Start by marking “Crossroads” as Want to Read:
Crossroads

Crossroads

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Published November 25th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Crossroads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossroads

Laurel-Rain
When Cassie Wright, heir to the foremost company in a thriving New England town adopts a child she names Gwendolyn, she also keeps a very big secret of the child's origins. Years later, once Cassie has established her abilities running the company and her daughter is in her teens, a jealous young woman turns their relationship upside down by what she reveals.

Jewel Fairchild is from humble origins, but her beauty is her ticket into the world she desires. But her envy and jealousy motivate many o
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Crossroads is about the jealousy of two women: Gwen, born into wealth, who marries Stan, a common man, and Jewel, born into poverty, who marries Jeff, a privileged man.

Gwen marries Stan for love while Jewel marries Jeff for the material things he could give her. Stan marries Gwen not only for love but for her inner beauty. Jeff marries Jewel for her outer beauty and for the way she encourages him to act upon his greed. Gwen is jealous of Jewel for her outer beauty and Jewel is jealous of Gwen f
Mary
This book reminded me why I read Belva Plain's older novels. She does have a way with words and story telling. This one is about two young girls, one rich and one very poor. The trials and misadventures both take and how in the back of their minds they keep track of the other. They meet by chance and become jealous of each other. Thinking that because Jewel is beautiful she has it all. Because Gwen is rich she must have it all. The story takes a lot of twists and turns and the outcome is differe ...more
Virginia Myers
As you are reading this book – you might be reminded of your favorite soap opera on TV because it reads something like a soap opera. There is a rich girl and a poor girl – the poor girl marries for money and the rich girl marries for love; and the lives of the two girls intertwine for years with loads of jealousy, betrayal, family secrets, nasty gossip, and dirty dealings.

But with that beginning, let me say that it was as easy read and the anticipation of what might happen next kept me interest
RNOCEAN
No one explores the rich tapestry of the human heart as Belva Plain does. Her more than twenty New York Times bestsellers have captivated readers and garnered legions of devoted fans. Now Plain dazzles us once again with a new novel of rare eloquence and raw emotion…a powerful tale about the consequences of greed—and the acts of love and forgiveness that can heal the heart.Cassie Wright never saw it coming. As owner of Wright Glassworks, the foremost company in a thriving New England town, Cassi ...more
Sandie
READER WARNING: CROSSROADS by Belva Plain has also been published as RED LEAVES. The only differences being that the mother in Red Leaves is called Jean instead of Cassandra and Gwen's name is spelled Guin in Red Leaves. That being said, let me get on to the review.

Similar in some ways to her earlier works Eden Burning, Random Winds and Evergreen but lacking in the skillfully balanced bittersweet insights and heartwarming truths that beguiled her readers and brought her a legion of devoted fans
Joanne
When I read the jacket flap I thought this book was set at the turn of the
century era, but it was actually a contemporary novel. Timeless themes of
jealousy and greed are well developed by the author in this relatively
short novel.

The story centers on Gwen and Jewel along with matriarch Cassie (Gwen’s
mother) who is a successful businesswoman of a long-standing NE glassworks.
Gwen and Jewel meet and they both want what each other has – money, social
standing, love and looks. Gwen is quiet, privileged
Barb
I'm glad this was a short book. The plot was painfully predictable and boring. Maybe it's because the author looks like a Queen Mum wannabe, but it was completely devoid of any kind of edge, humor or excitement. It's based in modern times, but I may well have been reading something from the early 20th century based on how chaste the language and content is! Good lord, I'm an adult, give me a "grown up" book. I found the main characters to be as boring and dull as the story itself. This author se ...more
Mary
Jan 22, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Cassie Wright never saw it coming. As the owner of the thriving Wright Glassworks, her life was well-planned, orderly and quiet until a tragic accident forces her to become mother to a one year old child who has no one else to care for her. As the years pass, Cassie raises Gwen as her own, and the girl flourished in a world of privilege and opportunity. Enter Jewel Fairbanks; beautiful and conniving, Jewel will touch both Cassie's and Gwen's life in powerful ways. Both Gwen and Jewel will marry ...more
Marie Castellano
This was a good read. Two women, one privileged and one poor, chose lives of almost opposite circumstances. The choices they make in spouses hurl them into differing cultures though in the same small town. How they meet the challenges of those lives influences their growth into the women they become. This author delves into motives, anger, guilt, love and forgiveness and her characters change and mature because of it.
Carol Aselton Benoit
I haven't read Belva Plain in a while and forgot how good she is. The first quarter of the book was a little slow (well maybe just for me), but after that it picked-up -- mostly emotionally -- not so much on details -- I really had a hard time putting it down. She truly writes for the females in life but very true to life and very well done. Looking forward to my next Belva Plain book.
Sharon
Gwen Wright, daughter of wealthy entrepreneur, Cassandra Wright, is introverted and holding a secret. Her chance meeting with Jewel Fairchild, beautiful,confident and making a meager living, kicks off a life-long feud that dramatically changes their lives both good and bad. I listened to the audiobook and at first thought this story was based in the early 19th century and later realized that it was a contemporary novel. It is interesting how this book could actually be interpreted in another tim ...more
Jennifer Morefield
Excellent story. Totally enjoyed it! Looking forward to reading other stories by Belva Plain.
Sharon Weltman
Jealousy interwoven lives of two girls from high school on . life is not all it seems. Richly woven plot of characters affairs and love. boldness of women
Dpic
Feb 09, 2014 Dpic added it
soso
Carol
This is the latest of Ms. Plain's books and I found it to be excellent. An intelligent young girl who thinks she is unattractive is adopted by the richest lady in Wrightsville. She learns of her "real" parents from her mother's receptionist who is beautiful but only on the outside. Both marry but their lives are intertwined throuoghout the book as only Ms. Plain can do by holding the reader's attention waiting to see just how the two will end up and who will triumph.
Cactuskid
Select Editions Vol 2,2009
A story of wealthy and the poor class. A poor beautiful but jealous girl married a man that became wealthy by some very questionable tactics and ended up losing in the end, and a wealthy adopted girl that was homely but intelligent that married a poor, proud man that started his own business and made it grow. Conflicts within the family and how different these two marriages were and what worked & what didn't work. An interesting tale.
Angie
I didn't really enjoy this book. To me, the characters were all unlikable. A sassy jealous poor girl and a rich but homely sweet? girl-- I don't know, they just didn't click for me. I really loved Evergreen but her other books just don't seem to compare. This is one of my least favorites of her books. I wouldn't recommend it...
Kathleen
Wow, it is amazing how art imitates life. I am sure the author is extremely happy this book was written, published and released before certain events starting happening in the News. She probably would have been accused of writing about current events. It is scary to think there are real people who act in such a manner.
Erica
Some of my materialistic acquaintances should read this to help them understand money and big fancy things shouldn't define you. Yes, I know this book is fiction, but there is still a lesson to be learned. This was a quick read so I liked it. I don't think I'll read any other books by Belva, but who knows.
Lynne
I enjoy reading Belva Plain. After reading something heavy it is nice to pick up one of her books. It fast reading, but she always has a good story line with a moral. There is not foul language or inappropriate sex. She usually has romance as well as family relationships that we can all learn from.
Jodi
This book had so much potential, but sadly, it didn't live up to it. It had all the right components for one of her blockbuster novels, but she didn't explore them. It left the characters very 2 dimensional.It really didn't have the depth of characters and storylines past.
Donna Fries
This is a story about two girls who come from opposite ends of the spectrum and each seems
to want what the other has. Jealousy is a terrible thing and causes many bad choices. In the
long and painful struggle, I believe they both learned important lessons.
Carol
Oct 21, 2011 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
Story of 2 young women, beautiful and cunning Jewel and quiet and reserved Gwen, and how their lives intertwine. This satisfactory women's story deals with wealth, adoption, bankruptcy, fidelity, women in business, and writing.
Pam
This novel provided a glimpse into the contrast of marriages that are wealthy or struggling, they all are fragile and need to be carefully taken care of regardless of your circumstances. I like Belva Plain's work.
Jen
Interesting mix of people from different classes that live in a small town and their interactions and feelings about one another. These kinds of things always kinda get me thinking, so it was nice to read.
I've never read a Belva Plain book, so I thought I would try one. This story was a sad commentary on human nature. She paints a vivid picture of the nature and consequences of jealousy, greed, and pride.
Susan
A good time amusement - a page turner as they say, like many by Belva Plain. I like to watch the development of her families, although their lives will not stick with me forever. Still, a fun read.
Loretta
A poor girl marries rich and a rich girl marries poor. This is a story about what happens when envy and jealousy rear their ugly heads....Jewel, Jeff, Gwen and Stan are interesting characters..
Marianne Jay
I haven't read Belva Plain in a while, and I'm so glad I picked this book up. It reminded me why I like her so much.

This book teaches a very good lesson about jealousy. I really liked it.
  • First Things First
  • The Forbidden Zone
  • Guilt by Association
  • Ruin Creek
  • One Last Dance
Belva Plain was a best-selling American author of mainstream women's fiction.

More about Belva Plain...
Evergreen Homecoming Blessings Tapestry Random Winds