Start by marking “A Cheating Man's Heart” as Want to Read:
A Cheating Man's Heart

A Cheating Man's Heart

With his witty, humorous, and heartfelt writing style that took the social media world virally by storm, Derrick Jaxn delivers another lesson in love wrapped in the emotionally transparent perspective of a troubled man. Shawn Fletcher, a former college football phenom turned successful entrepreneur, is in need of the very thing he's never proven to be ready for; love. To ...more
Published November 15th 2013 (first published November 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Cheating Man's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cheating Man's Heart

chunk
Feb 19, 2014 chunk rated it it was ok
This wasn't that good to me. Sure there's this climatic ending that I guess made it somewhat interesting... but it seemed to come from nowhere and I found it unbelievable.

I feel like I read a different book than everyone else... This read more like the first _third_ of a book. Where's the rest? It's a story of a man and his first two relationships. And, well, that's kind of... it.

I thought to myself, I must be missing something... who is this person that this book has 5 star reviews? I thought
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Derrick Jaxn is a breath of fresh air! His book A Cheating Man's Heart made me fall head over heels for Shawn Fletcher! He's everything in a man every lady should want in her life. Did he have flaws, sure he did, he's human. What made Shawn stand out from the rest was his heart! He's not your typical guy and I enjoyed Derrick's tour into his mind, heart and heartbreak. I could not put this book down! When I was at work my mind was with Shawn! The emotions were so strong and raw. Each scene was ...more
Tameka
Jan 27, 2014 Tameka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a follower of Derrick Jaxn, I was excited to read this book. But after I started reading it, my excitement waned. The plot was predictable and drawn out. This seemed like the same old love story being told; the only difference were the character names. I think I'll go back to reading science-fiction, those storylines are more outside of the box and don't center around the same tired storylines and plot twists.
Opinionatedtosaytheleast
A conversation-provoking book for sure! There were moments I loved (the romantic moments) and others that made me beyond irritated.
I felt like he didn't truly capture the woman's essence in the scenarios he was giving. The characters he established and their actions didn't make sense to me.

This was a book club choice. And I am truly appreciative to my book club because the author was gracious enough to speak with us via skype, and really fill in the blanks that I had questions about.

Before spea
Deloris
Feb 19, 2014 Deloris rated it really liked it
I liked this book it was funny and new . A really good effort for a new author my rating is a 3.5. I do not know the author but I felt his personality all over this book. He gives us a funny story with romance , drama and a promise there will be another book ,it has to be because of how this one ends. Good job Derrick I look forward to knowing your literary works.
Sharmaine Riley
Apr 06, 2014 Sharmaine Riley rated it it was amazing
At first I was a little skeptical because it is rare to find book about relationships from a mans perspective. I picked up the book one night while having nothing to do and didn't put it down until it was finished. I loved every bit of it. I even recommended it to a friend. This is a MUST read.
Yanna Williams
Jan 03, 2014 Yanna Williams rated it it was amazing
Thoughts Rolling

I enjoyed this choice as my first read on my Kindle fire. The book is a definite attention getter and kept my interest. I recommend this book to my friends who have a passion for reading. The book comes to life. Looking forward to the next session with Jessica.
Connie
Jan 25, 2014 Connie added it
An interesting view from a male perspective of relationships.

Highly recommended.. Enjoyed every moment immensely. Is there a part 2?? If not I'll be waiting.. if so, what's the title?
Marissa
Jan 30, 2014 Marissa rated it it was amazing
This book will grab your attention and suck you in. If you have ever felt hopeless in relationship circumstances, this book is for you. I hope there will be a part two to this story. Looking forward to much more from this author.
Brittany
Jan 08, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Taught me everything

this was the most amazing book ever! it taught me what I have been doing wrong in relationships. I hope to hear more about this story
Zoe
Mar 13, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing
Good

Good

wonderful writing piece.!!!! I loved it and I hope u can write a part 2. more more . love it!!!!!!!!!
Claudine Bradford
Nov 14, 2016 Claudine Bradford rated it it was amazing
Page turner

It was well worth the time and money. I read this in a day. It was that good .. I love all the characters and details.
Emmanuela
Nov 17, 2016 Emmanuela rated it it was amazing
Love it

Great story, I've wrapped up in it for 3 days. I can not wait to start part 2. I teared up a bit
Lily Java
Feb 22, 2014 Lily Java rated it liked it
Almost every woman secretly wants to know a man who can emote. The kind of guy who isn't afraid to be honest about what he feels, to cry when we touch his heart, to make us laugh at his mistakes because he is so loyal and human. Derrick Jaxn has written a book about such a man and I have to confess the book was not what I was expecting. Mr. Jaxn has a writing style that is easy to absorb as well as be amused by. His protagonist's often flawed but common sense approach to his life experiences are ...more
Rachel Willis
Dec 18, 2013 Rachel Willis rated it really liked it
This kept me pretty intrigued. The end had me checking the page number in my Kindle app to in worry that Jaxn was going to leave me wanting more, and he did. In a good way though. I'll be checking out future books written by him.

I do have to add that there were some grammar/spelling mistakes that annoyed me. Most I was able to brush off because I figured the books were supposed to be written as a person might speak and it came across as honest. But 'full-proof' instead of foolproof really grated
Compton
Feb 22, 2014 Compton rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Raw. Real. Witty. Humorous.

Derrick Jaxn is paving way to a new type of fiction. Not the thriller or suspense or the drama filled types we're used to, but almost a hybrid between memoir and self-help with a creative twist. This novel had many advice points for couples that have been in similar situations and also speaks to more serious issues such as suicide and pain caused by trouble with family. I think anyone who doesn't enjoy this novel, is strictly looking for one type o
INeedBooks2Live
Aug 28, 2015 INeedBooks2Live rated it really liked it
Wow!

Derrick Janx’s a Cheating Man’s Heart is a well-told story that was quite the page turner. From the beginning Janx draws readers into the depths of the main character’s mind as he goes on a journey about love. This realistic-fiction novel was a great read with a great balance of sex, love, passion and pure raw emotion. It may even leave some readers thinking deeply about the ‘facts of life.’ Read it and you’ll see!
--karen Green-berry
Jul 29, 2014 --karen Green-berry rated it liked it
Shaun, Danielle and Jazmin- BRAB Online Book Club

This is a coming of age story told from a man's point of view. Shawn was raised by a single mother and never knew his father. His account of growing up from adolescence to manhood, navigating the ups and downs of relationship, was hilarious at times.

This is my first time reading this author's work and it was an okay read for me.
Jessica Terry
Jan 15, 2014 Jessica Terry rated it really liked it
This was a really good story. I like how the character Shawn grew and matured throughout the book but was still clearly flawed. Of course I feel like I was left hanging because I'd like to know how what happened that night in the park came to be with Danielle and Jazmin, but hopefully a sequel isn't to far behind.
Shameka Sims
Feb 02, 2015 Shameka Sims rated it it was amazing
A must read!

I was browsing instagram and someone I'm following stated you must read this book by Derrick Jaxen and follow his page....well I'm glad I did because I couldn't put this book down!!! Really worth reading! Starting part 2 now!! Oh yes follow him on instagram I enjoy his quotes!!
Tamika Jones
Jun 10, 2016 Tamika Jones rated it it was amazing
Good read

This was not a fantasy but everyday life going on now And then. This book helped give a little insight on how some men think and view women in certain situations. Love it.
MidnightAce
Jun 23, 2014 MidnightAce rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this author through book discussion pick. I was a little apprehensive at first, but the storyline wasn't what I expected from the tittle. It was something different, did enjoy reading it and would like to know what's next for Shawn.
Jennifer L Tolliver
Apr 18, 2015 Jennifer L Tolliver rated it it was amazing
Page turning

Love the book. It was page turning and a lot of suspense. This book teaches the importance of real, honest communication in a relationship. Without it, it leaves ALOT of assumptions.
Vanesha Boyd
Dec 27, 2014 Vanesha Boyd rated it really liked it
Worth a read!

I think this book gave some good insight on relationships and how we can sometimes make assumptions that can do more harm. I think there were some details that could have been elaborated. Overall it was a good read. I'm now ready for part 2.
Ashley Harris
Aug 25, 2015 Ashley Harris rated it it was amazing
Great read!!

It was great. I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to start book # 2. Definitely a must read!!!
Alicia F Jackson
Jan 17, 2016 Alicia F Jackson rated it really liked it
GREAT quick read!

GREAT quick read about pressure, youth, hope, love, lost, and resiliency! I'm very curious about what happens next! Check it out!
Wendy L. Squires
May 10, 2014 Wendy L. Squires rated it liked it
A good read

A good and easy read. I enjoyed the book. I found it to be thought provoking. I hope there is more to this story.....
Mikeisha Dominique-Fleming
Oct 23, 2014 Mikeisha Dominique-Fleming rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly Superb

I'm anxiously anticipating the next part of this book!!!!! It wasn't what I expected and turned out to be exactly EVERYTHING!
Katrelle
Feb 04, 2015 Katrelle rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely great!! This book was an eye opener in so many ways! Definitely a page turn!! I've already downloaded the sequel!!
Melissa
Sep 21, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Read this in 2days

Too short is my only complaint. This is a page turner glad I already have book 2 in my library otherwise I would be left hanging to find out what happened next
  • The New Homeowner's Guide to House Spirits
  • A Woman's Worth (A Woman's Worth #1)
  • The Illest Chick
  • Wifetress: One Man's Wife, Another Man's Mistress
  • Trifling
  • True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself
  • Bottom Bitch Rises
  • The Eleventh Commandment (Hallelujah Love #8)
  • Kai (Deja #6)
  • COMMUNITY TERROR
  • Ghetto Pocahontas
  • You Should Let Me Love You: Candace and David's Story
A man is as a man does; not says, hopes, or promises. Derrick Jaxn (Jackson), a native of Enterprise, Alabama, found his purpose in his exceptional ability to impact lives by relating to others through the written world. The former student athlete turned author and spoken word poet grew up as the youngest of 5 in a single parent household. Jaxn witnessed his mother overcome life threatening ...more
More about Derrick Jaxn...

“You don't belong to me. You belong to the people that hurt you. Because everything you do to me is a result of what they did to you.” 2 likes
“I'm not ready for a relationship" turns into "I told you I didn't want a relationship in the first place" later on if you force it.” 1 likes