The Houses of Roman Italy 100 BC-AD 250: Ritual, Space & Decoration

The Houses of Roman Italy 100 BC-AD 250: Ritual, Space & Decoration

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  2 reviews
In this richly illustrated book, art historian John R. Clarke helps us see the ancient Roman house "with Roman eyes." Clarke presents a range of houses, from tenements to villas, and shows us how enduring patterns of Roman wall decoration tellingly bear the cultural, religious, and social imprints of the people who lived with them.

In case studies of seventeen excavated hou...more
Published November 11th 1993 by University of California Press (first published December 16th 1991)

Simon
I am suffering from horrible insomnia these days (more accurately, nights) and ploughed through this book as an attempted antidote. More fool I. Clarke has written a book --- really a textbook --- for the sophisticated student of architectural history (which I am not). It is not particularly well-written, in the sense that he has a literary style. He strives to be as clear as possible, and since I consider myself to be the baseline reader for this book, I would have to say that he succeeds. I un...more
Lanny

More than you'll ever want to know about the Roman House.
Architecture was my first love as a young mind, and I make these forays. I like certain particular things about ancient domociles, the niches, the inner courtyards. This book does alot to illustrate how Nero's personal tastes influenced the Roman home's ornamentation for quite a while.. It's a large, scholarly tome, a text-book basically.
Nanners
Nanners marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Doja Hassan
Doja Hassan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Abena
Abena marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Mar 10, 2014
Allegra
Allegra marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Botore
Botore marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Chris
Chris added it
Dec 24, 2010
TE
TE is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2009
Katy
Katy is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2013
Roman Sex: 100 BC to AD 250 Roman Life: 100 BC to AD 200 Looking at Lovemaking: Constructions of Sexuality in Roman Art 100 BC-AD 250 Art in the Lives of Ordinary Romans: Visual Representation & Non-elite Viewers in Italy 100 BC-AD 315 (Joan Palevsky Book in Classical Literature) Looking at Laughter: Humor, Power & Transgression in Roman Visual Culture 100 BC-AD 250