describe. I find myself laughing and crying every time I read it. I can relate my own life to the story in many ways, so it's very touching for me. Its hard to grasp at times, but I think in the end it's well worth it. I love reading different peoples interpretations of the story, even those who say they hate it. It's such a rare story in the way it gives merciless and raw descriptions of bullies and mental illness. Topics that most author ...more
Ali Adenwala
Probably the most disturbing book I’ve ever read.
The best part of this book was its language, which was sometimes breathtaking and unforgettable, and I loved the way it was written, but for some reason this book disappointed me. It was short, and nothing really happened the whole way through. It had no climax. No real plot line. Just fragments of Tracey’s broken mind which puts together a story we already know.

So the three stars mostly comes from the language Medved uses, which was pretty ama
Hannah
I believe that Medved wanted to place the reader directly inside of Tracey's mind, which is a crazy and confusing place. I watched the movie first and I believe that helped me to better understand what was going on. Tracey is a lonely girl who manipulates the truth. She's riding on a bus and telling her story through flashbacks, but these flashbacks are like a puzzle, you have to figure out what order they should be in, as well as what piece is true and what piece isn't.
Natasha
This is an amazing book! Medved writes of a girl's experience as a teenager in a real and resonating voice. It gives important insight into the problems that girls have to deal with, and the expectations put upon them.

Tracey herself is a really interesting character, and I love the diasporic connection that she forms in her mind with her grandma Baba.

Overall, it is one of the best books I've ever read, and very unique.
Leah Horlick
It's hard to say that I "liked" this book, as I found it difficult to read on account of the subject matter. That being said, I really appreciated the fragmented writing style, and the character's voice, as well as narrative about her grandmother woven within the stories. Maureen Medved will be teaching the fiction class I'm enrolled in this fall, and I'm really looking forward to working with her after reading this novel.
Amber
Yes, this was a short book, but this was such a HARD read. The Tracey Fragments is too confusing. I understand it is meant to be the mind of a girl falling apart... But this was too much. It was a huge let down considering I had been waiting to read this one for so long. On Amazon, this one was always a higher priced used book, so I assumed it was a good one. Wrong.
Patrick
I sped through this one in just a couple of pre-bedtime sittings. Although putting all the pieces together is entertaining, and it seems like Medved is going for an emotional punch at the end, the climax falls a little flat. I'm still extremely curious to see how this will be translated into the film version that comes out soon.
Maureen
Wanted to read this before watching the film, but now I'm worried the film will be too dark for my tastes. Beautifully written, in a poetic Daphne Marlatt sort of way. Depressing, but with a glimmer of hope at the end.
Morgan
Beautifully written, but if I hadn't watched the movie before reading the book I wouldn't have understood what was going on. Was a bit repetitive at times. Confusing.
Gloria
Sep 24, 2007 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys experimental twentieth-century writing.
Breathtaking.
One of those books that might seem like complete garbage to one person, but the most beautiful literary work to the next.
Liam Card
I love Maureen's writing style and the clear, authentic voice of Tracey. You will devour this book. I read it in one sitting.
Wren Murray
this book was insane and crazy and i just didn't enjoy it. i couldn't keep up with anything the author wrote.
Christine Labelle
Meh. I felt it jumped all over a lot. I'll be more excited to see the movie when it comes out.
Carissa Thrush
This book confused me. I loved it.
Lyddie
An unusually captivating book...
Izza
I was kinda disappointed tbh
  • Mouthing the Words
  • Everything: A Book About Manic Street Preachers
  • I Was a Teenage Worrier
  • Lil BUB's Lil Book: The Extraordinary Life of the Most Amazing Cat on the Planet
  • Caught Screaming
  • Sade: A Biography
  • The Great Perhaps
  • Knock On Any Door
  • Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius

“One day you fall for this boy. And he touches you with his fingers. And he burns holes in your skin with his mouth. And it hurts when you look at him. And it hurts when you don’t. And it feels like someone’s cut you open with a jagged piece of glass.” 311 likes
“He'll pinch a cigarette between his fingers. He'll take a drag, blow that drag between his lips. He'll look at the firl with eyes the colour of the sky before it turns black and he will see heaven, and the pictures of all those other girls floating inside his head will blow away like the clouds of the cigarette and he'll see only the girl inside himself and the world will stop.” 26 likes