Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  25 reviews
At 18, smalltown Vermonter Valerie O'Connor marries gorgeous, macho airplane mechanic Jack Marsh and moves with him to Seattle, then California, where she pursues her dream of raising a large family and he pursues other women. As disappointment turns to anger and need to rage, Jack turns to drink. Valerie bears the brunt of his outbursts—though her children do not escape u...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Closed Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Closed Doors

Lisa
It took a while to get into this book, but I'm glad I stuck with it.
While others have complained about character development, I think it was written this way to show the abuse and how it can can shape and form the lives of the whole family. The choices and the paths each of the kids took and how their lives ended up. It wasn't a chick lit fluffy story that gets all wrapped up in a bow. Nor was it an emotional journey detailing and resolving every little thing that happened in Valarie's life.
I do...more
Mary
Aug 17, 2014 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Raised in a large, loving, closely-knit Irish Catholic family living in Vermont, Valerie O'Connor is a sheltered and innocent young woman who comes of age during the 1950s. At the age of eighteen, Valerie meets and falls desperately in love with twenty-five-year-old Jack Marsh - a handsome, dashing Korean War veteran and a member of the Air Force. Valerie has been raised with the belief that a wife is subservient to her husband and a mother must keep her family together no matter what. However,...more
Emma
I wasn't so sure about reading this book but it turned out really well. It was very interesting, especially the way it explored each characters reaction to the events in the book.
Amanda Trost
This is one of the most realistic novels about domestic abuse I have ever read. The end is amazing.
Cynthia Barko
A really good read about a women, abuse, and her family over three generations.
Michelle
This was my first time reading a book by Susan R. Sloan, and will probably be my last.

My favorite part of reading is the character development, where the character becomes someone you care about so you feel drawn back to the book to see whats going to happen, but 'Behind Closed Doors' didn't do that for me. Yes, I was interested in seeing where everyone's lives went but I could have easily just put the book down, and not have returned.

In their 60+ years of marriage Valerie and Jack had five chi...more
Kelly
I'm having a hard time enjoying this one. The characters are underdeveloped and I feel no connection to them whatsoever. Valerie is unbelievably, annoyingly naive. She's had 7 pregnancies in 6 years (resulting in 5 children and 2 miscarriages), despite the fact that her husband uses condoms b/c he doesn't want to have children. Lol. The storyline just feels very one-dimensional with no depth of emotion to speak of. It's all just words on a page to me about a woman I would like to strangle myself...more
Amanda Mathis
This story will follow you for years to come. Written in such vivid detail that you can relate with the characters on so many levels, you won't want to put it down - if fact, I couldn't...literally stayed up all night to finish it. Great book.
Megan
A touching and terrifying look into the seldom told tales of abusive homes. A story about life, love and a family that slowly falls apart. Chilling and yet inspiring all at once, a really great book.
I really enjoyed this book. I took it on vacation and read it poolside in a day. The characters were interesting and the plot held my interest. Definitely recommended for a quick read.
Lisa Alexa
This, beside guilt by association(which that book kinda resembles the preppy murder case, but with justice!) is my favorite book by her. I have read this wife being battered book a thousand times and Jack is a true psychopath.
The ending got a little lost with the drug use of her youngest son, that's the only part that dragged. But other than that,this book takes on the tale, kinda like "The burning bed"by Farrah. Again, the ending will surprise you. Great, thick murder mystery.
Janet Richards
Lack of character development strikes again. Several sudden and mysterious transformations that were inadequately explained made the story loose it's appeal. I think it tried to tell too much over too much time. A smaller time period and tighter focused would have helped me not feel like "what just happened" as the story lurched foreward. I've read sagas and stories over long time periods before that didn't do this - it just wasn't handled well in this case, seemed rushed.
Didichan
Raine could you be any more cheap... i am starting to understand what TSTL heroine is... goodness i hate girls that are just to easy ... this the reason i hate romantic suspense .... the girls have no self respect.... the man called her a slut or was it whore ... this story is was than a cheap xrated video ... what a disgusting book .. i would never read any think by this woman again with her disrespect for me and her female lead that lack any sense of dignity ... sicking
Abby
This was an exciting novel... I don't know if its just me and my naïveté but I don't understand why someone would stay in an abusive relationship, despite religious beliefs- perhaps it was the way in the 50s, but it's not what I'd do now, or hope would be what my friends would do. I wanted to know more about what happened to her children as they left home. Interesting to see through the generations of the one family and how lives played out.
Paula
While I enjoyed reading this book, I thought it was just ok with a lot of unfinished threads, ie, if a woman who wanted 10 kids (whose husband wanted none?!) how come we never read another word about her hysterectomy? Surely in a woman like her, this would have caused her to go into a downward spiral much earlier. Also, children left her and it was kind of never mentioned again? Lots of undeveloped/unfinished threads.
Dawn
Oct 14, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.
Recommended to Dawn by: My friend Barb
This was an amazing book! I could not put it down. There are not very many books that are over 500 pages that I have read as quickly as this one. The story grabbed me from the very first page and left me stunned by the very last sentence of the book. This book is an "edge of your seat" thriller that will leave you stunned.
Jay
Such a heart-touching story. I will strongly recommend to other readers, although I found myself literally throwing the book to the floor after Jack accidently let the baby-girl fall to her death all because he was upset that his jump-off had given him walking papers.
Kathy
I was not disappointed. Susan Sloan kept my interest through every chapter. She presented a very real picture of spousal abuse and how it effects everyone in a family.
Teala Garden
Sep 12, 2013 Teala Garden marked it as to-read
I've read it before and enjoyed it, but I can't read it on the app it's quite annoying.
Katie
Definately a page turner, but difficult at times due to nature and content of story line.
Horsefeathersranch
Aug 29, 2009 Horsefeathersranch added it
Recommended to Horsefeathersranch by: Joanne
I have just started this book, but it has my intrest so far.
Jul 03, 2007 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is catholic
excellent. Sloan is a very good author.
Betty
Great book to read while on vacation.
very predictable.
Angela
A real page turner!!
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Guilt by Association An Isolated Incident Act of God Susan Sloan Omnibus: "Guilt by Association," "An Isolated Incident" Karen Au Coeur De La Nuit