Start by marking “The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better” as Want to Read:

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Do you commit apostrophe atrocities?
Are you tormented by the lie/lay conundrum?
Do you find yourself stuck between floaters and danglers?
Do your subjects and your verbs refuse to agree?
If so, you're not alone. Some of the most prominent professionals in TV broadcasting and at major newspapers and magazines-people who really should know better-are guilty of making all-to
Published November 11th 2002 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Grouchy Grammarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grouchy Grammarian

Angie
I wish books like these had quizzes on the first few pages, so one can just flip to the sections that illustrate what they're having problems with. I liked how this pointed out the *mistakes* because I would often read one and go, "What's wrong with that?"

On page 44, there is an error. No, really, there is. The book has thus far been consistent in italicizing the words or phrases that have been used in the incorrect manner, and yet, in the second-to-last paragraph, the word "dye" is not italiciz
Feb 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English teachers and those who love the English language
Shelves: grammer
This book is a kick! It's been on my reading table for some time, but I recently discovered again and finally took the time time to read it. It's short, fun, entertaining (at times, I laughed outloud) and provides the reader with live examples of the 'grammer gone wrong' as identified by "The Grouchy Grammerian!"

Tim Kubiak, this would make great reading for you some day! Because you are writer who loves to break any rules of grammer, you would have a great time rebutting everyo one of these exam
Anne Michael
Although I did learn from The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better by Thomas Parrish, I feel it could have been written in a way that I could learn more. I actually walk away wondering if I give myself too much credit in the intelligence department. I was confused at times. Of course it just may be me and the way I learn, but it seemed many of the examples were not spelled out clear e ...more
Hannah
I found that this book taught me about the problems people make using grammar. I personally think there were points that I realized I was doing wrong, and things I already had the basic idea.
Cassie
I found myself agreeing with the grouch on many points while reading this book. I majored in journalism, worked as a copy editor for the school’s newspaper and now work in editing, and, over the years, I’ve encountered many of these errors on a daily basis. Subject-verb agreement is an issue that I see pop up often, and it bothers me almost as much as it seems to bother the grouch. A few points in the book were new to me (or I’ve forgotten them since my journalism days), so I felt like I learned ...more
Grey
This book inspired me to start my own little collection of notes as a mini reference aid.

It is not exactly for folks starting out to learn English, but for those who have lost their way down the line.
Seriously, people need to know about using apostrophes properly, the difference between "Ironically" and "Coincidentally", and stuff like Lie-Lay-Lain vs Lay-Laid-Laid.

I only regret is that this book doesn't tell people that it's "different from", NOT "different than". I hate people who use the sec
Christense Jiang
This book scratched an unreachable itch. I found it very validating. I'm glad to know that other people are bothered by the same inaccuracies that I am. It was nice to find out that I'm not just being picky, there is a grammatical/stylistic basis for my gripes. However, I also learned a lot from this book. I think I'll be referencing it again and again, I'm glad for the index in the back.
Martin
I read this as part of my ongoing research to hone my skills for a book I'm editing. Tangentially, it will improve my writing as well. The Grouch is particularly precise, and very demanding. He is far more persnickety than most other grammar sites and books that I've read. It all serves his overarching point, though, which is: think! A good lesson I've taken to heart. What shall I read next?
Alida
It's confirmed; I'm a geek.

I could figure out most of the errors mentioned but am sure I will still make them on a regular basis. Some of the mistakes cited were rather obscure, I thought. This book would be good to read on a regular basis if one was a serious amateur writer, although it is not as readable as a similar book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves.
Amy Pilkington
I was hoping to enjoy this book more, as I was told it was funny. Unfortunately, while it started well, I found that it often spent too much time giving example after example until I forgot the original point. All of the grammar notes in it are good to know, but it was a bit of a trial to finish.
Lily
As a student admiring the grouchy, I've enjoyed this book. It is witty enough to read to end and especially helpful for me to clarify some grammar things for a long time. (eg. 'of' has neutral meaning and comparing function. as likely popular as vs. more likely popular than)
Steve Spicer
This book takes a humurous approach to troubleshooting the most common mistakes made in writing. even though the boook is a list of dos and don'ts, it doesn't feel preachy. It also uses real word examples to highlight clearly what each common mistake is and how to correct it.
Heather
Apr 08, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked Eats, Shoots and Leaves or Sin and Syntax
It wasn't bad - I learned a few things that I haven't read before! I felt that some of the negative examples were tiresome, as was the imaginary conversation with the grouch. I get the schtick, but it grew old rather quickly.
James
Feb 29, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All writers
Useful and often quite funny. This is a nice reference for writers, and now has a place on my shelf along with other necessary tools like the dictionary, thesaurus, and various style manuals. Read it, you'll like it.
Genine Franklin-Clark

I'm a Grouchy Grammarian myself, so love this book, and agree with everything in it. Resounding "Yes!" frequently heard in my home as I read this.
Missy Kirtley
I hate reading books about grammar and writing, unless they've got an interesting spin. This book was interesting, and entertaining.
Linda
Nov 04, 2009 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: started 11-3-09 (interlibrary loan)
Very particular. Sometimes I didn't understand the point the author was trying to make. I guess I need that.
Marshaferz
Funny and useful - the reference to the Grammarian gets a little annoying, but the examples are very helpful.
Keren
This is a great grammar resource that rivals "Eats, Shoots and Leaves."
Donna
Can totally commiserate
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Kathcast
Kathcast marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Indigo
Indigo marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Coco
Coco marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Tanya Reber
Tanya Reber marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide for the Careful Speaker
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • The F-Word
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word for It
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • The Good Grammar Book
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
To Keep the British Isles Afloat: FDR's Men in Churchill's London, 1941 Berlin In The Balance: The Blockade, The Airlift, The First Major Battle Of The Cold War Roosevelt and Marshall: Partners in Politics and War The Ultra Americans: The U. S. Role In Breaking The Nazi Codes The American Codebreakers: The U.S. Role in Ultra