Start by marking “Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  362,677 ratings  ·  15,039 reviews
Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome--and Sookie can't hear a word ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Ace Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Until Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Until Dark

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterFallen by Lauren KateVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
If You Liked Twilight...
27th out of 305 books — 342 voters
Beyond the World of Man by Sheryl SealAmong the Shrouded by Amalie JahnBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealThe Witches of Snyder Farms by Lenora HensonThe Wicked Garden by Lenora Henson
Books With Supernatural Females
28th out of 380 books — 202 voters

More lists with this book...

Vanessa
After reading a succession of more serious books, I felt the need to read something light and trashy. As I discovered from reading this book, you should be careful what you wish for. Light? Yes. Trashy? Oh yes. Oh yes, yes, yes. But not in a good way - just trash, trash, trash.

It is hard to say what I disliked more about this book - the sophomoric writing, or the annoying, vapid, 2-d, Harlequin-romance-heroine-helpless-twit persona of Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie is a psychic, and this fact is used
The first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I confess - I picked this up at the bookstore for a few reasons:
1. The cover was sparkly and I liked the art.
2. Vampires! Having spent a huge chunk of my youth hoping the vampires in Anne Rice's novels would knock on my window late at night (shut-up, like you didn't???) I have been looking for the next Brad Pitt with fangs. (shut-up, like you aren't???)

And yeah. That was all it took. Sparkles and vampires - SOLD.

I opened up the book and kinda reg
Trin
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'd never heard of these books until a few months ago, and as usual, once one person recommends them, everyone seems to be talking about them, you see them everywhere, and you get curious. They're in the fantasy section, though for some bizarre reason I was under the impression, at first, that they were YA and silly. They are fun, but they are definitely for adults. The vampire/mystery style reminds me of the one Anita Blake book I read, the first one, which was horrible (can't say that enough t ...more
Demo
Jun 12, 2012 Demo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Demo by: 10 Year old Stupidity
Some people have asked me why I never read Adult Paranormal Romance books.

Well, TrueBlood is the reason why. Read on, if you feel like snorting with pity-laughter.

Damn. I wish I could explain why I had to give this book a one star rating without sounding lame as hell. Because really, it was a stupid reason, one that only I would run into, and I'm 98% certain many of you will roll your eyes at me.

But I'm going to be honest. Because I'm nothing if not a truthful person. Ahaha, that's a total lie.

T
Emily May

I started reading this series because I was currently watching True Blood and had developed a slight obsession with Eric. Since then, the books have become an absolute guilty pleasure of mine. They are not the best written and occasionally we get a little too much of what we don't care for (i.e. fairies and shifters) but amid the hot vamp sex and murder mysteries... who really notices those anyway??

Most characters have both annoying and redeeming qualities, but this is good - I never did like th
Vampire Lady
Dec 08, 2007 Vampire Lady rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naive twenty-somethings who don't know good writing if it hit them upside the head
When I first read the premise for the book, I thought it was slightly intriguing. Nothing I would rush out to get and read right away, but still enough for me to put on my list of to-read. Now that I've read it, I want my brain back. I like the idea that vampires are a known part of the human world. I really do. I liked Sam, about the only character in the entire book I did like, and how Harris explained him. I just think it took to long for her to reveal it all and to get her point across.

I lov
Annie
Let's get one thing straight...Sookie Stackhouse is no Bella Swan. You may have read the myriad reviews that list the similarities between Charlaine Harris's novels and the Twilight Saga and I can assure you that most of them are true. Harris refers to her vampires 'glowing', Bill drinks synthetic blood, Sookie can read minds...the list goes on and on.

But after finishing this book, what I can assure you is that in so many ways these books are so completely different that they bear no comparison.
Buggy
Opening Line:"I'd been waiting for the Vampire for years when he walked into the bar."

I must be one of the last people on the planet to read Dead After Dark. I also haven’t had a chance (yet) to watch True Blood, although because it’s been all over the media I had a pretty good visual reference for the characters here without actually having to compare the two. I was able to just go along for the ride. And what a ride, I can definitely see now what all the fuss has been about.

Honestly I had a h
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
So, what can I say? I enjoyed the book, but in a guilty pleasures, sort of embarrassed to admit kind of way. Let's admit it - this is hardly well written, but it's quick and light and fun, and there's something to be said for that.

That said, I didn't really like Sookie's voice. I found it rather irritating right from the start. And the dialogue - ugh, who talks like that? And if people really do talk like that, then I'm glad I don't know them.

And there's not much character development to speak o
Scott Sigler
First off, paranormal fiction of any stripe really isn't my bag. I'm more of a hard-science/horror, horror/thriller kind of a guy.

I'm a big fan of the TRUE BLOOD television series. My wife tricked me into watching it, because I was convinced I "couldn't possibly like yet another kissy-vampire show." Well, I was wrong; I got hooked on the campy fun of TRUE BLOOD right off the bat.

Since I'm an author and have high hopes of seeing one of my own books turned into a series someday, I picked up the
Jess
Feb 15, 2009 Jess rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nope
Recommended to Jess by: previews of True Blood and Casey's rave review
Vampires--now recognized by the government as virus ridden people--have come to Bon Temps and that's just fine with Sookie Stackhouse. These murders, however, have got to stop.

How can a book including a vampire, a mind-reading waitress, and at least four murders be so boring? (I was going to use suck but this book doesn't deserve that pun.)

Least sexy vampire ever. He's in love...maybe? I don't know. I can't tell. I'm not sure he has a personality. The girl is annoyingly naive about odd things a
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
2015 Buddy read (re-read for me) starting Monday, December 29th! With Sarah, Karly, Carole, Kristin (when we get to book 3), Kelly (when we get to book 4), Jess, and Catherine.

Anybody else want to join?

I have two words for you. ERIC NORTHMAN.

RandomAnthony
Notes from the reviewer's internal dialogue before reviewing this book

You want to say this is, if not the worst book you’ve ever read, one of the worst. Is your assertion accurate or are you engaging in hyperbole?

I believe this is one of the worst books I have ever read. I didn’t finish, giving up at the 60% mark, but I stand by the statement under the assumption that the author didn’t turn into Shakespeare in the book’s final third. The last book I read that even approached this nadir was some
Kay
Mar 30, 2012 Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fangbangers
Recommended to Kay by: it first started with anne rice...

I'll admit it. After the watching the first season of True Blood a year ago, I picked up this book with some expectations: that it has (1) a lot of sex, (2) a lot of gore, (3) a lot of wild personalities and (4) never-ending hilarities à la Jason's experience with V in the first season.

[All illustrations of #4 removed for overt sexuality and dangerously addicting laughing spells for those inclined toward stupid humor, like I am]

What did I get?

A naive southern waitress with very stilted sense of
Beth F.
Even though Bon Temps, Louisiana ain’t urban by any stretch of the imagination, I would still classify this book as urban fantasy. So if you enjoyed popular series such as The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and/or The Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K. Hamilton, you might want to give Sookie Stackhouse a try.

I’m a fan of both and Sookie’s series has been on my to-read list for at least a year at the time I write this. I’ll admit the reason I hadn’t picked this series up sooner is bec
Trina
Let me start off by saying I am not a prude. I may live in Utah. I may have only kissed one man in my life- but I have no problem with a little sex in a book. This went far beyond that. To the point that the story was no longer the story of clairvoyant girl meets vampire and they try to catch serial killer together. The story quickly became girl and vampire have sex together a lot. That bugged me. Rather than being interesting or even exciting- it was boring. Sex does not a plot make. The story ...more
Stephanie
Oh, where to begin with this book...

I have read some truly atrocious writing, but this is by far the worst I have ever read.
Not for content or context (though ridiculous as it was), but for the actual writing itself.
Horrible!

Right from the start, the author bombards you with trivial descriptions. Hurriedly she lets you know what everyone in town looks like by comparing in pairs; for each person introduced, they are only described by being compare/contrasted to the next person she introduces.
Also
Keely
Alaine
This book is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. It has comedy, suspense, romance and fantasy! What more could you possibly want? Clearly the author has a very twisted sense of humour which I loved! There was one 'incident/character' that had me laughing so hard I nearly fell of my chair!
At this point I should say that I'm not a huge Vampire fan and I've only recently come to the Paranormal Romance sub genre. I've read and loved the Twilight series but when characters of Twilight
Michael
It has been said (I would tell you by who, but that would involve actual research) that Tolkein's most important contribution to literature is the Hobbit. (The race. Not the kid's book.) That said, I will with much pomp and ostentatiousness, say Charlaine Harris's biggest contribution to modern literature will be the Fangbanger. (Yes, I just compared Harris to Tolkein, in addition to totally exploiting the parentheses.)

I don't want to waste time telling you the storyline because you know it: st
Csquared
Wow, these are shocking in how poorly they're written. Yet, I can't put them down. At the very least they're entertaining, quick reads. I'm currently on the fourth in the Sookie Stackhouse series and "Dead Until Dark" has not been my favorite. Perhaps that's because after seeing the HBO show, hence knowing the storyline and ending, all I was left with was the terrible editing, under-developed story and repetitive content. Oh and the sex too. I'm enjoying the other books in this series alot more ...more
Amanda
Sep 22, 2013 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
Recommended to Amanda by: HBO (inadvertently)
Shelves: bloodsuckers, blog
I read this book after getting hooked on HBO's True Blood. Despite having seen them in bookstores, I had avoided picking one up until then because, based upon the inexplicably cartoonish cover, I assumed they were some more young adult vampire nonsense. Clearly, that was a misguided marketing ploy.

It's hard to say what I really thought of the book because season 1 of True Blood is based on Dead Until Dark; as a result, all suspense of who did it and why was gone. However, I enjoyed the book far
Lori
Nov 19, 2008 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of A.Lee Martinez, Christopher Moore, Odd Thomas Series...
Recommended to Lori by: Logan
Shelves: fiction
Ok.
This novel has taught me to Never.Ever.Ever. judge a book by its cover Ever.Ever. again!

I would see these books all over Borders and Barnes and Nobles and never give them a second glance.

Not because it was sci-fi (which I like). Not because it was Vampire sci-fi (which I like). But because of the super cheesy covers and the super cheesy titles.

Logan, I am thanking you for picking this book up and for recommending it to me.

One of THE best female lead characters I have ever read. Ever. Very
Jen (Red Hot Books)
If you’ve learned everything you know about Sookie Stackhouse from watching True Blood, you are missing out in a big way. Yeah, yeah, there is definitely something to be said about the joys of watching Alexander Skarsgard brood and wear muscle shirts. But the books put the tv series to shame. The biggest difference is that these books are all first-person Sookie. Everything is about her and the world from her perspective. (Most of the more ridiculous subplots of the series don’t even exist in th ...more
Rosa
I started reading these books because of the show on HBO, which I find somewhat uneven in tone, but mostly enjoyable in execution and very interesting in terms of its premise. Because I was so intrigued by the premise, I figured I'd dig the books. They have not disappointed me. I find them dangerously cheesy at times (not just all the love scenes, which are rendered in a way that always makes me feel like Fabio should be posing on the cover, but also the minute descriptions of Sookie's attire - ...more
oOSarahOo
Buddy read with Shelly, Carole, Evgeny, Karly, Jess, Allison, Catherine & Monty Cupcake starting December 29.

Anyone else want to join? No? Really? Are you really sure about that? Just making sure. The alpha seems to be pretty hot. Still not joining?
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.9* of five

The Publisher Says: Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome--and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life....

Bu
Joyzi
Dec 27, 2010 Joyzi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind crappy writing
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
trueblood Pictures, Images and Photos

Look for the CRAB!

C
rachel
Potential readers of this series should know the following facts about Bill and Sookie's first sex scene (because I believe that it is your reaction to these facts that determines whether or not you will enjoy this series):

1.) The sex happens on Sookie's dead grandmother's bed, within ten pages of Sookie finding her grandmother violently murdered on her kitchen floor.

2.) Sookie is a human virgin. Bill has superhuman strength and prowess. Somehow their first time having sex is simultaneously fan
Sex in vampire novels 22 330 Nov 10, 2014 05:45PM
How do you feel about True Blood ending? 98 523 Sep 28, 2014 12:33PM
True Blood TV series love it or hate it? 893 2122 Sep 28, 2014 12:22PM
Blood/Mainstreaming READERS OF OTHER VAMPIRE NOVELS 1 51 Jun 30, 2014 09:06AM
Joyce's Reading Log: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 1 3 May 17, 2014 01:26PM
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey: Guardian, #4)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...
Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)

“Woo woo, secret vampire stuff!” 226 likes
“I snuck a look to see how Eric was taking this, and he was staring at me the same way the Monroe vampires had. Thoughtful. Hungry.
"That's interesting," he said. "I had a psychic once. It was incredible."
"Did the psychic think so?”
182 likes