Start by marking “Poems, 1965-1975” as Want to Read:
Poems, 1965-1975

Poems, 1965-1975

This volume gathers nearly all of the poems from Heaney's first four collections: Death of a Naturalist (1966), Door into the Dark (1969), Wintering Out (1972), and North (1975).
Published October 1st 1981 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Poems, 1965-1975, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems, 1965-1975

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
289th out of 1,719 books — 1,889 voters
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas AdamsThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelFirestarter by Stephen KingCosmos by Carl Sagan
Best books of 1980
69th out of 74 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

J. Aleksandr Wootton
Jun 16, 2012 J. Aleksandr Wootton rated it really liked it
I have been a long time at this one.

This is in part because, right up until the end, I made a purely arbitrary 'policy' of only reading this collection whilst aboard an airplane (a condition I don't often find myself in), but more because Heaney's work is beyond me about as often as it is not.

I should point out that I am not one of those people who extols a writer because one is supposed to. Critics are taken in at least as easily as the masses - indeed I think 'common sense' hits closer to the
Scott Cox
Jan 18, 2016 Scott Cox rated it really liked it
This collection of poems by Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney contains some of his best poetry. My favorite set is the famous “Death of a Naturalist” poems. Listen to these lines found in the opening poem, “The cold smell of potato mould, the squelch and slap of soggy peat, the curt cuts of an edge through living roots awaken in my head. But I’ve no spade to follow men like them. Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I’ll dig with it” (“Digging”).
David Campton
Mar 03, 2013 David Campton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Returned to this recently after about 20 years. It is a distillation by Heaney himself from his earlier anthologies. At their best some of these poems both inspire me to write more and better poetry, and also convince me that my efforts are not worthy of being called poetry. I prefer the more biographical ones, towards the beginning and end of the anthology, steeped in a rural life that has echoes of my father's upbringing, with overtones of the troubles and the tensions that underpinned them pe ...more
Jessica Bang
Aug 07, 2014 Jessica Bang rated it liked it
I really like the poems from the first two collections ("Death of a Naturalist" and " Door into the Dark"), but the later poems were much harder to appreciate because of my lack of knowledge in the themes depicted.
Jim
Apr 26, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, irish-poet
This book consists of the following four collections of poems by Seamus Heaney that were published between 1965 and 1975: Death of a Naturalist - 5 stars; Door into the Dark - 5 stars; Wintering Out - 4 stars; North - 4 stars.

I think the poems in Death of a Naturalist and Door into the Dark are very accessible. The poems in Wintering Out and North are more complex and therefore more difficult. The four-star ratings for the latter two collections are more a reflection of my failure to fully under
Jacob
Nov 04, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it
"Now, to pry into roots, to finger slime,
To stare, big-eyed Narcissus, into some spring
Is beneath all adult dignity. I rhyme
To see myself, to set the darkness echoing." (from Personal Helicon, p. 40)

I know but a pitiful amount of Irish history/cultural/geography which made some of the allusions and ideas in this book difficult if not impossible to grasp. That said, these poems are still quite beautiful and moving despite the fact that I know nothing about traditional fishing, farming, bogs, or v
Christin
Jan 03, 2012 Christin rated it it was amazing
I loves me some Heaney, even though he doesn't give a fig about feminist issues, he mostly objectifies women in the most beguiling way (seriously, I'm charmed, most of the time). His descriptions of the landscape are so poignant and compelling, I don't even mind; okay, I mind a lot in "Punishment" in particular, but other than that, he gets a pass because his verse is keen, lyrical, and moving.
Jeremy
May 11, 2011 Jeremy rated it liked it
Loved the first selection of poems in this collection from Heaney's first book, Death of a Naturalist.
Alot of the later poems were harder, partly because they contain numerous Irish allusions,
words, and images I have no familiarity with.
But there are some gems here.
Erin
Mar 22, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Bought this one for several verses that I utterly adore. The poems for which I purchased this book remain dear to me, but they are episodic gems. On the whole? It is a good book. I'm not sure it is great.
Jan 10, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
His poems on the rural Irish landscape give me chills. He is a great poet to read if you're trying to get down to sensory detail and rid your poems of abstraction.
Meagan Cahuasqui
Jun 09, 2016 Meagan Cahuasqui rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
not the kind of poetry I'm used to reading but I appreciated the imagery and Irish themes throughout
Nulty
May 06, 2009 Nulty rated it it was amazing
a solid poet...the work has a toothiness to it, the taste of the words lingers in my mouth
Shawn  Perry
Jun 05, 2008 Shawn Perry rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shawn by: Nikki
My favourite poet.
Casey
Aug 22, 2013 Casey rated it it was amazing
The master.
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Cb
Cb added it
Sep 18, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Brian McNiff
Brian McNiff rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Brandon Pahl
Brandon Pahl marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
David Jordan
David Jordan rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Mollie Westhead
Mollie Westhead marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Flower Conroy
Flower Conroy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
  • One Hundred and One Poems by Paul Verlaine: A Bilingual Edition
  • Special Orders: Poems
  • A history of the Roman people
  • Inventing Ireland
Seamus Justin Heaney was an Irish poet, writer and lecturer from County Derry, Ireland. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1995, "for works of lyrical beauty and ethical depth, which exalt everyday miracles and the living past."

Heaney on Wikipedia.
More about Seamus Heaney...