Start by marking “Cries and Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Cries and Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)

Cries and Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Reporter Theda Krakow is caught up in investigating the rise of a dangerous new designer drug that threatens the musicians and fans who make up the club scene she considers her second home.
Published December 1st 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Cries and Whiskers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cries and Whiskers

Barb Radmore
It is a holiday treat that the intrepid Theda Krakow is back in another feline mystery from Clea Simon. This time Theda takes on the drug culture and animal rights activist in this fast paced, suspense filled story.

The Top Ten category of who should read this book:
1. Anyone who likes a mystery with a well written, strong, female main character.
2. Anyone who likes a mystery with varied plot lines that are deftly meshed into one seamless story.
3. Anyone who likes well thought out suspense that kee
Diane  Morasco
Clea Simon does it again. Third time's a charm for this gifted storyteller.Freelance journalist Theda Krakow is back with a cat story that is anything but warm & fuzzy.A fervent animal rights activist is run over during a feral cat rescue at a proposed development site in a Beantown suburb.When her death becomes a murder investigation, Theda discovers that the victim was rescuing feral cats during a winter storm. Theda decides to help her friend Violet, a punk rocker who owns an animal shelt ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Megan
Sep 05, 2008 Megan marked it as because-i-work-in-a-bookstore
There's a cat... horribly photoshopped above a building. What more could you ask for?
Carol
Great mystery, page turner and written with a different slant.
Kat Lebo
Another great read in the Theda Krakow series by Clea Simon.

This book embodies all the reasons I read mysteries, while having basically none of the issues that make me crazy while I'm reading!

First: This novel is well plotted. Lots of action, lots of irons in the fire, lots of seemingly unrelated incidents that all come together towards the end, and plenty of cats.

Second: Great character development. All Theda's friends are back. There's her cop boyfriend, Bill, her cat sanctuary buddy/clublan
Shonna Froebel
This is the third in the series featuring Theda Krakow, freelance journalist and music lover. Theda writes a regular column on music for a Boston paper and picks up other jobs to make a living. She has a cat Musetta and is friends with Violet, a musician who runs a cat shelter. When an animal activist is killed in a hit and run accident, Theda helps Violet try to locate the feral cats near an old bottling plant by the river. Theda is always working on a story about a new pop band that has appear ...more
Beverly
Reporter Theda Krakow is caught up investigating the rise of a new designer drug that threatens the musicians and fans who make up the club scene she considers her second home. OK novel with ctas as an assesssory.
Nikki
Feb 19, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat people, for sure
Shelves: mysteries, just-read
Third in a series, this book finds freelance rock music critic Theda Krakow dealing with a boyfriend who's laid up with a broken kneecap, a friend who's acting strange, the hit and run death of an acquaintance who's rescuing feral cats, and much more. The rock music scene in Cambridge intersects with drugs, real estate, and some red herrings as well before Theda finally sorts it all out. When is she going to realize that, contrary to her editor's opinion, she actually is a reporter, and a fine i ...more
Mary
Okay read, like the love of kitties involved with the plot. Will read a few more by her to see if they are better.
Petula Darling
If you like it when people go on and on about their pets ad nauseum, then this is the story for you.

There were many things I liked about this book, such as the setting, the protagonist's line of work and her independence, but the extent of the CAT! theme was a little too much for me.
Amanda
Main character still too focused on overweight descriptions, IMHO, in this 3rd book. Adequate story, but I find that even though I'm a big fan of kitties, having a couple myself, the main character's obsession with her cat over her boyfriend is borderline crazy cat lady.
Carol
If you aren't a cat person you may not like this book as the main character refers to her cat quite a bit. Action takes place in Cambridge, outside Boston. Main character is a free lance writer covering night clubs. New book. Learned quite a bit about animal rights groups.
Mike
Nov 07, 2009 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I like a good mystery. This book fits that description. I picked it up without having read anything else by the author, so was not familiar with the detective and their "history". I liked it and probably would read more by the same author, but have not done so yet.
Andrea
I'd say this book was just ok (probably would give it 2.5 stars if I could). It might be because I listen to it on audio book though and wasn't pay attention at parts so I found it a bit confusing with all the story lines. The characters I felt were just ok too.
Homerun2
This is a solid 3 1/2 star series. Main characters are likable, Boston setting is well-portrayed, and the action moves right along. This story had a lot of plot threads braided quite implausibly together at the end, but it was good entertainment.
Linda Richards
Though I've loved all of the Theda Krakow mysteries, this continues to be one of my favorites. Somehow it all comes together for me here: the music, the mystery, the romance on a rough sea. No one does kitty noir like Clea Simon!
Lynn Siler
First half pretty slow, nearly stopped reading, but last half was very fast-paced and I couldn't put it down so definitely worth reading.
Sara
Very much enjoying this series, which I think gets more sure-footed with each entry.
Alissa Bach
Another fantastic page-turning mystery!
Janet
Reviewer of bands in Cambridge.
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Safe Harbor
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Best Intentions
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #1)
Clea Simon is the author of the Dulcie Schwartz feline mysteries, the Pru Marlowe pet noir mysteries, and the Theda Krakow mysteries, as well as three nonfiction books, including The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats. The recipient of multiple honors, including the Cat Writers Associations Presidents Award, she lives in Somerville, Massachusetts, with her husband ...more
More about Clea Simon...

Theda Krakow Mystery (4 books)
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow Mystery #1)
  • Cattery Row (Theda Krakow Mystery #2)
  • Probable Claws (Theda Krakow Mystery #4)
Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow Mystery #1) Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir Cattery Row (Theda Krakow Mystery #2) Cats Can't Shoot: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #1)