Start by marking “In the Small, Small Pond” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,119 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Denise Fleming's book gives young readers a frog's-eye view of life in a pond throughout the seasons.

In the Small, Small Pond is a 1994 Caldecott Honor Book.
Published September 15th 1993 by Square Fish (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about In the Small, Small Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Small, Small Pond

Latise
This is a fun book that teaches students about their environment and animals that are found inside of a pond. This book could also be used in a cross-curricular activity in teaching rhyming words. I would place this book in a variety of learning centers including science and reading.
Sabrina
Feb 21, 2016 Sabrina rated it really liked it

Author and Illustrator:
In the book "In the Small, Small Pond" the aothor used a unique perspective from a frog point of view and the pictures are colorful and tell a story of their own.
Personal Response to the Book:
This is a great to book to teach rhyme. There are lots of sound words that kids could read them together with teachers.
This book als
Dena (Batch of Books)
I am quickly becoming a Denise Fleming fan. Just like in Pumpkin Eye, In the Small Small Pond is more of an expression of experience and feeling rather than a play by play story.

Fleming has a unique style to both her writing and her illustrations. The use of simple, rhyming prose in her books is effective and engaging. This is a fantastic book to read aloud to toddlers and small children. The illustrations are bright and stylized, creating a unique texture to the story.

Books for Kids
Natalie Brockmeier
I really thought this book was one I couldn't go without in my classroom. I love that it's very few words and they rhyme, but it actually shows the life cycle of a frog.
In a read aloud, I would use this to talk about the life cycle of a frog. In fact, in one of my science classes in elementary school we had tadpoles, so I could definitely use this in that setting. We could also discuss environment and animal habitat and where each animal lives. We learned through this book that frogs live in po
Marissa Horton
Mar 26, 2015 Marissa Horton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book, "The Small, Small Pond" Th shows the life evolution of a frog; from an egg to a tadpole to a frog and many more adventures along the way. This is the perfect book for children because they learn along the way. A frog's life evolution is told throughout vivid illustrations. This book has very little text however that just brings out the amazing illustrations more. Children would love this book because they feel like they are in and out of the water as the frog evolves.

The illustrati
Sabrina Parsons
Mar 20, 2015 Sabrina Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction
Denise Fleming is an American Author who primarily writes for young children and she is the writer and illustrator of the book In the Small, Small Pond. This book is a sequel to another book by Denise Fleming called In the Tall, Tall Grass. This book uses clever rhyming schemes and similar words that allow for a fun but focused experience. The illustrations are done in an unusual and unique way, that draw the reader in. In the Small, Small Pond was published in 1994 and it was a Cald
Lisa
Nov 12, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This wonderful picture book is perfect for babies through kindergarteners. The vivid illustrations earned a Caldecott Honor medal and show life in a small pond. There isn't a plot or story, but the passing of time is clear -- it begins with with tadpoles and goslings and ends with muskrats preparing for winter and "chill breeze, winter freeze". Each page spread has four words, making it a good choice for babies and young toddlers. However, each page spread also has lots to talk about with older ...more
Ciara Plackett
Personal Reaction:
I liked this book, it has a unique perspective from a frog point of view. The pictures are colorful and tell a story of their own.

Purpose:
Read Aloud:
This is a book that I would read aloud if I were in a Pre-K or Kindergarten class. I would read this when we are learning about the life cycle of a frog and it also introduces the seasons. This is a great book to discuss the life cycle of a frog throughout the year. Also good for discussion about different animals.

Independent Read
Jordan Brown
Author: Denise Fleming
Reading Level: Ages 4-7

Fleming, Denise. (1993) In the Small, Small Pond. New York: Holt and Company

In the Small, Small Pond is a rhyming book that describes the activities and habits of a group of animals that live in or near a small pond.

This book is essentially a poem with simple, clear language. It's a fast, simple read with many repetitions, and because of that, I feel this book would highly appeal to younger children with lower attention spans.
Jasmyne Gunter
In the Small, Small Pond is a Caldecott Honor Book about all the sounds, animals, and bugs that a frog sees and hears while swimming through a small, small pond.

Caldecott books are awarded for their pictures. The pictures in the book are beautiful. All the animals, bugs, and plants look realistic. They are also very colorful, but in a realistic way. The pictures take up the whole page, there are no white spaces. The colors are also blended together very well. The water is a blend of blue and gr
Lisa Hartmann
In the Small,Small pond is a book of poetry for young readers. This book has earned the Calecott Honor. This poem is about different animals and insects you would see in the pond and what they might be doing and sounds they may make. The language is very simple and on most pages all the words start with the same letter. This is also a rhyming poem. There are about 3-4 words per page and the words are in dark bold print and stand out. The colors of the pictures are bright and vibrant. The story i ...more
Luann
Nov 08, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very colorful illustrations! I like them a lot. Young readers would enjoy looking for the frog in each picture. This reminds me of another Caldecott Honor, Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems by Joyce Sidman, only for much younger readers.
Michael
Simple rhymes, fun words, vibrant, pastel-smeared illustrations. It's a great sing-song book for very young children. They use a kind of orange-ish tone for the child and I liked that I wasn't sure of their race or gender.

This one is a Caldecott Honor Book; the sequel, In the Tall, Tall Grass is almost exactly the same, with a different main character (brown skin and spikier hair) and different rhymes. It is equally good, so I assume the Caldecott Honor must include points for originality and th
Carmen Nibali
“In the small small pond” this story is about a frog that leaps out of the tall grass and lands in the small pond. The story introduces the different seasons to children. This book is intended for the ages of three and up. The colorful illustrations fill up every inch of the pages in this book. The text in this book is simple for children to understand as for rhyming. The story also describes the activities of the animals that live in the pond and this is an excellent book for ponds life and act ...more
Samantha
May 23, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Vibrant and rhythmic text dances through papercut illustrations of a season on the pond. Great read aloud. Must read/see.
Reana Smiley
Jul 18, 2015 Reana Smiley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fleming, Denise, and Denise Fleming. In the Small, Small Pond. New York: Henry Holt, 1993. Print.
Rhyming book. This book is about a pond and all the animals and creatures that live in the pond and the things they do. This book has a big font which is perfect for young children who are learning to read. The words are few, but the vocabulary is vast which can also be very beneficial for small children. The illustrations in this book are also very cool, and the colors are bright and vibrant. For w
Jaycee Knoulton
Nature, ecosystems
This is a very simple book so it is best for younger students. I chose a TEKS for Kindergarten where students recognize organisms and their interactions with living and nonliving organisms.
TEKS. 112.11. Science, Kindergarten
A.4(D) in life science, students recognize the interdependence of organisms in the natural world. They understand that all organisms have basic needs that can be satisfied through interactions with living and nonliving things. Students will investigate the l
David
In the Small, Small Pond by Denise Fleming follows a frog to explore pond life. Starting in spring, we view the frog and other pond denizens and visitors through the seasons.

The rhyming text features a large, bold font and about sixty words. Adjectives and action words describe the various pond animals encountered, including tadpoles, geese, dragonflies, turtles, herons, minnows, whirligigs, swallows, crayfish, ducks, raccoons, and muskrats. Movement is well portrayed through the descriptive wr
Jessica Scranton
Apr 17, 2012 Jessica Scranton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eced221
In the Small, Small Pond is a children’s realistic fiction book written by Denise Fleming. The story is a short book about what happens in a pond. The book is entirely made up of rhyme and alliterations. The book is made up of short phrases that describe different actions performed by different animals in the pond. Some phrases used in the book are “wiggle, jiggle, tadpoles wriggle” and “sweep, swoop, swallows scoop. The book had no theme or plot. It was more focused on verb phrases and would be ...more
Maria Cloutier
Apr 12, 2014 Maria Cloutier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be a great book for younger ages. This book has beautiful pictures of the different animals that live in ponds and use pond areas. This book could also be good for begging readers. I liked how this book also incorporated the seasons. First the book starts off in the summer when the frog jumps into the water, then the book ends in winter and you see the frog curled up under some dirt in the pond. This book was a fast read that kept my attention and I would recommend it!
Shannon Brasher
In the Small, Small Pond is a beautifully illustrated book which takes the reader on a journey into a pond, describing all of the different sounds and creatures you might find there. I would use this book to highlight word choice and talk about descriptive writing as well as onomatopoeia. I think the vibrant colors would lead to a fun art project as well, by having your students create their own illustration in this style.
Kelsey
Nov 02, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of boring for me as an adult reader. However, it would be really good for younger kids. As a teacher I think it would be great to use in the lower grades when teaching about pond life. The students can act out the different things that the animals do. I've used this in my preschool class before and they have a blast doing it. It's on of their favorite books because they can actually act parts of it out.
Kayla
Mar 18, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-awards
Although this book only had a few words on each page, I enjoyed the use of rhyming. I also liked how the author described the motions that each animal does in the pond. I think this book would be a great way to teach students all of the animals that live in/around ponds. I also enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Even though the pictures aren't always clear the use of color is beautifully done.
Liz Meschewski
This book is a contemporary realistic fiction picture book about what animals you may find near a pond. This book has 2 or 3 words on each page with great illustrations. I believe it is best suited for ages 2-5 years old. The major theme of this book is animal life. I gave this book two stars because I wish it had more words on the page. But I loved the illustrations.
Alaina Rushing
This book is a cute book for younger children. It is a very simple read but is interesting enough to get the child's attention. The way it is written, children could act out the different sounds as the book is read to them. As a teacher it could be used to teach rhyming as a phonics skill. It could additionally be used to teach a science lesson about the life cycle of a frog.
Janice Villwock
Nov 11, 2009 Janice Villwock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-same-artist
Pre-K-2nd grade Read aloud/self read

Denise Fleming's very vivid and colorful pages were created by "pouring colored cotton pulp through hand cut stencils" resulting in "images set in handmade paper!" Fleming takes the reader and listeners through the numerous activities happening at the small pond. Her pages are very bright without any negative space. She uses a rhyming sequence on every page carried throughout the book. The story takes the reader from spring with the many tadpoles swimming in t
Renate Robey
This book has rhythm and rhyme which will promote phonological awareness. The pictures are lovely (and won a Caldecott) and show all kinds of creatures in a pond. There are only a few words on the page, but the language is lively so you can spend time with the vocabulary-- such as "hover, shiver, wings quiver" on the pages about dragonflies.
Jill Wolf
Mar 26, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Informational #4
This book is about the animals that live in a pond. The words on the pages are simple, but it allows the children to really look at the pictures and identify the animals that live there. Some of them that are included are turtles, frogs, minnows, and geese. This book would be really good to introduce a unit on animals that live in or by the water.
Logan Gatchel
This book was very cute! The illustrations are so awesome and would definitely keep children's attention. It allows readers to also get an idea of what goes on in and around the pond! It is a mini science lesson in a picture book! I think this picture book would be very suitable for children grades k-2!
Kelsey
Animals romp through a pond as they make a variety of noises and interact with each other. Each page features a few short descriptive words that either rhyme or create an engaging rhythm. Readers can words with children to develop phonological awareness or develop vocabulary about different animals.
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
  • Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
  • Color Zoo
  • Truck
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby
  • The Faithful Friend
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • The Graphic Alphabet
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • Goggles!
  • Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin
  • A Child's Calendar
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...