Start by marking “Annie May's Black Book” as Want to Read:
Annie May's Black Book

Annie May's Black Book

Entries from Annie May's Black Book: October 15th, 1974: Miss Baker for telling me how to blow my nose and not believing when I still couldn't do it. February 6th, 1977: David Llewellyn for saying my landscape painting looked like a pig's trough and then making honking noises every time he saw me. April 12th, 1987: Peter Elton for 'borrowing' my cigarettes and never buying ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Annie May's Black Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annie May's Black Book

Petra Eggs
Feb 05, 2009 Petra Eggs rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
It got four stars for being a nice quick easy read....but seriously...no...just no. I could not at all take Annie seriously a woman who gas held grudges particularly against the man who stood her up at the altar would just decide to be civil to him....I felt she needed to get a grip. Really liked her sister lily am outspoken yet delicate character. I quite like this authors books but just felt this one lacked enough reality and I hated the ending.
Leah
Aug 18, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
Looking at my rather large TBR pile today I decided to give Debby Holt’s Annie May’s Black Book a whirl. Having never read a book of Debby’s I didn’t know what to expect but I’m pleased to report I enjoyed Annie May’s Black Book!

In 1988 Annie May was jilted at the altar by Ben Seymour. He was subsequently entered into her black book (full of all the names and offences of those who have done wrong to her) and his offence was by far the worst! 17 years later he’s moving into a house around the cor
Lorraine Sears
Aug 13, 2016 Lorraine Sears rated it it was amazing
Reading in the summer holidays is always frustrating for me as I don't get as much time as I would usually, so it's unusual for me to ever finish a whole book, therefore Annie May's Black Book, it should be noted, must be a good one as I made time to read it whenever I could. Including when sat down around the family and all the distractions that come with them--definitely the mark of a good read when I can concentrate with so much going on around me.

Yes it's another chic-lit book, but I really
denise
Dec 20, 2015 denise rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who has plenty of time to waste.
2.4

I finished this book two days ago and I am still disappointed. There are many things that I liked, to be quite honest, but everything was kinda predictable and the story was so messy, some characters were terribly annoying and they were also badly introduced… My memory sucks and there are just too many names.

“So, who the hell is this guy? Henry? Is this his first appearance?”, “Oh my God, I think I mistook them again. This girl was... wait who’s Mark?”, “Which cousin/sister/dog--”

Well. At s
Sofia
Oct 22, 2015 Sofia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Il libro nel complesso è piacevole, ma ha dei grossi problemi: prima di tutto, ci sono troppi personaggi e, a parte quattro o cinque, dovevo continuamente spremermi le meningi per ricordarmi da dove uscisse quella tale persona.
Il secondo grosso problema è che la parte romance non coinvolge quanto dovrebbe, anzi, non coinvolge affatto. E dato che questo libro è spacciato per romanzo rosa, è un guaio (SPOILER - La metafora del trifide è una delle cose più brutte e raccapriccianti di cui abbia mai
Daisy
Aug 18, 2012 Daisy rated it really liked it
I just wish the ending was a bit different :/ I'm glad of the way the story turned out but the way the author did it just didn't seem right...
Despite this I was very much involved with the story. It is really easy to empathise with Annie and all those that involved in her life. You understand her point of view completely and even when it's hard to agree with her you still see her reasoning behind it. I definitely think she is a hard character to truly like because of how she is all negative but
Barbara Elsborg
Apr 20, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it it was amazing
A cut above other chicklit stories and I really enjoyed it. Annie is jilted at the altar and seventeen years later - most of which she's not very happy - her ex comes back into her world. I like the way Annie is so stroppy about talking to Ben, the man who jilted her. The cast of supporting characters was great, relationships interesting and well thought out. There was one - oh my God - moment that I hadn't seen coming and I LOVE when that happens. The device of the black book - detailing the na ...more
Aug 05, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
So i picked this book because the title sounded interesting and i really liked the fact that the main character kept a little black book of all the people that had done wrong to her, oh yeah and it was $2. I admit that i have done the same thing throughout my entire life but i keep the running tally in my brain. The book was mediocre, i would give it 2.5 stars but it did give me some moments where i laughed out loud. Very simple story. Jumped around a fair bit so got a little confusing sometimes ...more
Ariel Brown
Aug 02, 2014 Ariel Brown rated it it was amazing
Do you want a good laugh? Enjoy romantic drama? If you do this book is a good read! Or to listen to the audio book version - which is read by Debbie Holt. Formatted in a "black book" diary format, it recounts all the small injustices suffered by Annie, including the biggest one of being jilted on her wedding day. Normally not a fan of humorous fiction, this book literally had me in "stitches"!
Fluffychick
A quick fluffy read...but was too cliched (even for this genre) and I got confused and then decided it didn't matter (which it didn't) with Annie's friends names, they were all interchangable middle class, who cares?! I know it's set in Bath but it was all a bit smug...
Nurdinie Hanum Muhammad Noor
Sorry but i really tried to finish it but i just can't.

Its getting more rediculous as i proceed mu reading. And it got to much of events going on and a lot of characters. Maybe i am not that challenging enough for this read.
Jodie
Mar 03, 2016 Jodie rated it liked it
Ok, so I didn't mind it. The plot was predictable and there were, it seemed like, a trillion characters! The thing I could not yet passed and had no idea how it was missed in editing... Adam Chandler. That is all.
Diane
Oct 25, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
I am only sorry that it took me so long to get around to reading this.
A great book with a fantastic twist that means you cannot put it down.
How do peoples actions affect us, are we really a good friend or self obsessed and if you hold onto anger who rearly suffers and is it worth it?
Joanne Nock
May 15, 2011 Joanne Nock rated it liked it
just started today, going for a bit of pleasant escapism after "Lord of The Flies" . First I had read by this author. Enjoyed it, but not a huge fan of books that jump around between past and present.
Sara Hollett
Apr 22, 2013 Sara Hollett rated it liked it
Read this after reading Love Affairs for Grownups and did not enjoy it quite as much. Having said that it was a good story.
Jodi MacDonald
Jul 07, 2011 Jodi MacDonald rated it liked it
I liked this novel because it is set in Britain and I used to live there. I thought the ending was a little unbelievable.
Samantha
Mar 15, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
excellent girly book ,couldnt put it down.
Marita Pethick
Aug 18, 2016 Marita Pethick rated it it was amazing
A bit different to the books I normally read, not only it was an original story but also a very enjoyable one with a powerful message. Five happy stars.
Sue
Oct 09, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Lovely easy read and fun
Beth Lloyd
Mar 20, 2012 Beth Lloyd rated it liked it
Reread from my bookshelf

Really enjoyed. One of the better chic-lit books I've read for a while.
Jolien
Dec 14, 2016 Jolien rated it liked it
Louise Ludbrook
Jun 28, 2009 Louise Ludbrook rated it it was ok
Not a bad book. Good to read when you don't want something too challenging.
Mehak Garg
Jul 21, 2016 Mehak Garg rated it liked it
A good read but not exactly my type of book. ..
Cameron Callaghan
Mar 14, 2012 Cameron Callaghan rated it liked it
Cute little read that won't take long and will create a few giggles along the way.
Meinwen Sayle
Jul 22, 2016 Meinwen Sayle rated it liked it
Very enjoyable chick lit.
Jane
Apr 26, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009, chick-lit
Not my usual fare, but a fun read. Could guess the end but not the route that the story took
Bhavya
Jan 03, 2016 Bhavya rated it liked it
A light, fun, sweet, relatable (whatever the last one says about me, don't care!) read! :D
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2017
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
  • Did the Earth Move?
  • Hens Reunited
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder
  • Notting Hell (Notting Hell Trilogy, #1)
  • Going It Alone
  • Out of the Blue
  • Angels in the Snow
  • Confessions Of A Demented Housewife: The Celebrity Year
  • If I Were You
  • Deranged Marriage
  • Strictly Love
Debby Holt lives with her husband in Bath. She started writing short stories when her five children were small. She wrote her first novel, The Ex-Wife’s Survival Guide in 2006. Since then, she has written three more: Annie May’s Black Book, The Trouble with Marriage and Love Affairs for Grown-Ups. Having been a spectacularly useless teacher in the past, she is fully aware of how lucky she is to be ...more
More about Debby Holt...