Start by marking “Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)

Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Reporter Theda Krakow is caught up in investigating the rise of a dangerous new designer drug that threatens the musicians and fans who make up the club scene she considers her second home.
Published December 1st 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Cries & Whiskers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cries & Whiskers

Barb Radmore
It is a holiday treat that the intrepid Theda Krakow is back in another feline mystery from Clea Simon. This time Theda takes on the drug culture and animal rights activist in this fast paced, suspense filled story.

The Top Ten category of who should read this book:
1. Anyone who likes a mystery with a well written, strong, female main character.
2. Anyone who likes a mystery with varied plot lines that are deftly meshed into one seamless story.
3. Anyone who likes well thought out suspense that kee
I really feel like the story is starting to pick up pace, and I also felt like Theda is growing into a more likable character. The last story felt a little fuzzy, but this one seemed more focused, like the author knows more about where she is going with the cast of characters. And it certainly is a cast! There are many friends and acquaintances that make repeated appearances as supporting characters or essential to keeping the plot rolling. Bill is starting to flesh out a little more too, instea ...more
Diane  Morasco
Clea Simon does it again. Third time's a charm for this gifted storyteller.Freelance journalist Theda Krakow is back with a cat story that is anything but warm & fuzzy.A fervent animal rights activist is run over during a feral cat rescue at a proposed development site in a Beantown suburb.When her death becomes a murder investigation, Theda discovers that the victim was rescuing feral cats during a winter storm. Theda decides to help her friend Violet, a punk rocker who owns an animal shelt ...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Sep 05, 2008 Megan marked it as because-i-work-in-a-bookstore
There's a cat... horribly photoshopped above a building. What more could you ask for?
Great mystery, page turner and written with a different slant.
Kat Lebo
Another great read in the Theda Krakow series by Clea Simon.

This book embodies all the reasons I read mysteries, while having basically none of the issues that make me crazy while I'm reading!

First: This novel is well plotted. Lots of action, lots of irons in the fire, lots of seemingly unrelated incidents that all come together towards the end, and plenty of cats.

Second: Great character development. All Theda's friends are back. There's her cop boyfriend, Bill, her cat sanctuary buddy/clublan
Shonna Froebel
This is the third in the series featuring Theda Krakow, freelance journalist and music lover. Theda writes a regular column on music for a Boston paper and picks up other jobs to make a living. She has a cat Musetta and is friends with Violet, a musician who runs a cat shelter. When an animal activist is killed in a hit and run accident, Theda helps Violet try to locate the feral cats near an old bottling plant by the river. Theda is always working on a story about a new pop band that has appear ...more
Elly Wendy
2* I wish I could say that I enjoyed this one as much as I did "True Grey," but I can't. This one wasn't as solid and indeed at times it was annoying. I did finish it but only because I was busy doing other things while the audio prattled on. Still, I'll give more of her books a try.
Reporter Theda Krakow is caught up investigating the rise of a new designer drug that threatens the musicians and fans who make up the club scene she considers her second home. OK novel with ctas as an assesssory.
Feb 19, 2008 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat people, for sure
Shelves: mysteries, just-read
Third in a series, this book finds freelance rock music critic Theda Krakow dealing with a boyfriend who's laid up with a broken kneecap, a friend who's acting strange, the hit and run death of an acquaintance who's rescuing feral cats, and much more. The rock music scene in Cambridge intersects with drugs, real estate, and some red herrings as well before Theda finally sorts it all out. When is she going to realize that, contrary to her editor's opinion, she actually is a reporter, and a fine i ...more
Okay read, like the love of kitties involved with the plot. Will read a few more by her to see if they are better.
Petula Darling
If you like it when people go on and on about their pets ad nauseum, then this is the story for you.

There were many things I liked about this book, such as the setting, the protagonist's line of work and her independence, but the extent of the CAT! theme was a little too much for me.
Main character still too focused on overweight descriptions, IMHO, in this 3rd book. Adequate story, but I find that even though I'm a big fan of kitties, having a couple myself, the main character's obsession with her cat over her boyfriend is borderline crazy cat lady.
If you aren't a cat person you may not like this book as the main character refers to her cat quite a bit. Action takes place in Cambridge, outside Boston. Main character is a free lance writer covering night clubs. New book. Learned quite a bit about animal rights groups.
Nov 07, 2009 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I like a good mystery. This book fits that description. I picked it up without having read anything else by the author, so was not familiar with the detective and their "history". I liked it and probably would read more by the same author, but have not done so yet.
I'd say this book was just ok (probably would give it 2.5 stars if I could). It might be because I listen to it on audio book though and wasn't pay attention at parts so I found it a bit confusing with all the story lines. The characters I felt were just ok too.
This is a solid 3 1/2 star series. Main characters are likable, Boston setting is well-portrayed, and the action moves right along. This story had a lot of plot threads braided quite implausibly together at the end, but it was good entertainment.
Linda Richards
Though I've loved all of the Theda Krakow mysteries, this continues to be one of my favorites. Somehow it all comes together for me here: the music, the mystery, the romance on a rough sea. No one does kitty noir like Clea Simon!
Lynn Siler
First half pretty slow, nearly stopped reading, but last half was very fast-paced and I couldn't put it down so definitely worth reading.
Very much enjoying this series, which I think gets more sure-footed with each entry.
Alissa Bach
Another fantastic page-turning mystery!
Reviewer of bands in Cambridge.
Bon marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Safe Harbor
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Best Intentions
  • What Lies in Shadow
Clea Simon is the author of the upcoming The Ninth Life, the first in the Blackie & Care mysteries. She also writes Dulcie Schwartz feline mysteries, the Pru Marlowe pet noir mysteries, and the Theda Krakow mysteries, as well as three nonfiction books, including The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats. The recipient of multiple honors, including the Cat Writers ...more
More about Clea Simon...

Theda Krakow Mystery (4 books)
  • Mew is for Murder (Theda Krakow Mystery #1)
  • Cattery Row (Theda Krakow Mystery #2)
  • Probable Claws (Theda Krakow Mystery #4)