Start by marking “The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide

The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Skyrocketing phone bills. Layovers and missed flights. Countless hours spent pining, worrying, and wondering, Why do we do this to ourselves? Long-distance love can be one challenge afteranother, but as most committed couples will tell you, the rewards well outweigh the stresses. In this sensitive yet sensible guide, long-distance veterans Chris and Kate provide strategies ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide

Newton
This book is a good starting point for people who are considering a long distance relationship. It covers the basic problems LDR go through and gives readers important things to consider before entering a LDR. Seeing that my partner and I are considering it, it did help me to start thinking about the pro and cons and how really committed I am.

I found the pesonal stories of all the couples inteviewed interesting (to a degree) and some of them gave me sources and tools on what exactly I should co
Joy
This book has some great advice and examples that will help you either strengthen your long-distance relationship or make the decision to end it before lots of time and pain.
I read this book while in a LDR. I had been unhappy with the way things were going in my relationship and knew there needed to be some goals set and improvements made. This book helped me approach my then boyfriend with my needs and ultimately make the decision to end it after finding that he really didn’t want to do any wo
Jamie
Give advice at what to do to keep things going. It was nice but it didn't apply to my long distance relationship currently. My significant other is deployed, and we won't be able to see each other at all. I was hoping for some more inspiration or motivation through the lonely times of this, but it hit on ways to keep relationships positive for people in different US cities. It is good book but not what I was hoping for.
Roxanne
Feb 16, 2008 Roxanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Roxanne by: Fritz
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
This book is exactly what the title says. Fritz bought it for me several months ago; he has a copy also, and we've been working our way through it a chapter at a time and talking about the different strategies and issues. Definitely a valuable read, although most of the discussions it sparked consisted of "Yeah, we do that. Yeah, we do that too. Yeah, we're good at that..." etc. So it was good for the affirmation, and we also got at least a few ideas we might not have come up with on our own.
Jessica
I am currentlyin a long-distance relationship and have faced several communication issues along the way. This book has provided strategies and ideas that have been helpful for me in learning to face these challenges with greater confidence. While I have not yet finished the book, I know it will be a valuable asset as my long-distance relationship continues.
Bianca
This book has some helpful hints, but most of it is common sense. The most value I got out of it was the chapter on deciding when to move and what to consider. It's worth a read if you are in a long distance relationship and can get it from the library, used, or from a friend.
Zachariah
Not bad. Would maybe have been useful at the beginning of an LDR. Over a year into one, the content was rather passe. But as it is, it was neat reading sketches of other LDR relationships, failures and successes, and to get a few more tips for the trade.
Chad
Couple of really good take-always from this book. My favorite was playing a game online together that was unrelated to work or personal things to help pass time without the pressure of having to always have something specific to talk about.
Gina
Jul 12, 2010 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a great book for anyone dating long-distance or considering dating someone long-distance. The most helpful aspect of the book was reading stories about couples that made their long-distance relationship successful.
Kate
Useful information, but mostly for if you're just starting a relationship and if you live in the same country. Could also use an update on the tech aspect of things. No mention of texts or Skype!
Michellersn
This book is a wonderful starter for those who are in a LDR. It gives examples and tips from real couples. It also organizes in the book in a way that is easy to read and follow.
rabbitprincess
Nov 11, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the boyfriend
Shelves: 2006, cadeau, non-fiction
The boyfriend bought this for me before he left for a co-op term in another city. It was helpful and written in a very accessible manner, lots of examples from real life.
Tori
This book was ok. it taught by example, which was really good in some situations, but not the best in others.
Lori
it's a little dated for the times but had some pretty good advice.
Valerie Sherman
Cute book with some neat ideas, but very repetitive.
Gya
Gya marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Madeleine L.
Madeleine L. marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Brittany
Brittany is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Ac
Ac marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jeffreycarlgberen
Jeffreycarlgberen marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Dori Dlu
Dori Dlu marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Gabbie Levine
Gabbie Levine marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Mohammed Maallem
Mohammed Maallem marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
  • Intellectual Foreplay: A Book of Questions for Lovers and Lovers-to-Be
  • Love at the Speed of Email
  • Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart into Daily Life
  • Literary Knits: 30 Patterns Inspired by Favorite Books
  • A Zits Treasury 05: Crack of Noon
  • John A: The Man Who Made Us (The Life and Times of John A. Macdonald - Volume One: 1815-1867)
  • How We Choose to Be Happy: The 9 Choices of Extremely Happy People--Their Secrets, Their Stories
  • Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care
  • The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
  • Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years
  • How to Change Anybody: Proven Techniques to Reshape Anyone's Attitude, Behavior, Feelings, or Beliefs
  • The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed
  • Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Writing the Australian Crawl
  • Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked
  • Negotiation
  • Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs
The Concentrated Essence of Any Number of Ravens Shem-el-Nessim: An Inspiration In Perfume Port After Stormy Seas The Vale of Health A Shelterless Man

“The playwright Rose Franken said, "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.” 0 likes